Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To ask for help on this thread?

(18 Posts)
wanderingcloud Sun 27-Jan-13 23:32:44

I'm not sure if this helps but my DS had terrible diarrhoea in the summer, he was 6 months and it felt like it lasted at least a month, 10/12 nappies a day, horrendous nappy rash. The GP wasn't ever concerned as he never got dehydrated. Each time we went back they gave us the same vague advice. Eventually whilst on holiday we phoned NHS Direct and they advised we try 24hrs giving him just cooled boiled water. It was horrible but it worked.

It actually sounds more like my DD did when she had Noro than cows milk allergy....

DD had Noro, was sick all of twice, but is a sicky child anyway (still occasionally refluxing at nearly 16 mths) so I thought nothing of it, and then did between seven and eleven diahorrhea nappies a day for eight days. She was fine in herself though. Another indicator that it was viral not allergy was when DH went down with it - he wasn't happy and took to his bed moaning whilst baby DD carried on as normal, wimp!

I rang the GP, was told to keep her hydrated with Diarolyte and not to stop dairy as babies need it (had to stop it for DH), and she got better.

As others have said formula is cows milk, and if he had a cows milk allergy he would have been ill on formula. Reduced lactose would still make someone with a cows milk allergy or a lactose issue ill.

As he was fine with 50/50 and both the milk and the formula were cows milk I think it's a coincidence rather than an allergy.

He just happened to get a bug at the same time you switched him to cows milk.

Softlysoftly Sun 27-Jan-13 23:22:57

I think I would go back in tomorrow if it hasnt stopped and make sure he is taking enough fluids.

Hope he's better soon

SavoyCabbage Sun 27-Jan-13 10:37:53

Don't cry! He's having a lovely time in his bouncer and he might just have a bug. It's horrible when they aren't well and they are little.

Groovee Uruguay Sun 27-Jan-13 09:49:44

I'd stay on formula instead of using cows milk and try a small amount at a later date.

Jayne266 Sun 27-Jan-13 09:05:25

Softlysoftly

I saw the gp on Thursday I started the cows milk on Monday and Monday evening he had diarrhoea and have it again on tue and got even worse so stopped.

He Is having diarrhoea about 10 times a day (not lots in each nappy)

I introduced cows milk the week before 50/50 with formula in his porridge and no reaction so went 100% this week.

I saw the doctor on Thursday I think I got blind sighted as it didn't hit me until I got home she hadn't actually have me advice on that issue she just talked about dry skin and how she saw me going on long walks with him and was happy.

Softlysoftly Sun 27-Jan-13 08:44:36

Don't cry you haven't done anything wrong!

My bet is on a bug too if he's never had an issue with his formula before? Also how long had he been having milk in his breakfast before this started?

DD1 and I have just had norovirus and she was playing happy then violently vomiting all of a sudden. She wasn't exhibiting any other signs of a bug iyswim.

How long is it since you saw the gp? How often is the diarrhoea?

DancingInTheMoonlight Sun 27-Jan-13 08:38:52

Weak peppermint tea worked with my ds. You can literally hear their stomach bubble with it. Not to strong tho, put bag in, put boiling water in, take bag out without stewing/squeezing and cool

nefertarii Sun 27-Jan-13 08:35:44

Its entirely possible that its a bug. Intact ds had one around a similar age.

Jayne266 Sun 27-Jan-13 08:34:43

The doctor said he's not dehydrated ( he is currently going mad in his bouncer and shoutinh at the yellow fish) and she kinda just said wait and see ugh I wish I had looked on here before I went to ask her.

He has never had any problem with his bottle he is on aptimal comfort ( it says 40% less lactose) is their a dairy free one I can get.

Thank you for your quick responses am now crying over this.

nefertarii Sun 27-Jan-13 08:34:27

I am allergic to milk. If it was the cows the milk, you baby would have hae a reaction to formula. Also if it is cows milk then all dairy will need to be stopped.
if its is dairy, you will have to wait it out. But go back to the doctors to ensure dehydration is not an issue.

Tbh you can't diagnose a milk allergy from one occasion.

Altinkum Sun 27-Jan-13 08:29:54

Is he on non dairy formula?

Most formula is cows milk.

There is a lot of bugs going about OP, it may have nothing to do with his milk.

cindersinsuburbia Sun 27-Jan-13 08:28:55

try http:dioralyte it helps with rehydration

DonnaDoon Sun 27-Jan-13 08:28:51

Erm, if he has been bad for 6 days like you describe then surely he'll be dehydrated and the doctor needs to see him again ASAP. Do you have a walk in centre that will be open this morning in your area?

SavoyCabbage Sun 27-Jan-13 08:28:00

Did your doctor tell you to continue with the formula?

Softlysoftly Sun 27-Jan-13 08:27:22

Formula is cows milk confused go back to the gp or your health visitor. Dehydration could be a very real danger at 6+ days!

SamuelWestsMistress Sun 27-Jan-13 08:25:45

I think you probably have to cut out all dairy altogether. My friends little one was like this for ages. She managed to gradually reintroduce things as he got older.

Jayne266 Sun 27-Jan-13 08:23:59

Am sorry I know this is not the right thread but I tried another and didn't get lots of advice.
My baby 6.5 months has had a reaction to cows milk (according to the doctor) and has had horrible diarrhoea for 6 days now. I stopped the cows milk (was in is breakie) on day 2.

Has anyone got advice on how to stop him having diarrhoea? From the reaction to cows milk.

He is now currently only on his formula and baby rice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now