To ask son to shower every night?

(94 Posts)
mrsgregorypeck Sun 27-Jan-13 10:11:55

I ask my son (11) to have a shower every night before a school day. This leads to lots of huffing and puffing and occasional temper tantrums.

To be fair, I remember my brothers at that age were required to have a bath every Sunday and only "a good wash" at the sink in between. <<adjusts lacy shawl while settling down on rocking chair>>

Have our perceptions changed of what constitutes acceptable levels of cleanliness or am I just being unreasonable?

my chaps shower every night (pre teen and teen); it's evolved from the bathtime routine when they were wee.

No bad thing to be clean, this age is when the whiffyness can start, and we can all remember going to school with a smelly child. sad

Milliways Sun 27-Jan-13 10:20:22

At 11 mine started showering every morning - it's what wakes him up! He staggers out of bed at 6.20 - 6.30 and stands in the shower for far too long, but he does it without question and is always ready to leave for the bus at 7.20.

CreamOfTomatoSoup Sun 27-Jan-13 10:21:51

Unless he plays rugby daily then he doesn't need a shower daily. A 'gentleman's wash' at the sink, cleaning his armpits and bits, should be enough. Do his arms and legs smell?

Alliwantisaroomsomewhere Sun 27-Jan-13 10:22:31

YANBU. My 8 yr old DS is getting to the stage where he needs to shower every day. At the moment it is probably 5 days a week he showers. I don't want him to turn into DH who thinks 4 or 5 times a week for an adult male is sufficient! angry

CreamOfTomatoSoup Sun 27-Jan-13 10:22:34

i said daily too much!

Startail Sun 27-Jan-13 10:22:45

Yes if you like paying to heat water.

I don't get this washing when your not dirty habit.

DeafLeopard Sun 27-Jan-13 10:23:41

I disagree Cream - at that age the hormones are kicking in and they get quite stinky without a daily shower.

Branleuse Sun 27-Jan-13 10:26:42

not unreasonable if hes stinking.

I make mine bath every other day

redexpat Sun 27-Jan-13 10:28:39

It depends on your reason, like whether or not he smells, or if he has trouble geting up in the morning.

valiumredhead Sun 27-Jan-13 11:02:56

I have to ask ds who is the same age to shower every night or he honks of sweaty pre teen grin He does a lot of sports at school so needs to.

DoItToJulia Sun 27-Jan-13 11:05:31

My 7 yo showers most days. YANBU.

It's not negotiable in my house, they all accept it now, it's a good routine to get then in.

valiumredhead Sun 27-Jan-13 11:08:09

At 9/10 ds could get away with every other night, now it is definitely needed every day.

escape Sun 27-Jan-13 11:08:41

The OP makes a good point though - think it is totally the norm these days for all and sundry to be bathing/showering every day .
BUT, 'back in the day' we never did, and the fact remains, whilst, yes, there was always the few who needed better personal hygiene, the fact remains - most of us were perfectly clean. Teens/Tweens/Kids/Adults are no smellier now that they were then..

dinkystinky Sun 27-Jan-13 11:13:58

My kids have baths or showers every day - they'd be like that kid from Charlie Brown, all hidden in a miasma of dirt and stink, if they didnt.

Enjoy it while it lasts. Soon you won't be able to get him out of the bathroom!

daffodillady Sun 27-Jan-13 11:47:31

I was always taught that you bath/shower to stay clean not to get clean.

Locketjuice Sun 27-Jan-13 11:50:39

No that's no unreasonable...it's just hygienic!

mrsgregorypeck Sun 27-Jan-13 11:51:54

Thanks for all these supportive replies. It's not as if we are expecting him to wash at an outdoor cold tap in the yard; he has a very nice shower-room all to himself. And I look forward to tallwiv's prophecy coming true, as I'm sure it will.

LadyBeagleEyes Sun 27-Jan-13 11:52:52

Don't worry Op, girls will be on the horizon very soon, and your ds and the bathroom will have a permanent smell of lynx.
DS has been showering everyday since he started High School.

everlong Sun 27-Jan-13 11:53:15

We persuade ds (13) to shower every morning instead of night time. He says it messes it hair up if he has a shower at night!

I do think they need to shower daily though.

Tailtwister Sun 27-Jan-13 11:54:23

YANBU. I think they really need to wash properly every day at that age and if there isn't time in the morning then it's sensible to do it at night. I couldn't function without washing properly at least once a day (each morning at a minimum) and would do at night too if I had time.

I think it's a good routine to get into.

BlackholesAndRevelations Sun 27-Jan-13 12:33:24

Not sure why anyone would think this is U.

SolidSnake Sun 27-Jan-13 12:36:35

YANBU, personally I feel greasy and yuck if I don't shower every day

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now