Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To say Yorkshire puddings are pointless

(203 Posts)
McNewPants2013 Sun 27-Jan-13 15:54:47

There is no flavour to them, and take up space on the plate that could mean an extra roast potato

Adversecamber Sun 27-Jan-13 16:09:27

You need Yorkshires because you fill them with your peas to stop them sliding off the plate at all you can eat carveries.

Callmedoe Sun 27-Jan-13 16:10:36

Well, in my honest opinion they are delicious but I did have a recent incident that made me have some doubts about them. Someone from Yorkshire informed me that they should be eaten as a starter not as part of the main course, what on earth! Can someone from Yorkshire clarify whether this is right, I was quite shocked to my very core when I was first told this.

DeepRedBetty Sun 27-Jan-13 16:10:36

Remove a couple of the egg yolks, dsis uses one whole egg and four whites, saves the other four yolks for something else, and her yorkies are divine.

50ShadesOfGreggs Sun 27-Jan-13 16:10:57

YABU!

I love them, and I am not even British so I can't be biased, can I?

Startail Sun 27-Jan-13 16:11:32

Of course they are if you leave pointy batter trails they burn.

Giving Yorkshire puddings to DD1 is pointless, she refuses to put gravy in hers.

PenguinBear Sun 27-Jan-13 16:12:37

YABVU! Yorkshire are the best part of any dinner!!

You must be making them wrong!! grin

AnnoyingOrange Sun 27-Jan-13 16:14:01

I agree that they are tasteless and pointless

smile

jamdonut Sun 27-Jan-13 16:15:16

I'm not Yorkshire, but I live there. I have heard that before, about them being a starter. Not something I would want to do really...I love my gravy and mash with them too much!!

youfhearted Sun 27-Jan-13 16:15:32

i very rarely make them and in fact can't make batter after all as I have no eggs sad

Doyouthinktheysaurus Sun 27-Jan-13 16:17:34

YABVVU!

Yorkies make a roast dinnershock

My Yorkies are divine! They rise, majestically, really crispy and scrummy. The main reason for loving roast beef is the addition of Yorkshire pud.

We love toad in the hole in this house too, with a nice onion gravy<drools>

OneHundredSecondsofSolitude Sun 27-Jan-13 16:19:18

Op is surely a yroll? To oust something so deliberately inflammatory, I believe is against The Rules. Goading. Isn't that what they call it?

GilmoursPillow Sun 27-Jan-13 16:20:15

YABVVVU.

<wants Yorkies>

thegreylady Sun 27-Jan-13 16:20:51

YABU-Yorkshires are the best part of a roast beef dinner.
When I was young my Gran used to say,"Them as eats most pudden gets most meat!"
The idea was to fill us up with the cheap stodge as the joint was often very small.However my own dc [and my lovely steps] felt it should be,"Them as eats most meat gets most pudden!"

McNewPants2013 Sun 27-Jan-13 16:21:18

smile annoyingorange someone agrees with me.

MerylStrop Sun 27-Jan-13 16:22:05

they are the food of the gods
and whack your roastie into a cocked hat
i now have to make some to go with our roast lamb (laughs in the face of convention)

ah hah!

are you actually working for the yorkshire pudding marketing board?

thegreylady Sun 27-Jan-13 16:22:24

Meant to say that is why they should be served alone with gravy before the rest of the meal.I always make a tray of little ones in a bun tin so there are extras to have with the meat.

Try them with golden syrup icecream or with a spoonful of jam and a drop of milk. You will thank me.

Wishfulmakeupping Sun 27-Jan-13 16:22:43

I'd rather have an extra roastie any day of the week -YANBU

TomArchersSausage Sun 27-Jan-13 16:22:47

'Yorkshire puddings are pointless'<gaspshock>

Iam reporting this thread. Rarely h ave i seen such filth posted on mumsnet.

Callmedoe my granny always served a massive Yorkshire pudding as a starter for Sunday dinner. She wasn't from Yorkshire, but had lived in York for many years.

I love Yorkshire pud. My favourite part of the roast. YAB unbelievably U, OP!

PuppyAdvicePlease Sun 27-Jan-13 16:33:01

I love yorkshire puds but only just recently found a recipe that actually works in my crappy oven. My nans puds are THE best!
So come on, tell me all your recipes? I do one cup flour, one cup milk, salt and 1 egg. Is there a better way?

Lafaminute Sun 27-Jan-13 16:36:58

I've never eaten a yorkshire pudding and I'm afraid I agree with OP confused

That's how I do it too, Puppy - always turn out fine for me smile

TheVermiciousKnid Sun 27-Jan-13 16:38:32

YANBU. They simply shouldn't be allowed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now