Is ds acting a bit spoilt?

(39 Posts)
idlovetogo Wed 30-Jan-13 10:23:52

I'm sure I'm not bu for saying no. I know this is trivial.

He's only 4 and he wants to go on holiday, he keeps asking all the time when we can book one. Of course I'd love to just jump on a plane somewhere nice and sunny, but I'm a single parent so don't have endless supplies of money, my job is a bit iffy right now, and I need to get a few house things sorted before dipping into my money.

As I say he's only 4 and we've so far been on 3 uk mini breaks and 2 holidays abroad. Last year we went on a seaside holiday for my sisters wedding and when he realised we were driving and not going to the airport he had a mini tantrum but soon after he did say it was the best holiday ever.

He just keep asking when we can go on and aeroplane on that holiday like we did before. I've explained that holidays cost lots and lots of money and that I've got to buy x and x, and that after that maybe we can go, but it won't be for a long time until after his birhday at least and maybe even after my birthday. I said that if we can't go we can still go to the beach and have some days out. But then he just goes and gets his money box and says he'll pay, so I explain it's not enough money and not the right type as we need the money that comes off mummys card. So he pulls a grumpy face then asks all over again the next day.

I don't know if he's being spoilt, he is a nice little boy, or if I'm not explaining properly. I actually end up feeling bad that I can't but I didn't go on any holidays at all as a child, not even in the UK so I hardly think he's that hard done by.

Before I get flamed I know this is trivial.

DreamingOfTheMaldives Wed 30-Jan-13 11:13:15

I thought him going to get his moneybox and saying he would pay is adorable!

PenelopePipPop Wed 30-Jan-13 11:20:11

He doesn't sound at all spoilt, he sounds really lovely. Getting that excited about his Grandad's birthday is very sweet. But I appreciate rather tiring if you have to keep having the same conversation!

Visual aids have helped us a lot with DD who is only 2.5 and sometimes has tantrums because not every day is swimming day.
I wrote the days of the week on the door of the fridge (in permanent marker oops) and then put pictures on magnets of her activities so she can see what she is doing each day and see how many days/sleeps between now and the next swimming.

Re: camping, DH goes camping with DD by himself all the time so it must be possible. Not sure how much fun it is (he is a weirdy!). But check out the pop-up tents at Decathlon if you want one you can put up by yourself. You might need a hand taking it down mind, but hopefully by then you'll have made friends on the campsite and someone will be along to assist!

idlovetogo Wed 30-Jan-13 11:22:33

wannabedomesticgoddess that's very sweet, yes if we go a different route ds pipes up "it's not THIS way".

WilsonFricket I do keep meaning to get him a calendar, think I'll order one it will help him to know when his birthday is etc.

dreamingofthemaldives it is very sweet, I just feel more bad telling him it's not enough.

idlovetogo Wed 30-Jan-13 11:31:00

Thanks penelope I'm going to get him a calendar, makes sense then I can write everything on it, kept meaning to do it before.

That's lovely that you DH and DD go camping, I'm not very confident and a bit of a worrier, I might go with dsis next time she mentions it and see then if I think I'm up to it by myself, no good reason why not I suppose we'd only need a tiny tent.

The other thing he gets fixated with is chocolate, cake etc. So if I buy a tub of mini muffins for example I'll say he can have just one and one tomorrow, but because he knows they're there I don't hear the end of it. He'll keep on can he just have one more, can he have one tomorrow after breakfast, can he have one straight after school with a drink, can he just hold them to look after them. Honestly you'd think he was starved sometimes.

BarbarianMum Wed 30-Jan-13 11:39:27

4 years old = no sense of time and no idea about money in my book. He's behaving entirely appropriately. And yes, it is annoying.

My ds1, for years, thought that when daddy went to work it was literally to make money. Boy was he ever disappointed when we visited him at the office and there was no money, ink or machinery just boring bits of paper. smile

PenelopePipPop Wed 30-Jan-13 11:42:23

Ha we have the chocolate muffin problem with sodding Peppa Pig strawberry fromage frais. On the bright side I reckon her number skills are awesome for two because of all the complex negotiations about how many she can have today, tomorrow and the day after before they run out and I refuse to buy any more. And yeah we get 'I'm just holding them'.

Small people = baffling.

ByTheWay1 Wed 30-Jan-13 11:44:43

He sounds lovely not spoilt.

Probably just loved going on am aeroplane - it is "special" isn't it - I always get excited about going on a plane and I'm nearly 50.....

delboysfileofax Wed 30-Jan-13 11:54:57

Is he just really really into planes/flying? If so a couple of options. You could take him to the airport to the viewing gallery so he could watch them taking off? When you get home make him a cockpit (cardboard box etc) and play a game of pilots.

If you live near an airport send an email to an airline- ask them if your boy can have a look around one of their planes on the ground. They did this for me in the past. If you dont ask, you dont get!

idlovetogo Wed 30-Jan-13 11:56:55

Ah, they do take things absolutely literally don't they.

Yes, negotiating things, but if I do this I can have one more. Even tells me I can have one too.

Yes going on a plane is great, I didn't go until I was 13 but even moreso at 4, ah well when my lottery numbers come up...

idlovetogo Wed 30-Jan-13 11:59:37

delboys I think it's a bit of everything, he made a friend last time and he sometimes thinks his friend will still be there. That was nice of them to do that, I'm sure he'd love that.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Wed 30-Jan-13 12:03:20

He sounds just like my DS1.

We went to Italy last summer for a wedding, it was his first time on a plane and he loved it.

We went away again in October, just a long weekend in the UK, to a really lovely hotel with loads for the kids to do, nice food etc.
As we tucked him into bed on the first night, he said 'mummy I like it here, but I do think I prefer Italy'. I was like this shock grin

delboysfileofax Wed 30-Jan-13 12:04:36

my teacher managed to sort me out going to an RAF base when I was little and i got to sit in a tornado! (was so excited i cried!) Send an email find out what people can do. You'd be surprised how many will help!

Branleuse Wed 30-Jan-13 12:07:35

not spoilt. normal.
if my kids go on about something like holidays i get excited about fantasy holidays with them and we plan on what we Will do one day. ill tell them it takes lots and lots of money.

choccyp1g Wed 30-Jan-13 12:14:29

If you are near SW London, the Brooklands museum is great for transport obsessions..they have classic cars, old aeroplanes, a concorde that you can sit in etc.

When DS was little we went a lot, and sometimes they had special days with classic car rallies at no extra cost.

You do have to pay extra for the concorde experience though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now