to be judgy pants about people that have tattoos and keep getting more, especially women??

(533 Posts)
dontsqueezetheteabag Mon 28-Jan-13 09:08:39

I hate tattoos. Whilst I appreciate everyone has a right to their own taste and choices I still cannot get over the fact that people have them in places where they are visible.

A colleague of mine has just returned to work after M leave with a horrific tattoo from her wrist to her elbow. How can she go out and meet clients looking like that?? It can be seen through tops and obviously below short sleeved tops.

What I really don't like is seeing lovely brides on their wedding days, strapless dresses and tattoos on their upper arms and backs..... urgh!!!!!!

Anyone else with me??

I don't like them for myself but I love looking at other people's. some of them are really beautiful.

The reason I wouldn't get one is because my taste changes as I get older. What I'd have loved in my teens is not what I'd have in my twenties and certainly not what I'd have now in my thirties.

I'm worried that I'll end up hating it.

manicbmc Mon 28-Jan-13 09:46:30

I have 3. They weren't rash decisions in my teens. I got them when I turned 40.

The difference between people with tattoos and some people without them is: people with tattoos would never judge you for not having any.

YABU nothing to do with you.

Renniehorta Mon 28-Jan-13 09:47:40

I don't like tats but....I have a meeting with my bank in an hour - if the advisor i'm seeing happens to have tattoos it really won't bother me. As long as she approves the loan!
However I bet she won't have any, at least not showing. The reason being that the bank would not want them as part of the corporate image that she would represent.

In these days when jobs are so hard to come by, any visible tatoos are limiting the jobs that would be open to you.

I hate them and it does colour my judgement of people who have them.

YouOldSlag Mon 28-Jan-13 09:49:19

OP YANBU. And lots of people on this thread have been very rude to you.

Some of my friends have tattoos and I am always interested to hear about the story behind them, but I do agree, it doesn't look nice and I would never do it myself. I think they look like Grafitti on your body.

However each to their own and all that.

chocoluvva Mon 28-Jan-13 09:51:02

Thank goodness for "Not having tattoos is now the way for young people to stand out from the crowd"! I'm sure a lot of people with tattoos will regret them.

I also think it can look professional - though it depends on the particular tattoo a bit. My definition of looking professional is giving the impression that you're going to put the requirements of your job/or customers/patients/pupils before your personal tastes and (up to a point) needs iso that you can get the work done as well as possible.

Yakshemash Mon 28-Jan-13 09:51:16

See, I think it's highly likely that a financial advisor will have a tattoo these days. Which is why they're doomed. Tattoo parlours will soon be as rare as cobblers.

DeepRedBetty Mon 28-Jan-13 09:52:51

The thing is, if you bought a lovely piece of clothing or item of jewellery or had your hair done in a beautiful style, and then six months later Katie Price/Kerry Katona/insert name of celebrity of your choice who you would be embarrassed to be compared with goes out and gets 'your' thing and is all over the tabloids with it, you can put the outfit back in the cupboard, the jewellery back in the box, get your hair restyled.

You can't do that with a tatt.

dontsqueezetheteabag Mon 28-Jan-13 09:53:09

Renniehorta Thank you! Finally someone who understands my point about work and tattoos!!

I used to work for a large bank and any tattoos you had were not be be on show and were to be covered at all times. I does not portray the right image in the corporate workplace.

Renniehorta Mon 28-Jan-13 09:54:51

See, I think it's highly likely that a financial advisor will have a tattoo these days.

I have never come across one. They tend to be the most conservative of people. They generally deal with older people who have money, the most conservative demographic of all.

Mrsrobertduvall Mon 28-Jan-13 09:54:55

Personally I hate them.
My nephew has one which is very personal to him, featuring my father's favourite quote- he was very close to him.
When he had it done, I agreed that it was beautifully done, but I still didn't like it. His decision....nothing to do with me, but I expressed an opinion.
Not being judgy, just saying how I felt about them.

A hairdresser at my salon has amazing sleeves...but I still don't like the permanence of them.

ShephardsDelight Mon 28-Jan-13 09:56:08

I have 2 tattoo's I got both underage wink

I don't like the 'I have so many tattoo's it looks as if its all muddled together' look, a few look nice.

Renniehorta Mon 28-Jan-13 09:57:20

Renniehorta Thank you! Finally someone who understands my point about work and tattoos!!

You're welcome! It seems obvious to me.

Theicingontop Mon 28-Jan-13 10:00:15

Well-done pieces are pieces of art in their own right. You can't deny that, and where people choose to display their art on their body should be no concern of yours.

Shit, ill-thought out, scratcher-done tattoos are offensive to the eye and offensive to the artform. Amazingly, still none of yours or my business, though.

chocoluvva Mon 28-Jan-13 10:00:52

Aaagh - meant to say "can look unprofessional" - not professional. blush

AlienReflux Mon 28-Jan-13 10:01:20

I hate really boring looking people, especially women and in their wedding photos too!? who do they think they are? going around inflicting their dullness on me?

Yes YABU

AmberSocks Mon 28-Jan-13 10:02:26

i like them when they are well done.

i had some dodgy ones done when i was 15,im now paying to get them removed.

i think they can be a form of art.

StupidFlanders Mon 28-Jan-13 10:08:33

It's normal in some cultures for men and women to have tattoos. How do you know what their beliefs are?

Dannilion Mon 28-Jan-13 10:14:08

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Fairylea Mon 28-Jan-13 10:15:58

Yanu. And prejudiced. And actually most people now, including employers, don't give a shit about tattoos.

My dh is absolutely covered in them from head down and he's never had a problem in interviews or jobs (and works in management) ever. I am the same.

HanneHolm Mon 28-Jan-13 10:16:51

Dannilon - how uncouth you are. post reported

HyvaPaiva Mon 28-Jan-13 10:18:53

Why do some people feel the need to be so horrible?

What like you, you mean, OP? You called your colleague's choice 'horrific' (really? Actually horrific? hmm) and referred to brides with tattoos as 'urgh'. You are the one being rude and horrible.

HecateWhoopass Mon 28-Jan-13 10:19:38

grin

funny. It is possible to understand someone's point of view and still disagree with it.

People don't disagree because they don't understand what it is someone is saying.

They disagree because they do understand and they don't agree.

It never fails to make me laugh when people think that the only reason someone disagrees with them is that they don't understand what they are saying. As though if only we could just understand what they are saying, we'd all go ohhh, THAT'S what you meant. Ok. of course you're right.

grin

understand does not = agree
disagree does not = not understand

dontsqueezetheteabag Mon 28-Jan-13 10:20:43

Dannilion a PhD is an indication of of how well educated you are.... not how professional you are in your every day work.

Thanks for your feedback though. I will also be reporting your post

HanneHolm Mon 28-Jan-13 10:20:50

I think saying a tattoo is horrible is like expressing an opinion on mumboots ™

SoWhatIfImWorkingClass Mon 28-Jan-13 10:21:18

YABU. Just... get over it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now