to think most part-time workers don't know what's about to hit them?! (Universal Credit)

(1000 Posts)
aufaniae Thu 31-Jan-13 23:32:41

Do you work part-time and get Working Tax Credit or Housing Benefit?

Did you know that once you're on Universal Credit, you'll be expected to attend the Job Centre to prove that you're looking for better paid work / more hours, in much the same way as unemployed people must prove they're looking for work.

If the Job Centre find an interview for you, you will have to attend (with 48 hours notice) even if it clashes with your paid work.

If you are offered a job with more hours, or better pay than your current one, you will be obliged to take it, even if you have good reason for not wanting to e.g. it's only a temporary post (whereas your current one is permanent) / has no training & worse prospects than your current job / makes picking your children up from school impossible / requires you to travel much further / has nothing to do with the career you're following.

If you don't attend the interview and/or take the job, your UC will be sanctioned, you will lose the UC for months or even years (depending on if it's your first infraction).

You will be forced to continue "upgrading" your job until you earn the equivalent of minimum wage for 35 hours a week.

I suspect there are lots of people (e.g. parents who work part time so they can pick their kids up from school) who will be affected by this, but don't realise it yet.

More info here

rainrainandmorerain Fri 01-Feb-13 23:57:23

Itsallgoingtobefine - here, read and weep! - www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2013/jan/01/universal-credit-computer-failures

The idea of hmrc administering anything on this scale appalls me. They seem to be driving through whatever the problems are though.

spottyblanket Sat 02-Feb-13 00:03:12

ifnotnowthenwhen
You see it as it is, and put it far more eloquently than I can. Grandma story was spot on.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Sat 02-Feb-13 00:10:13

rain bloody hell 25% failure rate, and that's just the pilots shock

Surely running this ridiculous scheme is going to cost vastly more than it saves? And maybe I am not being that naive in hoping it is never fully implemented smile

rainrainandmorerain Sat 02-Feb-13 00:21:44

itsallgoingtobefine - real time pay info is starting this April and I think October 2013 is when UC is being rolled out nationwide? Will check...

I think Scottish independence is your best bet!

rainrainandmorerain Sat 02-Feb-13 00:26:39

I'm right - www.dwp.gov.uk/policy/welfare-reform/universal-credit/

Poor NW get it April 2013 as guineapigs - then it goes nationwide (in stages) in October 2013. From April 2014 all new claims will be processed as Universal Credit.

PeppermintLatte Sat 02-Feb-13 00:27:45

It starts this april with "test areas" it then rolls out nationally in october with all new claimants & all existing claimants on job seekers being moved over first. April 2014 is when all the other existing claimants (those who receive WTC etc..) will start to be phased over, this continues until 2017 when everybody will be on UC.

lazybastard Sat 02-Feb-13 00:33:20

I'm going to start praying that I can qualify before it hits us then so they can't force me to quit before finishing. Then I'll be in a better position to actually succeed at job hunting.

PeppermintLatte Sat 02-Feb-13 00:35:57

I think i'm ok until april 2014, then i really don't know what i'm going to do? I'll end up doing sex chat lines at home to ensure my self employment hits minimum wage every month!

Darkesteyes Sat 02-Feb-13 01:55:25

Peppermint im willing to bet you wont be the only one. I used to work in a chatline office years ago.
And i really believe that more people will enter this job and the more "serious" jobs in the sex industry as a result of this.

MerryCouthyMows Sat 02-Feb-13 02:00:28

How much savings do you think you'd need if you were in a good financial situation, had 3 DC's THAT YOU COULD EASILY AFFORD TO LOOK AFTER, and then were barred by law from your previous profession due to being diagnosed with a specific disability?

Because I can tell you - I had £20k in savings at the point this happened to me, I was buying my own beautiful home, I was the higher earner of the couple, my Ex (partner at the time) was on NMW.

We burned through that £20k in less than a year, trying to survive, eat, look after the DC's, and attempting (and failing) to keep the roof over our heads.

It can turn to shit fucking quickly even if you are a higher rate taxpayer.

We didn't qualify for any benefits, because we had that £20k in savings, we weren't considered for help at all until we had less than £6k in the bank, and the help was only minimal until we had less than £1k left.

So why do people always go on about scrounger's having DC's they couldn't afford? Do all of you have a crystal ball, that tells you whether you are going to be subject to redundancy, disability, becoming a carer for elderly parents, your partner cheating on you, a relationship breakdown or divorce, one of your DC's having a disability that wasn't obvious at birth? That tells you if any of these (or many other things that might limit your ability to work FT) will happen in the next 18 years, so that you choose not to have DC's in case one or the other of these things arise?

Because I sure as hell didn't have one. Where can I put in my complaint and my request for my old life back?

I'd swap my disabilities for the ability to work in my old profession in a heartbeat. I'd give anything for all of my DC's to be healthy and not need extra care. I don't WANT to be scraping for every penny.

Anyone who actively CHOOSES to live like this, on benefits, rather than working, has FAR bigger issues than just a bit of laziness going on.

MerryCouthyMows Sat 02-Feb-13 02:00:37

How much savings do you think you'd need if you were in a good financial situation, had 3 DC's THAT YOU COULD EASILY AFFORD TO LOOK AFTER, and then were barred by law from your previous profession due to being diagnosed with a specific disability?

Because I can tell you - I had £20k in savings at the point this happened to me, I was buying my own beautiful home, I was the higher earner of the couple, my Ex (partner at the time) was on NMW.

We burned through that £20k in less than a year, trying to survive, eat, look after the DC's, and attempting (and failing) to keep the roof over our heads.

It can turn to shit fucking quickly even if you are a higher rate taxpayer.

We didn't qualify for any benefits, because we had that £20k in savings, we weren't considered for help at all until we had less than £6k in the bank, and the help was only minimal until we had less than £1k left.

So why do people always go on about scrounger's having DC's they couldn't afford? Do all of you have a crystal ball, that tells you whether you are going to be subject to redundancy, disability, becoming a carer for elderly parents, your partner cheating on you, a relationship breakdown or divorce, one of your DC's having a disability that wasn't obvious at birth? That tells you if any of these (or many other things that might limit your ability to work FT) will happen in the next 18 years, so that you choose not to have DC's in case one or the other of these things arise?

Because I sure as hell didn't have one. Where can I put in my complaint and my request for my old life back?

I'd swap my disabilities for the ability to work in my old profession in a heartbeat. I'd give anything for all of my DC's to be healthy and not need extra care. I don't WANT to be scraping for every penny.

Anyone who actively CHOOSES to live like this, on benefits, rather than working, has FAR bigger issues than just a bit of laziness going on.

Mosman Sat 02-Feb-13 02:18:36

MerryCouthyMows - it's all relative, for you you've fallen on hard times being on benefits, if you've never worked more than a minimum wage job your actually no worse off but you don't have to work and have a lickle baby to play with for a while and everyone is interested in your well being because you have that child possibly for the first time since you were very small yourself.
You're judging by your standards which we're all guilty of but is pretty inaccurate for any of us tbh.

Darkesteyes Sat 02-Feb-13 02:20:31

Hi Couthy. Good to see you back on here. smile

LineRunner Sat 02-Feb-13 02:42:25

What happens when Labour get back in in 2015?

expatinscotland Sat 02-Feb-13 03:36:28

I don't know. But at the time, the world thought these people were really really stupid. By signing, these people became traitors, subject to hang. They signed anyway, because the government just went too far. And again, Britain declared them fools and traitors. It wasn't to be the first time or the last.

You can push people only so far, before enough of them don't buy into the politics of hate and blame, and laugh at them, and call them fools and whatever term you want to assign to Americans, Irish or Scottish, before they just get pushed over the edge.

So keep going, Tory government!

signanddie

expatinscotland Sat 02-Feb-13 03:47:52

Push away! Beggar us, again! All during 2013 and into 2014. Make us your scapegoat, that's all we ever are or were to you, you see as something that costs you, not as people but just a non-functioning wheel. Well, it's not the first time. And for you laugh at Ireland and poke fun of them, they're still going, they have not collapsed. They won't, either. Same way you laughed at America. Now you hate them. And the apple didn't fall far from the tree, in more ways than you'll ever know. But they're free, for all their mistakes, they are free. And they're still strong.

Go on, with your Tory policies of whipping up hate instead of patriotism, blame, pettiness and hate. Best of luck! Because Hitler put it best, 'Hate is more lasting than dislike.'

Mosman Sat 02-Feb-13 05:56:43

Have you been drinking ?

zebrafinch Sat 02-Feb-13 06:10:56

Merry people who have children and who currently believe there will be a safety net for them will have to burn through their savings before they get any help under Universal
Credit. LIke you have done they will have to burn through the savings they have accumulated to be eligible . If Your partner is badly injured in a car accident, becomes mentally ill, dies, one of your kids becomes seriously ill so you have to give up work, a child is born disabled, your elderly parent needs you to care for them child tax credits would have helped you to keep going and minimise the effect on your children. Under Universal Credit you will have to choose between being a Carer and living off your savings or not being a Carer and keeping the security you have built up. I think there will be a demand for more places to put our sick and disabled relatives whilst some people decide to work and not be a Carer.

zebrafinch Sat 02-Feb-13 06:19:23

Also meant to say good post Merry you are so right it can all turn to shit pretty quickly when that unexpected event hits you out of the blue.

pmgkt Sat 02-Feb-13 06:57:06

I have only read the first few pages and by no means claim to be a political mind, but it reads to me that there is a lot of scare mongering going on. There are plenty of part time workers who do not claim any benefits, but reading what I have in here makes it sound like overnight every school is going to loose its dinner ladies, cleaners etc cos they will be forced to leave and take different jobs. And that simply won't happen, there aren't the jobs out there. I agree that there are things not right with this policy, such as forcing someone to do more hours but cos of childcare making them worse off, but I also do think planning your family's finances around what you can claim is foolish given that policies on such things can and will be changed at a moments notice. (note I am not talking about when circumstances change like redundancy) plus what is wrong with encouraging people to support themselves, again people on here are focusing on doing more hours, but I don't see a problem at all with people being forced into better pay albeit in a job that isn't what they want to do especially if the hours are still fitting personal circumstance.

lazybastard Sat 02-Feb-13 08:03:46

Mosman I find your posts offensive and highly patronising. It's attitudes like yours that make succeeding at job hunting more difficult and make coping with the situation more difficult.

lazybastard Sat 02-Feb-13 08:14:56

I was thinking this morning. If I had committed a heinous crime I'd be entitled to a warm, dry roof over my head, 3 proper meals a day, time to go to a gym, TV, playstation, spiritual support etc. It would be my human rights.

However my only crimes were being made redundant and struggling to find a job for the same pay. Because if this just food and shelter are begrudged to me. I made to feel guilty for eating, made to feel evil for turning on the heating for my children when temperatures outside are below zero.

What kind of society grants greater status and more rights to a mass murderer than they do to hard working, honest people who have fallen on hard times due to circumstances rather than something they have done wrong.

ledkr Sat 02-Feb-13 09:10:01

I feel really sorry for the children of lone parents in all this. No chance of sharing childcare and without two lots of leave to spread across school holidays many will have to be in childcare during their school break.
There won't be much help or time for homework or out of school activities and days off/weekends will be filled with essential chores.
I think some effort needs to go into making the absent parent pay a regular and decent amount which would subsidise the main carer to work less thus have some time left to parent!

lazybastard Sat 02-Feb-13 09:16:50

They won't do that ledkr. Statistically lone parents are more likely to be women. As far as the Tories are concerned single mums are evil no matter how they became single. Single dads however are Herod.

ledkr Sat 02-Feb-13 09:25:57

I know that's what worries me. When I was single parent with four dc I worked pt and had a small amount of wtc but ex paid did all and as far as I know nobody has ever chased him for it. If he'd have paid for his dc I could have not needed the wtc.
I can't imagine how I'd have managed ft. I'd me re have seen them and three were doing exams activities which needed my input and as for the poor baby she'd have been with childcare must if her life. No chance of quality time with a parent. At least with two parents time for the children can be spread.
As a child social worker I really think we will see effects from this lack of adequate parental time.

This thread is not accepting new messages.