Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think it was awful to leave this girl out of whole class party just because shes new?

(92 Posts)
stormforce10 Tue 29-Jan-13 21:11:16

DD came home with a party invitation tonight. She rushed over with it and ad I knew she'd be able to go I told party girls mum that dd would love to come. She said that was great and they'd invited whole class except for girl who was new this term as they didn't really know anything about her or her family.

AIBU to have responded "sorry I think you should have asked her its hard enough being new as it is without being left out of something like this" Party girls mum just said well luckily its nothing to do with you and walked off. Fair enough nothing to do with me but couldn't leave it unsaid

AIBU?

pigletmania Wed 30-Jan-13 13:10:34

You did a wonderful thing feel very proud for speaking up for that child. Wat a nasty woman for thinking its ok to leave one child out, what if the tables were turned and it was her child

kilmuir Wed 30-Jan-13 13:12:12

bloody horrid parents.
Why not invite her round to yours

Herrena Wed 30-Jan-13 13:44:48

When is this party meant to be op?

I'm asking because NastyMum's response was quite telling; she assumed you would turn everyone against her, so presumably that's what she would do in your situation. I'd be wary of her trying to depict you as some holier-than-thou cow. At least you should bear her possible attitude in mind if anyone comes up to you and starts discussing the party whilst squinting at you curiously. If it's sometime in the future then she has more chance to gossip....

If anyone does speak to you about it in an 'angling for gossip' sort of way, I would avoid the topic of the new child unless they bring it up first. If they do, then your stock response should be something like 'Yes, I'm really happy X is coming too, it will be a good chance for him/her to make friends' and leave it at that. It's a nice short positive reponse that people can't really argue with!

If they mention your disagreement with NastyMum, maybe just shrug and say something noncommital like 'never mind' or 'it'll all be fine I'm sure'. Nice short non-detailed answers so you can't be accused of saying anything bitchy (I'm sure you wouldn't anyway).

I think you did the right thing in standing up to her in the first place and I am impressed by your backbone smile

Meikyo Wed 30-Jan-13 13:44:50

YANBU - and well done for saying what you did.

My DD (age 10) started at a new school in January. She got a party invitation the first week and has also been invited to play and to tea by different girls in her new class. She is in her 4th week at new school and seems v happy. I'm so grateful that her new classmates' parents are not like the horror in your post!

HecateWhoopass Wed 30-Jan-13 14:19:19

What on earth made her think that a) you would turn everyone against her and b) you had the power to do that even if you wanted to? [boggle]

More likely that she had a strop and a sulk then realised you were right and her behaviour is stupid. And is cross with you for pointing it out grin

Unless of course you went round the rest of the mums whispering "X is a poo poo pants, if you're friends with her, you can't be friends with me..."

CrapBag Wed 30-Jan-13 14:23:43

YANBU. How horrible!!

I thought it was bad enough the other day when a mum stood in the playground giving out invites in a very obvious was, about 2 thirds of the class were invited including everyone in the group I was stood with. No invite for DS though. Luckily he was playing and didn't notice but I thought she could have been bloody discrete about it though.

Thats why I am glad we have gone for DS inviting 5 friends to do an activity this year rather than the party thing. I think I will do this from now on.

IslaValargeone Wed 30-Jan-13 14:37:12

She sounds very strange indeed, especially after the follow up comment. Having said that, although your sentiment of thinking the new girl should also be included was great, I think your initial comment was rude and should have been phrased far more diplomatically.

stormforce10 Wed 30-Jan-13 14:39:50

Damn you Hecate how did you find out what I whispered in other mum's ears? Are you a mum at DDs school too?

For variety I whispered to some of them "x is a smelly meany don't share your sweeties with her"

SissySpacekAteMyHamster Wed 30-Jan-13 14:42:03

The party would be a perfect opportunity for the new girl to get to know everyone.

You wonder what chance her daughter has growing up with the lack of empathy her mother seems to have don't you!

Well done you for sticking up for her and saying your piece.

DoctorAnge Wed 30-Jan-13 14:59:16

Well done for you! Your actions will have made that little girls day.

HecateWhoopass Wed 30-Jan-13 16:16:22

I See All wink

stormforce10 Wed 30-Jan-13 17:13:19

Saw new girls mum at school pick up and asked her about the weekend. She's coming. Her dd grabbed dd's hands and danced round the playground with her when her mum told her - she also seemed very excited about her party invite.

lovely little girl and liking her mum more the more I see of her smile

Hulababy Wed 30-Jan-13 17:17:03

Aw lovely for your DD and the new little girl.

If party mum thinks you'll turn everyone against her then she must have realised you were right at least. Otherwise she'd have feel sure everyone would agree with her and not caved.

fluffygal Wed 30-Jan-13 18:05:23

I wish you were at my DD's school :-(

IsabelleRinging Wed 30-Jan-13 18:13:33

YANBU!

I would cancel going to the party and invite the new girl round to play with your dd on that day.

Herrena Wed 30-Jan-13 19:17:45

Good point Hulababy....

SixFeetUnder Wed 30-Jan-13 20:39:22

My son handed out his invites for his 6th birthday party this saturday on his first day back at school after the Xmas holidays. This was also a little girls first day at the school but she also received an invite as I had asked the teacher for a class list including any new starts. His whole class is going, no way would we miss anyone out.

My son came home that day and told me how he'd played with the new girl and was glad she was coming to his party. Her mum was grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now