It should be a criminal offence to not finacially support your own child?

(34 Posts)
VinegarTits Mon 28-Jan-13 14:13:57

Mostly men (but not always) in our society are who are serial impregnators, who repeatedly have children then leave and move on to have more without paying for the children they left behind, and in a lot of cases leaving the state to pick up their tab

im sick of single mothers being portrayed as villians for 'breeding' yet the feckless fathers who left without a by or leave, are never mentioned, or made to pay

I dont want another single mum debate, i want a debate on why these men are allowed to get away with it? why are we not doing more to make them face up to their responsibilities?

i think if they were prosecuted for not supporting the children they left behind, they would be less likely to have more children they are likely to leave and not pay for

VinegarTits Mon 28-Jan-13 14:38:14

if a woman gets pg then they both have to face up to that responsibility, otherwise men all over the place would just say 'right have a termination' simples, when its the woman who has to live the mental and physical concequenses of putting her body through that

many times i have heard it said on here that if a woman doesnt want to have a child she shouldnt have sex, well the same goes for a man

DialsMavis Mon 28-Jan-13 14:38:42

Producing a child is a well known consequence of having sex, it doesn't matter if the 'man' doesn't want the baby. He should have been more careful with contraception or in the case of being supposedly tricked, who he had sex with in the first place

Nagoo Mon 28-Jan-13 14:39:22

Cailin you see it all the time though, it's not the poor father's fault, it's the bitch of a mother wouldn't let him see the DC, why should he pay for kids he doesn't see, she's a psycho, etc. etc. There's a million reasons a feckless father can give to a new partner for not having contact/ financial responsibility. If he deigns to mention the DC at all.

HecateWhoopass Mon 28-Jan-13 14:39:50

What about those people who quit their jobs when the CSA catches up with them.

Technically they have no money so are unable to pay, but they did it so they wouldn't HAVE to pay.

What to do about such people, while not punishing those who genuinely can't pay because despite their best efforts, they don't have any money. Or they have disabilities that prevent them from working etc.

Mosman Mon 28-Jan-13 14:41:36

WE have one in our family had two children, effectively washed his hands and now has another two. We aren't getting too attached this time around as you don't know how long we'll be able to see them before he moves on to the next one sad

CailinDana Mon 28-Jan-13 14:45:22

Redsky- essentially that is irrelevant. By having sex you're running the risk of having a baby, that's just a biological fact that most normal adults are aware of. The simple answer is, if a man doesn't want a baby then he shouldn't have sex because once a baby is made the decision isn't his. The only alternative is to allow a situation where a man can force a woman to have an abortion (one I presume no woman wants) or can just walk away and say "Well I didn't want it in the first place."

Nagoo Mon 28-Jan-13 14:47:04

Whack all 11yo's on contraception and then make us all get married before we are allowed to come off it?

*I don't really think this.

I don't think that we are going to find an answer that doesn't punish children for the fecklessness (might be a word) of adults.

NormaStanleyFletcher Mon 28-Jan-13 14:48:12

If you have sex, you face the consequence of a possible PG

The woman faces that, as does the man.

Having to pay for that child is therefore a consequence on having sex

Mosman Mon 28-Jan-13 14:50:20

Or go back to the days where self respecting people didn't just go around randomly shagging strangers.

- not that I want forced adoptions or magdalaine laundries reintroduced. But I wish there could be a bit more mainstream media encouragement of not bonking any tom dick or harry as they seem to have all the influence over teens these days.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now