That princess and angel literally make me cringe?

(102 Posts)
Wishfulmakeupping Sun 27-Jan-13 15:27:08

Am expecting a little girl soon- however she is already being referred to as princess or angel. I have said to DH not to use the word angel I hate it and said I don't like princess either he still wants to use it.
I don't know where this hated comes from but whenever anyone uses the words to describe the baby it drives me mad- it would be Ott to tell people not to use it though- I'm gonna have to suck it up aren't I?
Really hope once she has a name I won't have to hear either again

DD is known as "Tiny Pestilence" by me and by "Breezy Barnacle" by DP.

Princess, Angel and the like are cringeworthy

Jules666 Fri 08-Feb-13 12:20:17

There's a girl in my 8 year old son's class called 'Angel'. She's anything but!!

notso Thu 07-Feb-13 11:46:19

I call all my DC DD and 3 DS's angels or cherubs, but also modwenna flouncipants, griswald, grumpington-smythe, and pudsable.

I hate lil' princess and lil' man.
BIL and wife are having their PFB soon and although though they don't know SIL is adamant she is having Daddies little princess and everything will be pink.

MsVestibule Thu 07-Feb-13 11:21:16

suzyrut why do you want DD2 to be like your DD1 and reject dresses? Is there something better about girls who prefer trousers than those who prefer dresses? Or are you just projecting your likes/dislikes on to them?

bedmonster Thu 07-Feb-13 10:46:47

YANBU, they are very cringey.

But I would never comment on someone calling my DC either of them. Madderhat you sound like an utterly precious, self important, controlling DIL. It's just a bloody name.

Both of mine get referred to as monkey bum!

suzyrut Thu 07-Feb-13 10:37:28

It's all been said but just wanted to agree wholeheartedly that you are very definitely NBU. Expecting 2nd daughter have instructed all family members and friends that should anything with the word "princess" or "precious" be purchased it will go straight in the bin. Hoping she turns out like dd1 who has refused dresses since she was a toddler!

PartTimeModel Thu 07-Feb-13 10:27:18

YANBU - my DD's get called Princess and Angel by so many people from family members, friends parents, people we meet in the street etc. its FUCKING CRINGEWORTHY but seemingly unavoidable.

I'm not going to walk around all <catsbummouth> about it on the outside anyway

I counter balance it my calling them silly names and NEVER going there re princess/angel.

Ignore & counter attack is my advice.

WorriedMummy73 Thu 07-Feb-13 10:22:44

The whole 'sexy' thing makes me feel ill. My SIL refers to baby boys like that, did it with both of mine when they were babies, - 'who's a sexy boy?'. Actually made my skin crawl. DP tried it once and I hit the roof, told him how wrong it is and he couldn't see my point at all! Wonder how he'd feel if someone referred to DD as sexy. Completely gross.

Can't say I really have an issue with princess or angel though - unless they're being used towards kids who are anything but! DD is 'chicken' (Mum calls her 'Pigeon'), DS1 is 'Doodle' and DS2 is 'Monster' (I think he drew the short straw). Mum also refers to the boys as Snitch and Snatch, which I find particularly amusing.

MadderHat Thu 07-Feb-13 09:41:44

Sherbert: No, I explained to her why I found it uncomfortable to hear her use those terms, and she elected to use terms of endearment that we both find acceptable rather than just use them out of my hearing. We agreed that she would also have a special term that was for her use only, which to be quite honest I can't pronounce correctly because it's in Sinhalese. We also made sure that, although we had first choice on actual names, they were ones which didn't mean anything rude in her first language, one of the middle names for each child represented the Sri Lankan aspect of the family and there weren't any other cultural problems with our name choices.

gymmummy64 Mon 28-Jan-13 14:02:42

I'd wait until the baby is born. I stunned myself by the things I cooed at both mine when they were small and gorgeous!

IWorshipSatin Mon 28-Jan-13 13:13:50

I had the same response when someone called my foetus (at the time) "peanut" and "bean" - an actual physical cringe.

Of course that foetus is now my precious princess angel darling daughter grin

neveronamonday Mon 28-Jan-13 13:11:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CatsRule Mon 28-Jan-13 10:58:07

I haven't read all the comments so I don't know if anyone has already mentioned this but my bugbear is lil aarrrggghhh!

Sil stop refering to my son as lil yes he is little in size but stop it stop it stop it!!

Ahhh feel better now grin until she says it again!

SherbetVodka Mon 28-Jan-13 09:41:52

My MIL called my son "my angel" which made me cringe.
1) he wasn't hers
2) I have friends whose babies have died or been born dead and they refer to them as their angels, so to me a child referred to as an angel is dead
3) she might also have been referring to children who are always good as being angels and that's really an unreasonable expectation
which could cause problems.
So, I explained those and she stopped.

Your poor MIL. The "my" thing probably only meant "my grandson", which he is! My mum calls DS "my boy" and I think it's quite touching as it shows how much she loves him and how attached she feels to him. He is hers, in a way and I'd feel just as happy with MIL saying that too.

Am pretty sure she didn't mean that your child had to behave perfectly at all times either, it's just a term of endearment FFS! My mum always used to call me and my siblings "my angel", it was just like saying 'darling' or 'sweetheart'.

As for the "angels mean dead children" thing, yes bereaved parents do tend to refer to their children as 'angels' but so do lots of parents, grandparents etc of healthy, living children. Each to their own though.

I just can't believe you actually stopped her from using a well meant, affectionate term of endearment to her little grandson. Did you really tell her that she couldn't call him "my angel" because he wasn't hers??

Sometimes Mumsnet makes me dread becoming a MIL shock

MrsReiver Mon 28-Jan-13 09:04:37

Birds, I
I have a neighbour who calls her daughters those kind of "endearments"

Her facebook status the other night was "that's the bitches in bed, time for CBB" I could have cried.

So compared to that Princess and Angel seems pretty favourable!

Camwombat Mon 28-Jan-13 08:56:26

seriously I heard a nan talking to her grandson saying "who's nanas little sexy boy" wrong, just wrong.

Ariel21 Mon 28-Jan-13 08:26:30

Who the f**k calls their children sexy!? It bad enough when my stepdaughter sings 'I'm sexy and I know it' complete with dance moves hmm

Princess/angel/etc causes me to vomit especially when it's a facebook/public splurging. Constantly refer to your (normal, non-royal) child as "Princess" and an over-inflated opinion of his/herself is almost inevitable.

Oh and 'baby on board' signs are just a way of showing off... "Look! I have babies!" I would hate to think someone would drive erratically around my car because I don't have any children.

MrsKeithRichards Mon 28-Jan-13 08:09:02

My ds is toots, buddy, soldier or similar.

GregBishopsBottomBitch Mon 28-Jan-13 07:58:27

My daughters nicknames are "Pip" or "Smelly knickers", oh i loves that child.

BambieO Mon 28-Jan-13 07:56:44

Snort at señor whingy pants haha love it

paperclips Mon 28-Jan-13 07:25:46

I think they'd know kids were in the car by all the snotty handprints and crisps on the seats.

Back to the princess thing, DH pulled me up the other day on calling our baby boy "the little prince" because he knows I hate princess for girls. But I was refering to the walking around in the cold to get him to sleep as if he's royalty.

Now usually he's baby chicken, little bear, fatty, Mr Mardy-bum or Señor Whingey-pants

mummysaidno Mon 28-Jan-13 07:19:06

My Lo is called Eggy by everyone.

thelionessrichie Mon 28-Jan-13 07:02:52

Dunno, I did a first aid course recently and there were done horror stories about babies being left under seats etc, I think I'd look if I saw the sign

leonardofquirm Mon 28-Jan-13 03:27:17

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now