To tell my flatmate that if she has a bath AND shower on the same day she can pay more of the water bill?

(34 Posts)
Blondie1984 Mon 28-Jan-13 18:55:33

she is starting to do this quite regularly....
I have a bath in the evening - something I started doing because there isnt enough hot water for us both to have a shower in the morning - but now sometimes I go for a bath at night and there isn't enough hot water because she has had one in addition to her morning shower.....

HoneyDragon Mon 28-Jan-13 18:56:55

Get the hot water situation sorted?

QueenStromba Mon 28-Jan-13 18:57:42

Does she realise that you've been having a bath in the evening because she uses all of the hot water in the morning so you can't have a shower then?

StickEmUp Mon 28-Jan-13 18:58:43

No- your missing out. Tell her to use less.
She might not know. I have hot water whenver i need it, i might forget other people have less and use ot, if i didnt know.

I think ours heats up as you use it ...

UnrequitedSkink Mon 28-Jan-13 18:59:27

No, because shell talk about you at dinner parties in years to come, as the flatmate who was so tight she was only allowed to shower once a day.

What I would do is ask her, if she wants to bathe in the evening, if she could wait until you've had yours, as that way at least you'd get to have a hot bath, while still allowing her to have a hot shower in the morning. And be super sweet while asking so she can't refuse, kindness kills and all that. wink

bringnbuy Mon 28-Jan-13 18:59:38

maybe she stinks smile/sweaty lady? i would sit down and have a (friendly) chat with her, let her know how you feel (ie she can't keep using up the hot water in the morning and evening). tricky really, i had many flatmates when i was younger. one moved her boyfriend in (despite me telling her before she moved in that she couldn't). he used to be there in the day when we were both at work. she never offered any money towards his share of the water/electrics and i never asked (idiot that i was/still am). she never used to wash up after her fancy weekly cooking episodes either but that is another story....

Softlysoftly Mon 28-Jan-13 18:59:48

I think you should have more hot water available!

ENormaSnob Mon 28-Jan-13 19:00:56

Could you not get more hot water? confused

NatashaBee Mon 28-Jan-13 19:01:17

I think the big issue here is your hot water supply. Unless she's spending hours in there then you should both be able to have a shower in the morning. What kind of water heating system do you have?

cantspel Mon 28-Jan-13 19:01:22

Is it just a matter of her using all the hot water or are you also on a water meter?

FlouncingMintyy Mon 28-Jan-13 19:02:26

Well, don't open the conversation like that! Say "dear flatmate, did you know that if you have a bath in the evening there isn't enough hot water left for me? We're going to have to sort a system so that both of us can have one bath or shower every day, aren't we?"

TarkaTheOtter Mon 28-Jan-13 19:06:14

Not unless you want to break everything else down by usage (gas, elec etc). It tends to all even out in the end.

PenguinBear Mon 28-Jan-13 19:19:24

YANBU. Get up before her for a few days and shower before she does... Then when she comes complaining, you can say thats why happens to you when she showers and baths!

quoteunquote Mon 28-Jan-13 19:24:14

Sort out a better water heating system, the one you have is not working for you.

dreamingofsun Mon 28-Jan-13 19:25:34

my son does this...stands in the shower for ages in the morning and uses all the water. i've got a system now that means if i shower 30 mins after him its heated up - but i'm working from home so can do this and guessing you prob can't as you don't have time.

we have a modern water system designed for a large house - so don't think this is nec the issue.

i think its worth asking nicely. if that doesn't work i'd be tempted to get up earlier than her and shower.

maybe she thinks you are being greedy and using lots of water having a bath rather than a shower.

ihearsounds Mon 28-Jan-13 19:28:54

Sort out the hot water system. It's usual for at least 3 of us to have showers in the morning. Never mind all of us in the bath/shower on a night. If anyone in my household told me I could only have one a day, I would tell them to jog on. I need a shower in the morning to wake up, never mind if I've got lucky the night before. I also need to have a shower on a night, to get rid of all the grime from outside, never mind from working.

She might have two a day, but how often do you use the cooker, kettle, iron, electrical appliances, bb etc compares to her? If you want to start charging per use, you could be in for a nasty shock

dreamingofsun Mon 28-Jan-13 19:31:05

is she stands in the shower for 25 mins in the morning though its probably nothing to do with problems with your water system - she's just used all the hot water in your tank.

AmberLeaf Mon 28-Jan-13 19:31:33

Sort out your hot water situation!

Matildaduck Mon 28-Jan-13 19:32:15

Get up first every day for a week.

She will soon realise.

notallytuts Mon 28-Jan-13 19:33:13

i had this situation once in a shared flat. my flatmates complained because my boyfriend showered when he came over. our water companies website said that the average shower costs about 12 pence. over the course of a month thats about £3.60. If you really begrudge her the extra £1.80, then ask her to pay extra, but in my experience its not worth causing conflict over, its a petty amount of money unless you are really really skint.

Asking her to be a bit more considerate, or having the boiler on longer so theres more hot water, wouldnt be unreasonable...

I agree with the other posters - it's not about the money, it's about you not getting to bathe or shower because of her selfishness! (or her ignorance of the matter, if you want to be charitable). Either way you need to have a chat I think.

Pandemoniaa Mon 28-Jan-13 19:47:40

If you can't sort out your hot water supply - two people each having a bath and shower every day is not an impossible expectation - then you need to work out a fair system that allows both of you to bath and shower as often as you want.

YWBVVU to start dictating the washing habits of your flatmate, let alone try to charge her more for water. If you get into pernickety and unfair divisions of things then you'll give yourself ludicrous grief.

HollaAtMeBaby Mon 28-Jan-13 19:51:11

I think that would be unreasonable.

Could you (both) fill the kettle for baths and just use HW for showers?

Inertia Mon 28-Jan-13 20:02:07

It's not the cost, it's the inconvenience of not being able to shower. I agree with previous posters- you either need a more reliable hot water system, or ask her to let you bath first at night as there isn't enough hot water for both of you.

Or get up earlier in the morning and beat her to the shower

Blondie1984 Mon 28-Jan-13 22:24:33

I might try having a nice long hot shower in the mornings if she carries on - see if that gets the message across

Thanks very much!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now