to be judgy pants about people that have tattoos and keep getting more, especially women??

(533 Posts)
dontsqueezetheteabag Mon 28-Jan-13 09:08:39

I hate tattoos. Whilst I appreciate everyone has a right to their own taste and choices I still cannot get over the fact that people have them in places where they are visible.

A colleague of mine has just returned to work after M leave with a horrific tattoo from her wrist to her elbow. How can she go out and meet clients looking like that?? It can be seen through tops and obviously below short sleeved tops.

What I really don't like is seeing lovely brides on their wedding days, strapless dresses and tattoos on their upper arms and backs..... urgh!!!!!!

Anyone else with me??

BupcakesAndCunting Mon 28-Jan-13 10:21:47

My, my.

There are some delicate flowers on here this morning. Someone get the smelling salts out, sharpish.

Montybojangles Mon 28-Jan-13 10:21:54

YABU regarding tattoos in general, YANBU with regard them on show at work depending on what a persons job is. If there is a specific, smart dress code, then it's likely that tattoos in obvious view would be frowned upon.

I think some can look lovely when on show in people's personal lives though, so YABU re/ wedding dress etc. it's personal preference. I hate UGGs, but wouldn't say someone looked hideous because they were wearing them.

dontsqueezetheteabag Mon 28-Jan-13 10:23:02

Monty I also hate Uggs!!!

HanneHolm Mon 28-Jan-13 10:23:45

Ugg wearers are generally mass murderers.

Chandon Mon 28-Jan-13 10:23:52

Even Sam Cam has a tattoo.

They are ubiquitous now.

It is more of a statement to NOT have one.

BarredfromhavingStella Mon 28-Jan-13 10:24:37

Of course YABU, what other people choose to do to the skin that belongs to them is none of your concern & as the proud owner of four, yes four shock , tattoos I can honestly say I could give less than a shit about your opinion.

Would also agree with comment up-thread, someone with a tattoo wouldn't judge you for not having any so what does that say about you?

I have a wrist tattoo that covers half of the inside of my arm.

I also have a tramp stamp which I got at 15. I forget I have that one though.

Each to their own. No one forces you to look at them or have one yourself

higgle Mon 28-Jan-13 10:25:32

I wouldn't have one myself, but accept some people like them and provided you can't see them when they are dressed for work that is fine with me. I manage a work force of about 40 and do not recruit anyone with visible tattoos or piercings. Fortunately discrimination laws do not restrict choice when it comes to smokers/grossly overweight/tattoos and piercings.

Btw Iceland employees have to wear bandages over any visible tattoos! That makes it more obvious they have them I think.

BupcakesAndCunting Mon 28-Jan-13 10:27:56

"Fortunately discrimination laws do not restrict choice when it comes to smokers/grossly overweight/tattoos and piercings"

Doesn't restrict choice when hiring judgemental divs either if they hired you.

YorkshireDeb Mon 28-Jan-13 10:28:12

renniehorta "I hate them and it does colour my judgement of people who have them." What judgement is that then? I have a tattoo. It's in a subtle place & you'd never know unless I decided to show it to you. What is your judgement of me? That I'm a bit rough?
don'tsqueezetheteabag you put your point of view forward very forcefully. I'm amazed that you've been surprised by the reaction you got. What were you expecting people to say. No one has an issue with you not liking tattoos. There's lots of things I don't like. But when you make rude comments about people who like different things to you, you need to be prepared for people to make rude comments to you in return. X

manicbmc Mon 28-Jan-13 10:34:41

I can't see why the post on page 3 was reported. You are being judgemental OP and it even says so in your title. hmm

I'm a professional person (dentist) and I'm very heavily tattooed. None of them are visible in my uniform although they will be in my wedding dress. I expect that many of my clients would be shocked to know how heavily tattooed I am under my uniform. Lucky for me I can hide the things that might put people off wanting to see me. The comments I've heard from people who don't want to 'see the black dentist' turn my stomach. He can't do anything to avoid people's prejudice.

manicbmc Mon 28-Jan-13 10:37:49
ScumbagCollegeDropout Mon 28-Jan-13 10:40:31

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Oh wait.

This is serious?

I really don't get why some people display such hatred for something that does not affect their own body or indeed their life. The vitriol against tattoos/piercings is laughable.

Why give a fuck what someone else does to their body when it doesn't impact you?

especially women? hmm FFS

FlouncingMintyy Mon 28-Jan-13 10:43:39

One thing I hate 100,000,000 times more than any tattoo is any person calling another a bitch!

Seriously, what a vile, horrific post! Sorry if you don't like it that some people don't like tattoos (surely this thought has already crossed your mind at some point?) but what a ridiculously ott response to someone else expressing their opinion. You do not sound like an educated person at all Danilion.

freddiefrog Mon 28-Jan-13 10:44:10

Oh, you can judge me and my tattoos if it makes you happy. I really don't care what you think of me.

As long as you don't mind me judging you based on stupid comments you've written on an Internet forum!

KatyTheCleaningLady Mon 28-Jan-13 10:44:18

I'm going to just jump in here and say it: I do judge people for their tattoos.

I like some tattoos. I like them best when the person is clearly committed to tattoos and the look. So, things like full sleeves or a full back piece or tattoos on the neck look great, IMO.

What I judge are the "tasteful" little things on women. Tramp stamps. Tinkerbell on the shoulder blade. Little roses or whatever in some place or another. That, to me, is just doodling on yourself and I think it's fucking stupid.

Either be totally committed to looking like an alternative person - be inked all over - or not. Hell's Angels, Rock stars, and Maori warriors look great with their tattoos.

I spent my 20's living in San Francisco in the 90's, hanging out with people who were into the art and/or music scene. I never did get tattoo because I knew inside myself that there was nothing my 23-year-old self wanted for the rest of my life. I knew that I was going to grow and change as a person.

AlienReflux Mon 28-Jan-13 10:50:23

katy i wish I'd had that wisdom at 15 and 22 sad

HintofBream Mon 28-Jan-13 10:54:48

I don't like them, I don't hate people with them, but I do question their judgement when it comes to turning up at interviews with inky graffiti visible.

I have tattoos, 3 of them, lovely pieces of art in places that aren't always visible.

My dh has a tattoo - a massive back piece that was done by a fabulous tattooist. Most of his work colleagues have ink, too - they are all professionals and could give less than a farthing for anyone else's opinions on their ink.

None of us are 'alternative' - unless by alternative you mean being able to choose what to do with my own skin without reference to anyone wearing a skin tight pair of judgypants.

'Especially women' <snort> I thought this was 2013, not the sexist past!

DeepRedBetty Mon 28-Jan-13 11:00:09

One thing I find incredibly irritating is when someone's had a word or quotation done which is then part covered. Am I the only person who's spent five minutes trying to work out what's actually written on some receptionist's wrist and lower arm while waiting my turn in the queue? And then when I get to the front it's her colleague who deals with my query so I can't ask?

EggRules Mon 28-Jan-13 11:02:35

I'm not with you either. YABU ,old fashioned and supercilious

You are unreasonable for making moral assumptions about another person's behaviour/ attitude based on a minor difference in their appearance.

Tattoos are becoming more commonplace. It is fashionable to have them in visible places. I don't have one but don't judge people that do.

EldritchCleavage Mon 28-Jan-13 11:04:41

What is interesting about this thread is all the lurking judgments people hint at but won't spell out about what having tattoos means, especially on women.

I loathe tattoos, but that's an aesthetic judgment, not a moral one. Now that they are so fashionable, in particular, they don't tell you anything much about the person wearing them except that the person has succumbed to the fashion for tattoos.

I'm a conservatively dressed, middle-aged suityperson at work but even I question whether, in this day and age, employers really ought to get away with a repressive, super conformist erase-your-personality-while-at-work approach to employees that makes them cover up all tattoos on principle. It's too far down the spectrum that ends up at those big American corporations that tell men 'White shirts only, no beards' and dictates that black women must have straightened hair (yes, really!)

KatyTheCleaningLady Mon 28-Jan-13 11:04:54

I also judge people who fake tan themselves orange, wear a ton of thick slap, and have three-inch-long airbrushed acrylic nails. But, at least none of those things are permanent.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now