Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

AIBU to not want to pick up my SIL's kids every Tuesday

(56 Posts)
Ghanagirl Tue 29-Jan-13 14:10:56

Y five year old twins go to the same school as my husbands 2 older nieces. In October my sis in law asked me to pick up kids and take them to after school classes, I was happy to do it as a once off but she now expects me to do it every week as she works and I don't at present. I just feel she's taking advantage as she asked me to babysit on Saturday as she had to go to a distant relatives funeral
and got really cross when I said I couldn't, she then said my DH should also be going and that I was stoping him from taking part in cultural traditions! My DH said to ignore her but he doesn't really stand up to her, sorry about the rambling but would like to know what others would do in my situation

Rosa Wed 30-Jan-13 07:56:07

I would do it to be honest ..I help out my SIL when I can and she helps me when she can. I go weekly to her house and help her daughter with English ..I don't want to be paid I am happy to help. she could pay for an English teacher but I feel that families should help out if and when they can. If there is a week you can't do it fine...if there is a weekend you want her to help out ask her. i think I am in the minority here however.

Ragwort Wed 30-Jan-13 08:06:32

Regardless of your relationship with your SIL, do you like your nieces? (I wonder why you call them 'my DH's nieces'? hmm) - do your children like playing with their cousins? I can appreciate this arrangement might be a pita but can you look at it from (all) the childrens' point of view rather than the fact that your SIL should be paying for childcare?

Ghanagirl Wed 30-Jan-13 12:03:36

Ragwort
I can take nieces in small doses, as they are seven and nine they are good at winding up my little boy and trying to get his twin sister to do the same, I agree that helping out is a nice thing to do but with four children the arguing is constant and the kids constantly brag about their bigger house to my two, I'm happy with the choice I've made to look after my kids as DH nieces eat poor diet and are not unruly due to mothers lack of involvement, and that's not a dig at working mums as she works only 2 or 3 days a week and still expects others to pick them up when she's at home, to be honest I feel she doesn't enjoy spending time with them and although I feel sorry for kids they are not my kids she has two sisters and they don't help her out

Ghanagirl Wed 30-Jan-13 12:05:42

Meant to say they are unruly

drjohnsonscat Wed 30-Jan-13 13:03:45

So don't do it. The end.

Ghanagirl Wed 30-Jan-13 14:22:17

Okay, all replies taken on board sorry if sounded defensive but there is a long history of being put upon and no reciprocation. Anyway I've booked piano lessons for twins starting on the 12th I had wanted Mondays but teacher couldn't do so happy coincidence. Will let SIL know later this weeksmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now