That princess and angel literally make me cringe?

(102 Posts)
Wishfulmakeupping Sun 27-Jan-13 15:27:08

Am expecting a little girl soon- however she is already being referred to as princess or angel. I have said to DH not to use the word angel I hate it and said I don't like princess either he still wants to use it.
I don't know where this hated comes from but whenever anyone uses the words to describe the baby it drives me mad- it would be Ott to tell people not to use it though- I'm gonna have to suck it up aren't I?
Really hope once she has a name I won't have to hear either again

RooneyMara Sun 27-Jan-13 16:04:09

I'm asking for my post to be deleted as it's not very fitting. Sorry everyone.

lolaflores Sun 27-Jan-13 16:05:29

Nothing wrong with "oi you"!
Worked on the 5 of us...

Don't worry about it Rooney. Perfectly good point.

Ullena Sun 27-Jan-13 16:14:14

Re "angel": get her a toy sword and paint flames on it grin Angels were never traditionally cute and adorable; they were powerful terrifying beings!

On the other hand, "princess" always makes me think of the villain from that cartoon...powerpuff girls blush

BambieO Sun 27-Jan-13 16:15:10

I agree rooney I wouldn't worry about deletion, we know what you mean.

Although I don't really mind it I suppose, each to their own, but I wouldn't use it (although I can be known to refer to DS as being a 'little goat' or 'little slug' depending on how much of a pest he is being which is probably no better blush new member for the mean mothers club anyone! )

countrykitten Sun 27-Jan-13 16:15:22

Oh God those car signs...they are horrible! I feel a little bit of sick in my mouth every time I see one.

MadderHat Sun 27-Jan-13 16:24:20

My MIL called my son "my angel" which made me cringe.
1) he wasn't hers
2) I have friends whose babies have died or been born dead and they refer to them as their angels, so to me a child referred to as an angel is dead
3) she might also have been referring to children who are always good as being angels and that's really an unreasonable expectation which could cause problems.
So, I explained those and she stopped.

TomArchersSausage Sun 27-Jan-13 16:28:41

I call my dc angel sometimes. Just between us, I don't go yelling it about or buying stickers.

Once again I'm amazed at the things that infuriate peopleconfused

Wishfulmakeupping Sun 27-Jan-13 16:32:44

I know it's irrational tomarcher but it's an instant reaction whenever these words come up its weird

Wishfulmakeupping Sun 27-Jan-13 16:35:38

Like nails down a blackboard

Sneezingwakesthebaby Sun 27-Jan-13 16:37:30

I feel the same when I hear people say "little man". Makes my skin crawl no idea why!

I called two of my DD's names that mean Princess and Angel, the latter is counting down the days until she can have snakebites.

My DH always called them that, they have lovely memories of him, he died when they were 8 and 10.

They haven't been damaged in any way, by being refered to as something precious.

I live in a rough bit of Liverpool, i hear toddlers getting called, cows, bitches and even slags, that is what makes me cringe.

AreYouADurtBirdOrALadyBird Sun 27-Jan-13 16:40:32

I call mine a harpie,under my breath.

crashdoll Sun 27-Jan-13 16:44:19

These threads pop up from time to time and I never understand them. They're terms of endearment and like Birds said, much better that some of the names some children get called. Your daughter will not grow up thinking she's a real princess if you call her it every now and then. I used to call the children I looked after 'sweetie' as as fair I am aware, none of them believe they actually are sweeties.

LeeCoakley Sun 27-Jan-13 16:45:21

Oooh I hate 'little man' too! Or, worse, seeing 'Me, hubs and our li'l man' on FB. <vomit>

DeckSwabber Sun 27-Jan-13 16:45:27

Ask everyone to call her 'Comrade'

Wishfulmakeupping Sun 27-Jan-13 16:48:26

Don't mean to offend anyone who uses those terms sorry if that's how it comes across I know its me as everyone else in my and OH family thinks its cute maybe I'm just a bit of a snob about this

SolidSnake Sun 27-Jan-13 16:50:20

I don't have children myself yet, but if the pet names I give my cat are anything to go by, I worry for them. grin

Pilgit Sun 27-Jan-13 16:52:25

I use the term 'angel' for my DD's but also, squeek, little bird, monkey, grumbelina farty/stinkpants and a heap of others.

Should also point out that 'angels' are not cute and meek beings in mythology they are kick arse warriors - oh and lucifer was an angel before Michael kicked him out of heaven..... so the term 'angel' is probably incredibly inappropriate! (although DD1 has been a real 'angel' in the two horns and a tail sense all day so probably totally appropriate).

I got nothing but verbal abuse from my father, i never thought much of a fathers relationship with their children, until i watched my DH with my DD's, then i realised that i had missed out on something very special.

And yes, they would have been able to be whoever they wanted to be.

farmerswifey Sun 27-Jan-13 17:29:55

My Father use to call me 'Chubby Pie Shops'....

I hate all the cutsey baby names, hopefully it won't do my little 'gremlin features' any harm not being referred to as a Princess.

nickelbabe Sun 27-Jan-13 17:34:15

you do this.
and please bear in mind you can only get away with this when you're pregnant.

<shout> "don't gender stereotype my baby. if I hear anyone refer to her as princess or angel I will personally remove their head!"

nickelbabe Sun 27-Jan-13 17:36:51

ps.
all angels are male.
tell them to read the bible and then burk's peerage.

countrykitten Sun 27-Jan-13 17:41:24

Birds - that is such a sad post. It would break my heart to hear little girls spoken to like that. sad

DD gets referred to as Princess Snot Face fairly regularly grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now