To start smoking again

(36 Posts)
Ponderingonaquandry Tue 29-Jan-13 21:06:53

My one pleasure in life pre kids was a cigarette at the end of the day. I stopped smoking when I fell pregnant and haven't smoked since.

I don't drink, I don't go out, I'm stressed up to the hilt and I bloody well feel like I want to say up yours to the world right now.

Aibu to start smoking again?

Yabu.

Drink a glass of wine instead.

YouOldSlag Wed 30-Jan-13 10:02:50

OP, I know exactly how you feel and I have been in the same boat. Pre DH and DCs, a fag was very much my thing. I was seriously addicted. However, I dropped them like a stone when I got pregnant and stayed off them for 5 years. Didn't even miss them, and felt great.

Fastforward five years and I was thinking "Who did I used to be?" and ended up thinking a cheeky fag now and then wouldn't hurt and it kind of reminded me that I used to me and not just Mum.

18 months later I had to stop doing it as I went up to 6 or 7 every day and the guilt and the smell and the restlessness between fags made me so miserable. Three days ago I finished the Allen Carr book and had my last fag. I feel amazing and starting again was a really daft thing to do.

Please don't do it, it will get out of hand and you will feel miserable and hate yourself. But Do definitely treat yourself more in other ways. A little bottle of perfume, a meal out, a swim- whatever you like as long its not fags.

Find a new way to be the old you.

Shodan Wed 30-Jan-13 10:05:34

I know how you're feeling.

I quit 3 weeks ago and have had insomnia ever since. I'm ok in the daytime but at night I crave a fag very badly.

Wine doesn't help- it makes me feel sick (I discovered last night). Only the thought of having to go through all this again is stopping me running to the shop.

Sigh. It will be worth it in the end, so they say.

YouOldSlag Wed 30-Jan-13 10:07:57

Shodan- have you read the Allen Carr book? He says the willpower method is really hard. It's worth a read. I was a committed smoker and he opened my eyes and made it easier.

YouOldSlag Wed 30-Jan-13 10:10:15

He also tells you to be thrilled you are "free" rather than miserable that you have "given up".

I can't say I'm thrilled to be free, but it's certainly a great feeling and he has un-brainwashed me away from thinking smoking was nice. I smell amazing too! (little brag) so nice to smell good again.

PickledInAPearTree Wed 30-Jan-13 10:18:44

Allen Carr is good, I gave up with him.

The first time! Just the one, never is.

ChocolateCoins Wed 30-Jan-13 10:20:07

Please don't do it op. You've done so well not to smoke all this time! Is there nothing else you could have for yourself? If that makes sense?

Fakebook Wed 30-Jan-13 10:22:27

It's your life and your body. If you do start again, try not to light one up at a bus stop, children's play area, or narrow roads with loads of pedestrians.

Yfronts Wed 30-Jan-13 11:15:47

find a nicer habit? You are an example to your children.

KellyElly Wed 30-Jan-13 11:18:53

No, no, no. Don't do it. You will regret it so much. I have tried and failed to give up on numerous occasions - stress always being the excuse to slip back into the habit. Stay strong!

YouOldSlag Wed 30-Jan-13 11:27:02

Try reading Allen Carr even if you don't take it up back up again. He really
de-constructs it until you realise how boring and pointless it is.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now