to hate people who put on an accent when they say a foreign word?

(264 Posts)
JustAHolyFool Sun 27-Jan-13 15:03:44

It really grinds my gears. I was talking to someone the other night and he started talking about the "bella figura" thing in Italy, but every time he said "bella figura" he said it in an Italian accent.

Dreadful.

I speak German but if I say, I don't know, Doppelganger or Reichstag or something, I don't put on a German accent to say it.

My best friend also does this, trilling her r's like a good one if she mentions anything Spanish.

Why is it so annoying? Is it annoying? Is it just me?

What is the right way to pronounce chorizo?

I know I've been mangling it for years blush

50ShadesOfGreggs Sun 27-Jan-13 15:22:04

I find myself pronouncing French words in an English accent too, otherwise people don't know what I'm on about (esp DH).

just am I allowed the grin or not?

DameMargotFountain Sun 27-Jan-13 15:22:13

ah, my smiley...wassup OP?

fishing for compliments?

GettingObsessive Sun 27-Jan-13 15:22:17

Xpost Hazel

We're obviously just dead posh grin

manicbmc Sun 27-Jan-13 15:22:32

'Croysant' Gettingobsessive - that's how to do it. grin

KenDoddsDadsDog Sun 27-Jan-13 15:22:43

I speak fluent Spanish so I say Thara. I'm not a wanker.

JustAHolyFool Sun 27-Jan-13 15:22:51

Getting, I avoid saying it.

I don't mean people saying "cwassant" I mean people saying "CWWASSSASSSAAAAAANT" in a big "look at my french!!!!" way.

Besides which, when I was growing up, it was a crescent. No joke.

JustAHolyFool Sun 27-Jan-13 15:23:27

That inane grin needs to be done away with. It makes me vom.

SamuelWestsMistress Sun 27-Jan-13 15:23:57

I had a friend who studied German. I always used to chortle when she pronounced Lidl with an over exaggerated German accent. Even my German friend says it normally.

fraktion Sun 27-Jan-13 15:25:21

But if you actually speak the language it's really fucking WEIRD to pronounce a loan word in the anglicised (or whatevered form) if it's not been fully assimilated.

I'm not going to say 'crassont' or 'pan oh chocolate' to DS. 1. He'd correct my pronounciation which wluld look 50 times more pretentious and 2. it's not what they're called in my head.

Exceptions are city names and things like 'le parking' in Fremch where they've take a vaguely related English word and use it for something different. Croissant is a fine line, but on the footing that say 'wurst' correctly I have no excuse with a language I do speak.

But even if you're speaking in English, maybe you also speak French, if so there are certain words it's hard to 'un-pronounce' correctly

I live in France and if we end up moving back to England I don't want people to think I'm a twat for saying certain words very French-ly, it's just I don't want to lose the correct pronunciation (which was not easy for me to get in the first place)

GettingObsessive Sun 27-Jan-13 15:25:25

Well that's just odd OP smile

And as for you manic, croysant indeed.

JustAHolyFool Sun 27-Jan-13 15:25:56

Ah Samuel, I am guilty of that. What a mess of contradictions we are.

But I say Leedle. Not LEEEEEDLLLLLLL.

GettingObsessive Sun 27-Jan-13 15:27:05

Is there a chance that you're just a bit, well, cross OP?

A lot of small things seem to be getting to you.

Is everything OK?

<head tilt>

JustAHolyFool Sun 27-Jan-13 15:27:28

Ah dreaming, but it doesn't matter what you do some people are going to think you're a twat so I'd just carry on with your crrrrrooooissssaaaaaaaaaaaaaangggg and your "Parrreeeeee".

I'm sure some people think I'm a twat for getting het-up about such a non-matter.

freeandhappy Sun 27-Jan-13 15:27:40

Thara is the limit of pretentious daftness unless you are in Spain talking to spaniards. <gavel>

DameMargotFountain Sun 27-Jan-13 15:27:43

<passes OP a bucket>

i think there's some more coming

that's pronounced 'bu-k-et' btw, not 'boo-kay'

50ShadesOfGreggs Sun 27-Jan-13 15:28:08

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Sorry OP I couldn't resist... grin

oh I don't do thees at all, oh non non non he haw he haw

ahem

my funniest moment (prn mommon) was at a Sea Life type centre in the UK where the staff gave a talk about Pirana. Piran hu wah are from Nicar awer doncha know.

CHORTLE

What gets me is when people do the exaggeratedly "correct" pronunciation (so overly correct it sounds to a native ear as if they're mocking the accent), then look at you smugly as if you should applaud them for being ever so clever knowing the right way!

I get what you mean about really exaggerated/pretentious accents, or accents on words whose pronunciation has been anglicized for a long time.

But it makes no sense to me to talk about 'English pronunciation' of foreign words. Which 'English pronunciation would that be? When you think about English words like bough, rough, through?

English orthography is confusing enough without someone taking away the nice simplicity of being able to say foreign words in a decent cod-foreign accent!

SignoraStronza Sun 27-Jan-13 15:31:35

YABU

I speak Italian pretty fluently. Lived there for quite a long time. Still dream in the language occasionally!

If I'm saying an Italian word I'll automatically pronounce it properly. Sorry if you find it so offensive.

(btw, having to order 'a panini' really annoys me - I'll always ask for a panino.wink )

Nancy66 Sun 27-Jan-13 15:31:47

I'd rather attempt a shite French pronounciation that sound like an utter cock by asking for a bottle of 'so vig non blank'

JustAHolyFool Sun 27-Jan-13 15:32:49

LRD, not sure I get your point. The English pronunciation of bough, rough and through are totally different...it's not the same issue at all.

I mean dropping the usual English cadance, for example. One minute they're all stress unstress stress unstress. Then they just bounce into a mad CHORRRITHOOOOO and it's all ruined.

Okay so a simple 'Pa-ree' is okay but 'Paaaaaarrrrrrreeeeee' is not. Right?

I'm fine with that. I'm not that much of a twat then.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now