Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

That princess and angel literally make me cringe?

(102 Posts)
Wishfulmakeupping Sun 27-Jan-13 15:27:08

Am expecting a little girl soon- however she is already being referred to as princess or angel. I have said to DH not to use the word angel I hate it and said I don't like princess either he still wants to use it.
I don't know where this hated comes from but whenever anyone uses the words to describe the baby it drives me mad- it would be Ott to tell people not to use it though- I'm gonna have to suck it up aren't I?
Really hope once she has a name I won't have to hear either again

fl0b0t Sun 27-Jan-13 17:59:41

Snap- f*cking hate it!

Fecklessdizzy Sun 27-Jan-13 18:07:32

Nope, I'm with you OP

Angels are blokes and princesses are soppy ( unless they're Xenia, and she'd have been even more kickarse if she wasn't a princess - Warrior Queen sounds way more impressive grin )

We call our two Itchy and Scratchy, or Thing1 and Thing2 ...

OryxCrake Sun 27-Jan-13 18:10:20

I used to call my boys 'angel' (among other things) when they were little. Have no idea why and I used to make myself cringe sometimes as it's not a term I'd normally use. It just seemed to pop out though! We all got used to it - and it was just a term of endearment, after all.

You need to watch the history channels more often, you would find out how unsoppy Princess, were (or the cross cultural equivalent).

Dogsmom Sun 27-Jan-13 18:16:22

I'm not keen either which is odd as I'm no feminist and do have a fondness for the colour pink and all things sparkly even though I'm 38.

My pfb is due is 6 weeks and is a girl but there will be no 'princess on board' sign in the back windown of the car.

Egusta Sun 27-Jan-13 18:25:33

Ds is interchangeably Sweetie Pops, Pumpkin Pie, Horror Head and Baby Monster.

All said with affection.

But a colleague took me aside last week and said eh really hated me calling him 'Baby Monster' as in 'Sorry, got to dash, have to pick up the Baby Monster' as she thought it was awful. It honestly is said with lots and lots of love.

Egusta Sun 27-Jan-13 18:26:26

Oh, and sometimes- if there are - um - smells - emerging then he is 'all smoke and no fire' if he does not need the nappy changed.

NickECave Sun 27-Jan-13 18:30:07

As a child my mum called me "pudding" when feeling affectionate and "madam" when I was being a pain. I sometimes refer to my DDs as "madam" and then try to stop myself as I hated it.

Fecklessdizzy Sun 27-Jan-13 18:31:35

Birds We live on the history channel! But I'm afraid Bloody Mary and Liz heart-and-stomach-of-a-concrete-elephant et al get rather trumped by the whole Disney Princess/non more pink thing you see all over the shop ...

Actually, I have boys, my brother has boys, the only female in the whole clan is DH's niece who was princessed within an inch of her life by all his rellies and has grown up to be gorgous, tough and brighter than the rest of us put together so I think I'll shut up now.

Mumsyblouse Sun 27-Jan-13 18:35:04

I call mine all kinds of terms of endearment, angel, sweetie, my best girl (x2), who cares?

I think if you call your children 'hilarious' rude names when they are babies, you have to make sure you drop it sharpish when they understand what it means. I was called a nickname that related to a negative aspect of my personality as a child, and I still remember it now!

PragmaticWench Sun 27-Jan-13 18:48:34

I was told off by a friend yesterday for calling my six week old daughter Grotbags when she cried, so I must be mean.

It also makes me cringe and want to scream when my mother calls her 'Grandma's gorgeous girlie' repeatedly. Eugh!! It's the term girlie that is the worst part...

makemineamalibuandpineapple Sun 27-Jan-13 18:51:12

My son's nn is fishface. It would have been fishface even if he had been a girl.

Joiningthegang Sun 27-Jan-13 18:51:30

My bots are "angel" sometimes too - not a gender specific word

Hate prince and princess sonoverall yanbu

All get called stinky too!

Ds and dd1 are thing one/thing two, or the boy/the girl, dd2 is trumpy bum or lilypie.

Dp calls the girls princess I inwardly groan every time.

I call DS angel when he's savaged me. Reminds me I like him really. The rest of the time he's known as Gribbler, which is a cross between grubby and dribbler. I hate princess though.

neveronamonday Sun 27-Jan-13 21:03:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

1944girl Sun 27-Jan-13 21:20:42

Every one I know seems to refer to their DDs as princess, it is awful.I have no daughters but do have our grandaughters.I never referred to any of them as princess.Other people did, and one of them, now a teenager,smokes and regularly gets into fights with other girls.Princesses all grow up.
A previous poster referred to the term ''girlie'' as well.I totally agree with her over her dislike of this term.I have a niece who is mother of three girls, she regularly posts on FB about her ''girlies''.It makes me cringe.

VikingLady Sun 27-Jan-13 22:20:10

Well, DD is sometimes Petal and sometimes Stinky. Usually Stinkerbell. But then I was Scroggly or Sprog.

She frequently stinks, btw. She is 10m. But i expect to still call her Stinkerbell (affectionately) for the rest of my life!

LouiseD29 Sun 27-Jan-13 22:23:43

YANBU - I hate the 'princess' tag and all it connotes!

HopAndSkip Sun 27-Jan-13 22:28:48

I find princess especially cringe-worthily fake and immature.
Probably doesn't help that ExP doesn't bother to contact about DD for weeks at a time but if i bump into him in public while he's with company "Look it's my little princess, isn't she cute" Or some similar shit involving "Princess" is usually his first sentence. Yeuch!

MammaTJ Sun 27-Jan-13 22:56:02

My DDs name means princess and Princess is her prefered form of address. Her middle name means Battle maiden though, so she is not some prissy princess but a Warrior Princess.

LittleMissFantabulous Mon 28-Jan-13 00:08:48

My three are collectively known as the spawns. The older two will answer to this quite happily. The youngest will learngrin

MammaTJ Mon 28-Jan-13 02:25:31

I like that LMF. My DS gets called Chicken Legs or Chicken Licken, nothing like the 'Prince' he demands. grin

BubblegumPie Mon 28-Jan-13 02:33:07

Another poopy pants DD here!

YANBU, but princess/angel not nearly as bad as when people tell their children they're sexy confused

MammaTJ Mon 28-Jan-13 03:08:03

I agree Bubblegum, the sexualisation of children, even in a jokey way is not acceptable!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now