full moon

(55 Posts)
duckduck Sun 27-Jan-13 18:41:18

Does anyone else become a moody, mad, irrational, irritable, man hating, short tempered, bloated, angry bitch when it is a full moon - not realising it is a full moon - and then cry, shout and be totally miserable? Then realise it happens around full moon?

I know in hosp having my babies there were more born, wards were busier and more heightened emotions around full moon but Im not sure if this is a midlife crisis, Im knackered or its just the flipping moon? Anyone else??

flow4 Mon 28-Jan-13 09:08:45

Statistics describe what happens in groups, not for individuals. So when Worra (or anyone else) says there's 'no evidence' of a full moon effect, that means the population of women as a whole don't experience it, not that you personally don't.

Statistically, you'd expect 1/30 women to start their periods on the full moon, and 3/30 to start within a day of it, and 5/30 - i.e. a sixth of us - to start within 2 days of it. And since most of us (estimates suggest about 85%) experience some kind of hormonal effect - PMT, moodiness, etc. - then you'd expect about 1 in 7 or 8 women to start their periods around the full moon and feel affected by it, though only a smaller number will feel 'loony'.

The rest of us don't feel a full moon effect though, so statistically speaking, there's no effect even if you're climbing the curtains and baying at the moon grin

MoominmammasHandbag Mon 28-Jan-13 09:12:16

Worra I am disproportionately disappointed to learn that. I have genuinely always assumed that everyone gets their period on the full moon, based I suppose on my Mum, my University flatmates and now my daughters being in sync with me.
Basdvoc just me and you in tune with our inner moon goddess then smile

fieldfare Mon 28-Jan-13 09:32:35

Me too. I've always got my period at full moon. Pmt over the weekend was horrendous.
There might not be any evidence but I can definitely feel a change.

duckduck Mon 28-Jan-13 10:28:29

OK am off to doc this morning so will go with armfuls of this and hopefully not get sent off to psych ward... though that might be a nice peaceful restful place compared to my house this weekend and the storm I created. kin ell Id rather feel mildly shit all the time than like this every month..

Badvoc Mon 28-Jan-13 11:15:00

Moon goddess!?
Hmm...I think dh would describe it as more of a moon dictator with sociopathic tendencies! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now