For someone to put their baby in a car seat at a baby group?

(63 Posts)
Geekster Mon 28-Jan-13 13:03:33

Hi we recently moved house and I took my DD to a new baby group today. It was like being back at school, people were told to stop talking it was very regimented and this poor lady with a very young baby but him in his car seat just for the last 10mims as it was the only way to sooth him at the time, only to be told it wasn't allowed! She took him out, felt sorry for her as why should she and he was only tiny. I said to her put him back in if you want to I'll stick up for you (as did several others). If it was me I would have told them were to shove it, but as a new Mum like this lady I wouldn't have had the confidence to do it when my DD was that small. I would now and I won't be going back there again.

DeDevilTail Mon 28-Jan-13 23:36:29

I'm also surprised at the advice to allow baby with RSV to sleep in a car seat. I was warned in no uncertain terms when buying my car seat that baby shouldn't be in it for periods of more than about 90mins as the position means that the baby's lungs cannot fully expand, affecting their oxygen levels. It therefore seems strange that a healthcare professional would advise it.

When my baby had RSV (6 weeks ago), we raised her mattress at one end.

nailak Mon 28-Jan-13 23:39:59

my sure start is great.

they also have a no mobile policy, but if it is an emergency they will watch your kids while you go out of the room to reception.

I think the issues is about taking photos and privacy, at our sure start if you want a photo they will take it for you and print it out for you.

anothershittynickname Mon 28-Jan-13 23:42:58

Yes nailak the issue is with photos - however, I signed a form agreeing to not take any and therefore expect to be treated as a grown up with regards to the use of my phone. (The arseyness in my post is directed a surestart, not you). I have and will not return to a children's centre for these reasons!

nailak Tue 29-Jan-13 00:53:22

there are 2 ssc's in my area one lets you take photos....

Children's Centre have rooms that are used for contact, or SW meetings, it brings in income.

An intervention for a child on a CIN plan, is to attend groups, the same for CP and then if it moves to foster care, there is consistancy.

Most of the workers in the Children's Centre didn't fully understand what the Family Support Workers, did.

Depending on who is attending the CC, photos are not allowed.

We have had cases of families/friends joining the CC, to gain access to a foster child and trying to take sneeky photos.

honeytea Tue 29-Jan-13 03:43:26

They told me to keep him in the car seat to sleep when we arrived at the hospital, he had come in an ambulance in his car seat. They had one of those fish bowl baby cots which was angled but ds is very big and wiggly and just ended up at the bottom of the cot. He is big 13 pounds so maybe that helped. We never left him to sleep in the car seat as we held him all the time, there was a bed for me and a bed for my dp and we had a private room so we did sleeping shifts so we could hold him upright. One night I slept with him in bed with me but again we had sliding down the bed problem.

Madmum24 Tue 29-Jan-13 09:34:21

Sure Start is an initiative to hopefully prevent anti-social behaviour down the line.

I was told we weren't allowed to attend as we didn't fall under the deprivation catergory! I was totally put off though when I saw the valentine's day decorations in the toddlers room; "Shaznay 4 Brooklyn 4eva" hearts with the kids names in them, might reduce crime long term but what about teen pregnancies! Tackeeeeeeeeeeee

ubik Tue 29-Jan-13 12:11:07

Re: 'tummy time'

I had three children and they all hated being on their fronts do we're always on their backs until they could naturally roll over. None had flat heads. Dd2 is an acrobatic gymnast.

OneSliceOfSwissCheese Tue 29-Jan-13 12:16:05

Geekster was this the baby movers session in Carterton?

blackeyedsusan Tue 29-Jan-13 13:24:57

sure start centre like you to sit on the floor....

I would like to see them insist... grin i think I would take a blanket to sit on... because at the end I would have to remain sitting on it, possibly lie as I would be physically incapable of getting up again as I sort of seize up, and I could have done with a nice long sleep to be honest... oh to lie and laugh a them working out how to move me. (think beached whale)

nailak Tue 29-Jan-13 14:50:11

madmum is not the centres fault, is the way they are funded.

Pobblewhohasnotoes Tue 29-Jan-13 15:15:46

Babies don't like tummy time to start with, ours didn't. You just turn them back over and try again the next day. But people get put off because they cry.

Honeytea, babies should only spend two hours at a time in a car seat because of the risks mentioned. As a nurse myself I can't believe someone would advise that, it's not safe. You can tilt the mattress using towels. smile

MoodyDidIt Tue 29-Jan-13 16:39:18

sure start centre like you to sit on the floor....

jeez hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now