To say Yorkshire puddings are pointless

(203 Posts)
McNewPants2013 Sun 27-Jan-13 15:54:47

There is no flavour to them, and take up space on the plate that could mean an extra roast potato

Shutupanddrive Sun 27-Jan-13 16:38:36

YABU! I love them

StuntGirl Sun 27-Jan-13 16:39:07

YABVU. They are the food of gods. We're not having them today because we have no eggs sad

MrsPnut Sun 27-Jan-13 16:44:22

I have never heard such blasphemy. shock

I am from yorkshire and my family used to serve Yorkshire puddings as a starter with gravy and onions sliced and steeped in vinegar.

My recipe is half a pint of milk and three eggs beaten together and then add enough plain flour to make it the consistency of double cream.
There is a photo of my yorkshire puddings on my profile from an old thread about them.

woopsidaisy Sun 27-Jan-13 16:45:01

I am currently making my way through the James Herriot books, and he says that the yorkshire pudding was a starter. It was used to fill the stomachs of the poor farmers. After the pudding you got the actual "dinner". He was very upset because Helen had just put a plate with a gorgeous slab of pudding on his plate, and....he gets called out to a farm miles away!

DreamingOfTheMaldives Sun 27-Jan-13 16:45:24

How dare you insult the food of my home county! You should be ashamed of yourself grin

Yorkshire puddings with lashings of gravy and a little horseradish sauce are delicious!

flatpackhamster Sun 27-Jan-13 16:46:02

Get ye over to the food threads, OP, and find out how a proper Yorkshire is made.

IDrankAllTheGravy Sun 27-Jan-13 16:47:40

You're all bonkers, Yorkshire puddings and roast potatoes are vile.
Fill me up with stuffing and veggies any day

Montybojangles Sun 27-Jan-13 16:48:42

YABVVU, best bit of a roast dinner, and yes, you need a new recipe. You don't cook it in the juices from the roast, that's for the gravy, you cook it in clean smoking hot oil/fat.
Please come round to mine to see if I can change your mind, im making them tonight and I promise they will be delicious.

cumbrialass Sun 27-Jan-13 16:49:19

Clearly Yorkshire puddings should be served as a starter, with onion gravy.
They should then be served as part of the main course, with roast and more gravy.
Finally they should be served as dessert, with jam and custard.

Anyone who doesn't have Yorkies three times a meal is missing out and to be pitied!

Bunbaker Sun 27-Jan-13 16:49:19

"Someone from Yorkshire informed me that they should be eaten as a starter not as part of the main course, what on earth! Can someone from Yorkshire clarify whether this is right,"

Traditionally that was the case, yes. In the bad old days people used to fill up on Yorkshire pudding so that they didn't need to eat much meat at the main meal. I live in Yorkshire and used to go to a lot of trade dinner dances. The meal always had Yorkshire pudding with a delicious onion gravy as a starter because it was the Yorkshire branch of the trade organisation and they wanted to show the best of Yorkshire.

One of my Yorkshire friends was surprised that non Yorkshire people didn't know that Yorkshire pudding was a traditional starter and not part of the main meal.

I prefer my Yorkshire with my meal, I am not fussed about roast potatoes and would rather fill up on Yorkshires. Perhaps the OP isn't putting enough seasoning in the mixture. If they are being cooked in the meat juices they should be full of flavour.

I have found the best recipe is a Jamie Oliver one where you use the same quantities by volume of flour, egg and milk (or half milk and half water to make a lighter pudding - it really does make a difference)

DeafLeopard Sun 27-Jan-13 16:49:38

Consider yourself flamed YABVVVVVVVVVVVVU

brighthair Sun 27-Jan-13 16:50:03

shockshockshock
When I go to a carvery I shun the potatoes in favour of two (or maybe 4) yorkies and stuffing balls blush

soontobeburns Sun 27-Jan-13 16:50:33

I have never had one blush

Maybe cos im from NI but here it is all about 2 types of potatoes instead lol. I dont know anyone who makes them for Sunday dinner.

CharlotteBronteSaurus Sun 27-Jan-13 16:50:34

YABU
I have toad in the hole in the oven right now, and it smells sublime.
Nigel Slater's recipe with half water half milk works really well

nextphase Sun 27-Jan-13 16:51:00

fuzzpig
please tell me more about the bacon version??
I've wrapped sausage in bacon and smothered in batter. Is yours a sausage free one?

Sometimes I make yorkshires to have without a roast. Yum yum yum - and also to the syrup and icecream afterwards, assuming you don't cook them in th bits from the bottom of the beef roasting tin!

ALittleScatterOfRain Sun 27-Jan-13 16:56:02

I do mine in clean fat. And to make sure it's really really hot I take it out of the oven with it all hot and put it on the hob as I pour the mixture in. I don't know if it makes a big difference, but it's how my DMum does it grin

I do them in a bun tin too, I like little individual ones. I always feel most aggrieved if I have them out and it's a huge, frozen one and not very nice. I usually avoid them now, it's not worth the disappointment!

woopsidaisy Sun 27-Jan-13 16:57:00

Agree soontobeburns!

Mine have never failed me - 100ml flour, 100 ml milk to every two medium eggs. 1 teaspoon or small cube of lard in a square pan, heat till spitting @ 250 degrees. Chuck batter in whilst still on the oven rack. Turn oven down to 230 and watch it rise like a cloud ascending to heaven. Don't open the oven door. Ever. 15 mins to perfection. I even took a pic of mine today for Facebook.

I never mess with an individual bun tray, too much faff. I just cut into four pieces there are 3 of us so I ram the 4th piece in my mouth whilst no one is looking and share evenly.

YABU.

Could someone post the Coeliac version please? It could be good for SW also. Yorkies being my weekend downfall....along with gravy....and crumble....and ice cream....

VitoCorleone Sun 27-Jan-13 16:59:41

Yorkshires are the best bit of a meal.

I leave them til last when they've gone cold and soggy with gravy and just shovel them in my big gob.

I buy Tesco Value ones, 12 for 50p. Amazing.

fuzzpig Sun 27-Jan-13 17:00:25

The bacon thing, basically DH just poured the batter mix into a big tray and lay rashers of bacon across it.

No sausages in it that time as I'm not all that keen really. Although I'm tempted to try mini ones with those pigs in blankets you get at Xmas.

DoItToJulia Sun 27-Jan-13 17:00:26

Woah there OP. YABVVVU.

I'd slink off to another thread and name change sharp ish. You will be forever remembered as that loon who doesn't like Yorkshire Puddings!

Some people.

nextphase Sun 27-Jan-13 17:02:14

Thanks fuzzpig I know whats for dinner tomorrow grin

fuzzpig Sun 27-Jan-13 17:03:25

Binfull I'm not sure of the exact recipe as DH does the cooking but basically he just replaces the regular flour with GF flour, same quantities. It's one of the few things where you can do that without fiddling around with amounts to compensate for it being different flour. The other being pancakes since they are basically the same smile

(We use doves farm btw)

VictorAndBarry Sun 27-Jan-13 17:04:43

YABU. Yorkies = yum. Roast tatties = bland.

"He who is tired of yorkshire puts, are tired life"

Oscar Dreams Wilde, 1870

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now