in thinking this is fraud and not right?

(72 Posts)
sweetkitty Mon 28-Jan-13 15:00:14

Yesterday I was talking to some family members first about the cost of nursery care and X (let's call her) was moaning how last week she had to pay £137 to the nursery. I was agreeing saying it is costly I know people who pay £1000 a month. She is lucky in that her MIL does half her childcare as well and she sends her DS to nursery when she's not at work to get a break.

Anyway Y (her partner) then says that he's lost his job, I'm commiserating with them, hope you find something soon etc he then says he has to go and sign on today. I said "how can you, you live with X she's working FT" turns out he has never legally moved out his mothers house! He moved into a flat with X 9 years ago and they bought another house 7 years ago (I thought together) but its all in her name. He's had periods of unemployment in that time and has claimed everytime saying he still lives at home.

I said you can't do that that's fraud but then they said but he's paid his taxes he's entitled. Turns out he claimed for ONE week in between jobs not that long ago, he finished one job knew he was starting another and still claimed.

Y said she would lovd him to be a SAHD but they can't afford it, he likes to go to the pub, buy clothes etc and she can't afford to give him money for that. I don't get the destitute thing as they then said they bought a new sofa and stuff for the house with his redundancy (bear in mind he claimed for that one week).

It just strikes me that they feel so entitled and are actually greedy. They aren't skint they have the usual Sky, iPhones, new car etc

DoJo Mon 28-Jan-13 15:49:38

Report them and let the benefits office investigate them - if they aren't doing anything wrong, then there's no need to lie about where he lives, and if they are then they are stealing money from every tax payer and legitimate benefits claimant in the country.

catladycourtney1 Mon 28-Jan-13 15:50:20

I only work 23 hours a week and my dp had to move out when he lost his job because they said I earned to much for him to be able to claim. I could just about pay the rent and council tax etc, but couldn't afford to support us both, even just with regards to food, gas and electric, on just my wage. However I know people who have claimed when they live with a partner who works, so I'm not entirely sure how it's all worked out.
I would be suspicious, since if he's entitled to benefits then why would he need to give a false address? But I don't really know what I think about reporting it. It's not hurting you personally, and there are no prizes for grassing people up, it's not worth it if they're friends. They'll know it was you if they've just told you all this and suddenly they get a knock on the door.

usualsuspect Mon 28-Jan-13 15:51:07

Yes, just report everyone, just in case.

usualsuspect Mon 28-Jan-13 15:52:06

My DP was made redundant and claimed JSA, while I worked full time. They never even asked him how much I earnt.

DeepRedBetty Mon 28-Jan-13 15:52:48

If they're really acting and talking the way you describe...here's the telephone number

As others have said, you can claim contribution based JSA even if your partner works full time. I did when I was made redundant on ML, it was hard when it stopped as I still haven't found a job.
I kept it very quiet, it was nobody else's business but mine and DH.

usualsuspect Mon 28-Jan-13 15:56:34

Good job you did keep in quiet, judging by this thread the Fraud line would have been ringing off the hook.

sweetkitty Mon 28-Jan-13 16:14:54

I did say just watch out you don't get put on workfare grin

No I think it's disgusting what's happening in this country right now with regards the benefit system with this universal credit and this card thing that only allows you to buy from certain shops etc plus the workfare thing, know a few people really in the shit with it. Agree there has to be a lamp down on benefit cheats but not at the expense of legitimate claimants. Everyone is going to be terrified of losing their job.

nickelbabe Mon 28-Jan-13 16:18:38

the thing is, if they've told you they're cheating the system, then you can't possibly give them the benefit of the doubt! they've admitted it!
they know they're committing fraud and by telling you, they're laying themselves wide open for reporting.

Hammy02 Mon 28-Jan-13 16:31:12

YANBU. When I was out of work, DP (that I lived with) earner £50k and I had savings but was still eligible to claim..so I did.

PrincessFiorimonde Mon 28-Jan-13 16:31:57

Perhaps they were trying to wind you up, OP.

ResolutelyCheeky Mon 28-Jan-13 16:42:02

Of course it's fraud (if they are not winding you up). For a start off if she is classed as living alone she will be getting a reduction on her council tax won't she?

sweetkitty Mon 28-Jan-13 17:30:12

Def not winding me up, they've claimed before and Y has said he goes to his mothers to vote as he's still at that address. This is a close relative btw.

It's taking the p a bit if you've not lived there for 9 years.

StinkyWicket Mon 28-Jan-13 17:41:52

I work full time.

DH claims contribution-based JSA and will be allowed to for 6 months.

That is not fraudulent. We didn't withold any of this information when he claimed.

However, if they are claiming other benefits like tax credits and housing benefit, council tax benefit as single people then that is fraudulent.

CloudsAndTrees Mon 28-Jan-13 17:43:49

I wouldn't think anything of the JSA, but if she is claiming single person discount on her council tax, then that should definitely be reported. Councils are struggling to provide essential services at the moment, and anyone who isn't paying their fair share is immoral.

ENormaSnob Mon 28-Jan-13 18:00:28

The jsa claim is probably legit.

It's everything else she's claiming that isn't.

PleasePudding Mon 28-Jan-13 21:22:36

It sort of is people's business though isn't it if someone is committing fraud?

They may not be in this case but they said they were and so OP was entitled to think that's the case. If they are committing fraud then that is a crime and people committing crimes are society's business aren't they?

Selvedge Mon 28-Jan-13 21:38:33

If he has filled out the form for JSA using his mothers address, that is FRAUD. He does not live there, it is a false statement. Simple.

RTB!

catladycourtney1 Mon 28-Jan-13 21:42:13

I agree that it is everyone's business due to rising taxes etc, but if its close family or friends then I don't think it's worth it. They obviously like and trust the OP to have told her what they're doing, is that a relationship that's worth throwing away over what is potentially nothing? They'll be caught out eventually. If it was someone's nobhead neighbour or something then fair enough, but they have told OP what they told her in confidence. And it's not like they've told her that they're serial killers or child molesters or something.

thekidsrule Mon 28-Jan-13 22:12:37

yeah probably is fraud

he claims from his mums adress

girlfriend thus claims as lone parent

thus maybe entitled to

tc/hb/ct/perscriptions,childcare etc etc,even if she is working (low paid/part time)

im guessing but that's what my take on this is

sweetkitty Mon 28-Jan-13 23:25:44

I don't think they would be claiming anything else, his partner Y, works in a good job, apart from council tax discount and maybe child tax credit (she's probably under the threshold for that), she was moaning the reason they had to claim was they couldn't live on her wage alone, I couldn't guess what that is and don't want to really but I'm thinking it would be about national average so she's not on min wage.

He was in a well paid job for a few years but it was temp so he was always going to lose it at some point.

There's people on here and in RL brining up 2 or more DC on a lot less.

Of course it was being implied that it's ok for me as we can afford for me to be a SAHM, yes we can and I know I am lucky but we budget like mad and scrimp and save do I can be. I hate that hen people turn round and say it's ok for me I don't have to pay childcare and thy wish they could afford to be SAHMs, then in the next sentence tell me about their new car, trip to Disneyworld or new kitchen. No what you mean is you don't want to reduce your lifestyle, we all have choices and we all make them. I have nothing against WOHM parents at all.

frustratedashell Tue 29-Jan-13 07:12:37

I think I would be very tempted to report them. If hes telling the dss that he lives at his mums then he is lying. Why should we pay for people like this? Esp if they can afford the new car etc. It makes me very angry!

chrome100 Tue 29-Jan-13 07:17:31

Well technically I have never legally moved out of my parents. All my official docs are at their address. This is because I move a lot and it would be a hassle for me to keep changing it. I pay rent, bills and income tax. I am not a fraud.

houseelfdobby Tue 29-Jan-13 07:21:24

I don't understand how people can say that whether or not people are cheating on benefits is not their business. If your next door neighbour was stealing from the local bank, would you take the same view? confused. Anyone fiddling benefits is stealing from the whole community - those paying tax, others on benefits legitimately, the NHS, schools....

Report. If they are above board then absolutely no harm will come of it. If they are cheating, then they will be made to stop. Once you have reported then you will be able to remain genuinely good friends with X as you will not need to worry about this issue, knowing that from now on it will be fine.

BTW I think someone upthread is right - JSA can be contributions based but other benefits are mainly means tested.

nickelbabe Tue 29-Jan-13 13:42:47

chrome - the difference is that you provide your current address for all your everyday purposes.

your Passport doesn't need a change of address.
your driving licence only needs an official address in case they need to contact you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now