Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to hate people who put on an accent when they say a foreign word?

(264 Posts)
JustAHolyFool Sun 27-Jan-13 15:03:44

It really grinds my gears. I was talking to someone the other night and he started talking about the "bella figura" thing in Italy, but every time he said "bella figura" he said it in an Italian accent.

Dreadful.

I speak German but if I say, I don't know, Doppelganger or Reichstag or something, I don't put on a German accent to say it.

My best friend also does this, trilling her r's like a good one if she mentions anything Spanish.

Why is it so annoying? Is it annoying? Is it just me?

LaQueen Thu 31-Jan-13 10:33:42

Was taught French/German, by native French/German speakers...so find it impossible to not pronounce these words in correct accent.

And?

Wallison Thu 31-Jan-13 10:49:03

It makes me a bit cringey when people do this. My parents are quite bad for it, but they think they are being sophisticated, bless them. For eg my mum's favourite clothes shop is pronounced "Bong Marshay" and my dad has long embarrassed me in restaurants by putting on a cod-Italian accent when ordering Italian food (he went to Italy. Once. 50 years ago.)

It can be quite funny though when people pronounce things really badly. For eg one time when I was in Turkey I was eating lunch with my then-boss and his mad-arsed wife who was all blonde extensions, botox and bling and thought herself quite the sophisticate. Our food came and just as we were about to tuck up she looks up and says loudly "BONA BETTIT". My Turkish wasn't great but I really didn't have a clue what she was going on about although I tried to nod politely, while inwardly thinking "What the fuck is she going on about now?" (she quite often said things that didn't make a lot of sense). So she starts shouting "BONA BETTIT. BONA BETTIT" and gesticulating at the food. Then it dawned on me. She was saying "Bon appetit".

CoteDAzur Thu 31-Jan-13 11:12:31

Maybe nose surgery left her talking nasally? P became B etc.

Wallison Thu 31-Jan-13 11:22:43

Heh. Could be. I think it was the combination of Turkish accent/English ears/French words. I did feel extremely thick not to have got it though.

TessTing123 Thu 31-Jan-13 12:59:09

I once offered someone a "krud-ite". They kindly took me to one side and explained it was pronounced crudité. I had actually been joking but lamely thanked them and felt a total tosser.

Room 101 anyone?

ArielThePiraticalMermaid Fri 01-Feb-13 20:40:29

Yes, Room 101! That video was cringey!

Spag-hayteee!

blonderthanred Fri 01-Feb-13 20:42:34

Ha I just came on MN to see if anyone else on this thread was watching!

Lambethlil Fri 01-Feb-13 20:47:37

Meh. As I said to my uncle when he laughed at me for saying Neslay, not nessels, I've got a French degree it would be pretentious to mispronounce it.

PickledInAPearTree Fri 01-Feb-13 20:47:46

I was wondering if mel comes on her because her next one was toddler groups... If the third is cat shit we have her bang to rights!

blonderthanred Fri 01-Feb-13 21:02:41

Lambeth, I had forgotten I thought it was pronounced Nestles when I was a child. Ah such innocent times...

DrCoconut Fri 01-Feb-13 22:48:51

Lambeth, my mum always insisted on correct pronunciations so we didn't look ignorant and what she called "Brits on holiday". Nestle was always Neslay, never Nessle! My ex used to laugh at me nobhead for this.

Wallison Mon 04-Feb-13 10:22:09

They even used to say Nestles on the adverts back in the day (remember 'Nestles Milky Bar'?). Not Nesslay. So although it may not have been the strictly most correct pronunciation, it was the correct one as far as common usage went. Just the same as Paris is not pronounced Paree in the UK.

One that I have noticed that seems to have changed recently is paprika. Even around 15 years ago, it was pronounced paPRIka in the UK, but more are more people seem to be saying PAprika now.

mercibucket Mon 04-Feb-13 11:02:47

i refuse to say pain au chocolat in whatever the english version is (shudder)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now