to want to book a Haven holiday?

(76 Posts)
Madmum24 Wed 30-Jan-13 09:07:08

I am in the mood for a holiday and Haven (according to it's lovely TV ads and brochure) seems the ideal solution. I was thinking of Craig Tara or Presthaven Sands orHafan y Mor.

The problem is when you check out review sites half of the reviews are 5 star "this is the best holiday we have been on" and the other half are 1 star "this is a dump die before you come here" type of thing, there never seems to be any 3 star "well it was fine for a budget holiday" sort of thing.

So, I am seeking MN advice, AIBU to want to go, and if I am then tell me what the alternative is.

saker06 Sat 26-Oct-13 17:58:18

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

CaptChaos Thu 31-Jan-13 13:40:01

We've had holidays at Haven Caister and Lakeland. We really enjoyed them, but we are the kind of family that uses the caravan park as a base and goes exploring so I couldn't comment about the pools or entertainment.

The caravans have always been clean and well equipped though, and the staff have always been very helpful (which, given that we had a disabled boy with us was a real boon!)

myBOYSareBONKERS Thu 31-Jan-13 12:31:23

LocketJuice - read my review - I posted a link further up

stressedHEmum Thu 31-Jan-13 12:03:47

Craig tara is quite local to me. It's truly awful. The caravans are fine but the place is constantly full of large groups of local teens drinking, taking drugs, swearing and generally causing mayhem. It's basically stowed full of neds.

There is a very great deal to do in Ayrshire, though, if all you are looking for is somewhere to sleep and aren't planning on spending a lot of time on site.

Locketjuice Thu 31-Jan-13 11:59:58

I'm going to Devon site in may... Please don't be a dumpconfused

Madmum24 Thu 31-Jan-13 11:54:55

thanks undertheduvet will check that out.

Pleeeeeease someone explain the centreparcs/anal theory

The private caravans are generally the same standard as the Haven prestige caravans which can be up to £1000 a week in high season, we paid £650 a week in August 2009

We've stayed at Haven Kiln Park in Tenby which is really nice, nice park and fantastic town and beach. However we booked a privately owned caravan which was in a much better position on the park than the Haven ones and cheaper too! Have a quick google to see it there are any private caravans on the sites you are interested in.
You can still use all the facilities on site we paid £5 each for a pass to use the pools and clubs

Madmum24 Thu 31-Jan-13 10:14:39

Heavens Above, pine cladding?!!!!!

LaQueen Thu 31-Jan-13 09:50:01

Mad O I have, I have...my review was so angrily poetic, I was quite proud of it.

And yet...in their defence there were people there who absolutely loved it, and waxed lyrical in their reviews - and just thought the outdoor hot-tub was the very last word in luxury.

In actual fact, the outdoor hot-tub was one of the bargin B&Q ones, with the cheap pine cladding etc.

Madmum24 Thu 31-Jan-13 09:32:43

After doing some digging on Centre Parcs I now want to know why is it synonomous with anal? Surely that is a lot of money for bumming around (pun intended!) ? Would Craig Tara or Hafan y mor not be more suitable venues and much cheaper?

Madmum24 Thu 31-Jan-13 09:29:22

Go LaQueen, don't get mad, get even!

LaQueen Thu 31-Jan-13 09:24:22

Madmum yep, you need to be sure that everyone is singing from the same hymn-sheet, when it comes to standards.

The manager of the 'stylish, boutique lodges' (tries to supress smirk) where we stayed in Norfolk - seemed to think that because our lodge had shared access to an outdoor hot-tub that should somehow compensate for the fact that our en-suite was visibly grubby.

Er, actually no it really fucking doesn't angry

I've torn them to shreds on Trip Advisor smile

cuteboots Wed 30-Jan-13 17:02:22

we did the burnham on sea one and its was ok . The weather was bloody awful though and there was only one decent day where we hit the beach. My Little boy loved it and Im thinking of going again this year.

IfNotNowThenWhen Wed 30-Jan-13 17:01:33

I wouldn't, but then I don't believe in "activities".
grin
I am hoping to get us to a static caravan near yorkshire coast, but it's just on a farm with only 6 or 7 other static caravans, so very queit.
If (if! ha!) it rains it will be waterproof trousers, rockpooling and fish and chips once the dc's are cold enough. Bye 'eck.
Never did me any harm.

Fluffy1234 Wed 30-Jan-13 16:52:13

I went on a few when my children were younger for either a mini break or second holiday. I tried different caravans and lodges and but it seemed to be a bit if pot luck to how nice theta were. hafan y mor was definitely the worst haven I went to and Devon cliffs my fave. I think the weather had a lot to do with it though. When we went we mainly used the caravan site as a base to do lots of days out and then had a swim or go in the arcades when we got back. I always ending spending quite a lot of money. Partly because of days out and also eating out and the whole family enjoys the arcades (and they are everywhere).

Ashoething Wed 30-Jan-13 16:50:58

Sorry to hijack thread but has anyone been to the hoeseasons in southport? we have been to the same caravan park in blackpool for the past 4 years and while the kids love it I think its time for a change!

zlist Wed 30-Jan-13 16:45:34

I've only been to one for the weekend but DS absolutely loved it and, as a result, I would say it was the most successful holiday/short break we have had.
My only advice would be to take a mattress topper/your own bedding if you can (my personal preference would be a W hotel not Haven - I like a nice bed!).

myBOYSareBONKERS Wed 30-Jan-13 16:40:24

I have been to the Primrose Valley and Devon cliffs Haven sites. We have booked to go again the the Devon Cliffs one.

We have had good holidays at them both. I have found a website for private hire which works out cheaper and the caravans tend to be of a higher spec as well.

This is the Devon Cliffs one: js-devondelights.co.uk/

and my review from last year: www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g551673-d659413-r127506545-Devon_Cliffs_Holiday_Park-Exmouth_Devon_England.html

zukiecat Wed 30-Jan-13 16:25:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

newbielisa Wed 30-Jan-13 16:14:17

Went to Hafan y mor last September, can't remember what it was called but something like a premium or platinum caravan. Think it was very different to the basic one. It was Immaculate, loads of space, 2 loos. We went with our then 2.3 DD who loved it and is desperate to go back and see Bradley and Polly (kids club characters). Pool was great, kids entertainment was great we did messy play, character breakfast, a character birthday party and the option to do lots more. We didn't go to any of the evening entertainment, I was 7 months pregnant and having a bad week so can't comment on that.

We're definitely going back this year.

It's not 5 star but it depends what you're looking for, we want non stop activity for our toddler as keeping her entertained and watching her experience fun times is our priority at the moment.... Sick bucket over here.

mrsjay Wed 30-Jan-13 16:09:30

I want to ask what age are kids allowed to swim in the pool on their own at in Haven parks (with parents sleeping supervising from the poolside?)
Add message | Report | Message poster mrsjay Wed 30-Jan-13 16:04:52

It is 8 I think well it used to be

mrsjay Wed 30-Jan-13 16:09:02

BLUE DOLPHIN grin

mrsjay Wed 30-Jan-13 16:08:51

we have been to primrose valley and the other 1 along the road cant mind what it is called Primrose valley is huge and we had a great time the other 1 was a bit run down last we we went we took our own caravan but my friend went last year and said it was lovely ,

mrsjay Wed 30-Jan-13 16:04:52

Yes, the dried pooh/vomit/urine on the mattresses seems to be quite a common observation according to the reviews. Many also complained of the arcades thing and loutish behaviour from other guests.

we hired our van through haven and there was poo and 'something' on the mattress and they had put shaved after shave on it to disguise the smell <heave> who poops bed on holiday who does that shock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now