To think that Frankie Boyle is a despicable human being?

(190 Posts)
MiniEggsinJanuary Tue 29-Jan-13 23:06:10

Just flicked on to an old episode of Mock the Week to find Frankie Boyle. I had forgotten about him and why he was so controversial so I googled and read the Wikipedia section on controversy about him. I knew he was a racist bigot but didn't realise he also made fun of disabled children. Please tell me I am not being unreasonable to think that he doesn't deserve the fees he must get when his programmes are repeated on Dave?

WMDinthekitchen Tue 29-Jan-13 23:35:16

Frankie doesn't have a witty or amusing cell in his body. He is like the child who can't manage to attract positive attention so he goes for the negative. In doing so he is highly offensive. A little man in all senses of the word. I expect he is a real bore in RL.

MrsWolowitzerables Tue 29-Jan-13 23:36:50

To the people who say he's harmless are you aware that he made jokes about the reduced lifespan of children with Down's syndrome?

Hi-fucking-larious no?

Disgusting man.

ThedementedPenguin Tue 29-Jan-13 23:37:23

Yabvu, that's my opinion I find him extremely funny.

Yes he does go too far sometimes, and I was quite shocked at some things he said but I do find him funny.

Also yes he successfully sued a newspaper for calling him racist.

I agree with others you don't have to watch his shows!

MiniEggsinJanuary Tue 29-Jan-13 23:37:25

Very good point Samantha. As I have now conveyed twice, I wasn't watching him voluntarily, he happened to be on a programme I happened to flick on to. I did switch him off.
I have very serious concerns about the moral standards of people who think he's funny. I guess they'll just have to wait until he says something which insults a group which affects them directly. Some people clearly don't have enough imagination to work out what is unacceptable unless it directly targets them.
As for wanting him to be banned from mainstream TV - I wouldn't campaign for it but I wouldn't be adverse to it.

MiniEggsinJanuary Tue 29-Jan-13 23:40:20

I'll also point out that successfully sueing a newspaper who accused him of being racist, doesn't make him not racist!!! It simply means that a very clever lawyer was able to argue his case and find loopholes in the law which meant that he could get a relatively small (in litigious terms) amount of money from a media giant. Doesn't prove a thing.

Harriet35 Tue 29-Jan-13 23:40:49

And what if someone you liked was banned from mainstream TV? I hate smug PC comedians like Jack Whitehall and Marcus Brigstocke but I wouldn't want them banned from telly because other people like them. Censorship is never good.

FreudiansSlipper Tue 29-Jan-13 23:41:31

Concerned about my moral standards now that is funny grin

ThedementedPenguin Tue 29-Jan-13 23:44:57

I do agree that he goes to far at times, but seriously everyone knows what he does. It's a joke (in a twisted way) I don't believe he means it.

He takes the piss out of EVERYONE! Not just a certain group of people. Have you ever watched any if his DVDs the people in the audience are abused by him.

I get that the op didn't put his show on, but if you don't like him and come across him just switch it over.

Fanjounchained Tue 29-Jan-13 23:47:54

As much as I dislike the guy I do think he is very articulate and intelligent...but there is no overlooking the fact that some of the stuff he says is simply sick. He has a kids, as someone mentioned above, I very much doubt he would be cracking jokes about disabilities if his own children were affected. He's a dick...sometimes funny, but still a dick.

MariusEarlobe Tue 29-Jan-13 23:48:34

He says what he says to shock and create outrage and attention which is what he gets.

I can't stand him so I refuse to give him any attention.

KobayashiMaru Tue 29-Jan-13 23:51:04

have you any sort of proof that he is a "racist bigot"? Thats a pretty big to say about someone, so presumably you can show us why this is true?

BumBiscuits Tue 29-Jan-13 23:52:49

Oh of course, minieggs, I forgot the Mirror don't have access to very clever lawyers.

blindworm Tue 29-Jan-13 23:52:54

He just sued a newspaper who called him racist and won, and gave the £50,000 damages to charity.

Harriet35 Tue 29-Jan-13 23:54:27

Would you rather he just made jokes about "nasty Tories" and other safe topics to get an easy cheer from a BBC audience nowadays? Comedians are supposed to be challenging.

apostropheuse Tue 29-Jan-13 23:55:34

He's a disgusting, cruel bastard.

I can't stand the vile little man.

Harriet35 Tue 29-Jan-13 23:57:12

He isn't little is he? I always thought he was quite a big bloke.

apostropheuse Wed 30-Jan-13 00:01:02

He as a man, as a whole person, is little, his physical height isn't.

Harriet35 Wed 30-Jan-13 00:02:36

Stick to your safe comedians and leave Frankie to people who aren't so easily offended.

DontEvenThinkAboutIt Wed 30-Jan-13 00:05:47

He is a really clever bloke which makes his nasty disgusting 'jokes' even more reprehensible.

Yes, he makes jokes about everyone, coz its bloody hilarious making 'jokes' involving sex (ffs) about disabled children who can't defend themselves. That is hilarious. angry

He is a very sinister man.

blindworm Wed 30-Jan-13 00:06:12

I don't like jokes about Down's or Harvey Price but I prefer him to Jack Whitehall.

Fanjounchained Wed 30-Jan-13 00:07:37

Harriet35 - what the fuck is challenging about a comedian who choses to poke fun at the vunerable people in society. Did you piss yourself laughing at bullies at school too ?

I'm not into safe comedians either...just not into pricks like Frankie Boyle..

I don't agree with censorship but he is a total cunt and I'd have a hard time liking anyone who found him funny. In the future I think disablist jokes will be looked upon in the same way that racist jokes from the 1970s are now.

MiniEggsinJanuary Wed 30-Jan-13 00:10:18

Ok, so he won his case so clearly he is not a racist bigot. This is what the opposition argued:

"Ronald Thwaites QC, for MGN, argued that Mr Boyle was a "racist comedian" and said the newspaper would claim that its use of the word "racist" was a fair opinion.

He said Mr Boyle used negative stereotyping of black people "usually in a sexual context".

"What he has done is to take the negative stereotype of black people and exploit that for cheap laughs gratuitously," Mr Thwaites told jurors.

"This is not part of some intellectual cause. This is not part of some clever message." "

His defence was that he was "vile" but not racist. He won, ergo he is not racist and therefore certainly not a racist bigot.

He still said all of the other things about disabled children however. I find that to be enough to find him despicable.

apostropheuse Wed 30-Jan-13 00:11:36

People who aren't offended by Frankie Boyle's material ought to be.

No human being should feel that the things that comes out of that man's mouth are in any way shape or form acceptable.

It's actually not cool or clever.

apostropheuse Wed 30-Jan-13 00:13:22

Oh and I am certainly not easily offended

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now