to not understand why so many people are 'proud' of babies rolling over, crawling, walking etc?

(285 Posts)
HiggsBoson Sun 27-Jan-13 21:21:21

Unimportant bollocks I know, but humor me smile

I have a 3yo DD. Lately I'm noticing more and more people on facebook and in general conversation going on about how very proud they are that "DS rolled over" or "DD crawled"

As for toileting hmm

I've always felt that pride is an ugly thing and hand on heart I have never been proud of DD Crawling, walking or taking a shit. I mean, these are human bodily functions and surely no reflection on your offspring's intelligence or your capability as a parent? So what's to be proud of?

Sure - when DD is a little older and does something for someone else of her own volition as an act of kindness, then yes, I might be proud of that. If she helps people and achieves happiness for herself and others then I might also be proud of her for that. But rolling? Nah.

Am I being a twat?

Fakebook Sun 27-Jan-13 21:37:58

In answer to you question: Yes you are being a twat.

Why can't people be happy for their child's milestones? How does it affect you? If you weren't happy when your dc first smiled or crawled then you must be one odd person.

Yabu

HiggsBoson Sun 27-Jan-13 21:39:49

andtheycalleditbunnylove that's naughty - you've taken me out of context.

I said I'd never gone about telling folk how terribly proud I am if her crapping, weeing, rolling, crawling etc.

play nicely ;)

Arthurfowlersallotment Sun 27-Jan-13 21:41:15

I can't help but feel proud when my child learns something new. It's not something I make a decision on, it just is.

Though I don't share it on Facebook..

HiggsBoson Sun 27-Jan-13 21:41:34

Happy, yes. Relieved, yes. Proud?

Gruffalump Sun 27-Jan-13 21:42:19

YABU

And miserable.

I suggest you get over yourself.

Hope you manage to keep your apathy hidden from your children

HiggsBoson Sun 27-Jan-13 21:43:49

Haha grin

I suggest you get over yourself.

Surely my OP suggests the opposite?

Altinkum Sun 27-Jan-13 21:43:55

YABU, and quite rude too as bit everyone is like your dd!!!

Ds was severely burnt in a BBQ accident at 11 months old where he was beginning to walk, due to the severity of his burns (3rd degree) his social/developement and language skills were put back 2 years as all his effort and concentration was to get better, and with minimum contact, (due to isolation) and medical needs his WHOLE development was put behind twofold!!!

Too bloody right am I proud that ds learned to crawl again, begin to walk sound his first words etc...

At age 3 he needs intensive speach and lauguage therapy, need social skills etc... Is WAY behind his peers!!!

But am I fooking proud of every mile stone by brave baby boy has endured and smiled through every log painful, skin crafts and 19 general anaesthetic to get to get to the stage he is at now, not only physical or developemently.

So your dd reached her stages due to natural progression, my ds is fighting against all the odds against him!!! and winning those odds, just at a much later time!!!

sausagesandwich34 Sun 27-Jan-13 21:44:11

ken dodds

yes it happens in work interviews

you ask the question

they look blank having not anticipated the question and then say having children is what they are most proud of

threesocksmorgan Sun 27-Jan-13 21:44:46

Altinkum you can share them with me anytime.

InNeedOfBrandy Sun 27-Jan-13 21:45:04

I understand OP I wasn't that bothered about dc when they were babies doing things they were supposed to be doing, but now in a school assembly or parents evening I'm a ball of tears at how amazing they are and why can't everyone else see my dc are the cleverest beautifulist (I know thats not a word) amazing children.

neveronamonday Sun 27-Jan-13 21:45:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HiggsBoson Sun 27-Jan-13 21:46:26

Not the same Altinkum. Of course you will take great pride in your DS's achievements.

HiggsBoson Sun 27-Jan-13 21:47:45

InNeedOfBrandy and neveronamonday seem to get my gist here.

It's the oversharing I'm on about here.

wanderingcloud Sun 27-Jan-13 21:47:45

YABU

I'm very excited, and yes, proud, when my son hits the big milestones.

So are his extended family who all live far away and rarely see him. So I post things on fb so they can see and feel like they aren't missing out.

If any of my friends aren't interested, they don't have to read it!

Personally, I love it when my friends post a vid of their childs first steps. I think it's lovely that they are proud.

OhBotheration Sun 27-Jan-13 21:47:56

YABU but I do sort of understand what you mean.

However, DD2 was born at 25 weeks and owing to the circumstances surrounding her prematurity we were told that she would probably be disabled with a high risk of cerebral palsy.

Everything she does is fucking amazing. I am unashamedly proud of her.

KenDoddsDadsDog Sun 27-Jan-13 21:50:26

sausage I don't think I've ever had that answer ! Suppose it's a cop out .

HiggsBoson Sun 27-Jan-13 21:50:45

Again OhBotheration your DD sounds incredible and I too would be very proud.

It's the bigging up of the mundane I'm talking about here.

"DD ROLLED OVER shock"

Erm...and?

threesocksmorgan Sun 27-Jan-13 21:51:42

well Op you are being a twat

HiggsBoson Sun 27-Jan-13 21:52:57

Haha grin

Pobblewhohasnotoes Sun 27-Jan-13 21:53:07

YABU.

I'm proud if my baby does something new. I find it amazing watching him discover how to do something he couldn't before, the determination he puts in until he does it. It's great.

Scheherezade Sun 27-Jan-13 21:56:38

Actually you sound like you have too much pride of your own, you sound very cold and haughty.

I was so, so proud of, pleased for and generally chuffed when DS learned to walk. He had been trying so hard, and he made it.

Bit then I love my child for being him, not what he can show off in front of other parents "when she helps another child" indeed hmm

Softlysoftly Sun 27-Jan-13 21:56:50

Op you are backtracking!!

Had you said "AIBU to not care that friend is proud of little tallulahs every potty piss?"

Then you would have had a lot of YANBU.

You specifically said You werent proud of your DDs normal achievements and didn't get why anyone would be.

Two very different statements.

1 makes you a twat

1 means you are right!

OhBotheration Sun 27-Jan-13 21:57:25

Thanks Higgs, but I am boring as fuck on FB with my uber gushiness and "look what my miracle daughter did this week" column grin I'd be blocked from your news feed.

MrsKeithRichards Sun 27-Jan-13 21:59:21

So it's the sharing on facebook that you hate?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now