to offend vegans by saying...

(99 Posts)
Moominguru Sat 26-Jan-13 23:44:26

From my experience as an ex-vegan I think part of the perceived sense of humour failure is that vegans have heard it all before. A lot of people think it's fine to question a vegan diet & you go get tired of it. If you heard the funniest joke in the world eventually you would get bored of it & it would cease to be funny.

There's even 'defensive omnivore bingo' which predicts the top things omnivores are likely to say & every person on a vegan forum I frequented has heard them all, many times.

Which is why some vegans might want to get together to discuss food without being pestered.

Genuinely curious people, fair enough, but this is just having a dig for the sake of it. It doesn't offend me, nor is it hilarious.

corlan Sun 27-Jan-13 18:16:10

Mildly amusing, but nowhere near hilarious.

countrykitten Sun 27-Jan-13 16:18:50

As a vegan it did not offend me but neither did it make me laugh. A non-reaction from this corner....

loofet Sun 27-Jan-13 15:39:24

But.. its not funny? confused

lljkk Sun 27-Jan-13 13:00:13

I was vegetarian for 16 years and sometimes think I'd like to go Vegan. Eating meat in meantime.

I thought it was hilarious.

Sense of humour bypass or what? One club I will not join is Taking-Themselves-Too-Seriously Eaters.

RooneyMara Sun 27-Jan-13 12:40:36

Ribbing always makes me think of durex. I really can't seem to see it on a page and not think it's about condoms.

DoItToJulia Sun 27-Jan-13 12:20:58

Up to a point, I agree.

However, I don't think telling someone that you think they are offended when they have said they aren't offended is spoiling for an argument.

I just don't think that poking fun at people's choices generally is big or clever.

LadyBeagleEyes Sun 27-Jan-13 12:10:05

I agree with Pictish.
Ffs it's a silly, harmless joke.
Wheesh.

pictish Sun 27-Jan-13 12:08:30

I don't particularly.

I do think getting your pants in a faff over a harmless, ignorable poke in the ribs is annoying though. Do all the vegans and vegetarians on here sucking on a lemon never ever have a passing snort at the expense of someone else?
Course they do! We all do!

None of us are exempt from a little good natured ribbing. Far better to be able to laugh at yourself, than imagine you are something special and above reprieve.
Don't you think?

Dominodonkey Sun 27-Jan-13 12:01:32

Yanbu - I think it's funny and I find it offensive that lots of people on this thread are insulting people and lording it over them because they have a different sense of humour. I am not a vegetarian but would never criticise someone who was and I am quite happy eating meals without any meat in. The person who has made the poster is making fun of the vegans need to have an exclusive support group (is anyone else getting a 'finding nemo vibe from the poster- fish are friends!) not the act of being vegan itself.

DoItToJulia Sun 27-Jan-13 11:50:56

I don't understand why you care pictish?

pictish Sun 27-Jan-13 11:48:31

Not offended? Methinks you are!

tiffinbaker Sun 27-Jan-13 11:47:08

I don't think vegans generally would find this offensive as such. Idiots behaving idiotically isn't offensive. The picture reflects badly on the person who made the notice and the people who think it's hilarious, and makes them look small-minded. It does no harm, just lets the rest of us know who not to bother with in future. Stupid people just don't seem to realise how utterly utterly dull their jokes about vegetarianism are. What people choose to eat is their own business. If you can't get over that and feel the need to make this kind of fuss about it then I pity you but am not offended, no.

pictish Sun 27-Jan-13 11:44:25

Pathetic, sad, and bursting with laughter.
I feel sorry for them too. Laughing sucks.

Fakebook Sun 27-Jan-13 11:40:55

It made me smile, but someone must have a lot of free time on their hands to do that. I feel quite sorry for them. What a pathetic and sad life they must have.

RooneyMara Sun 27-Jan-13 11:31:31

strangely I rarely have fancied a veggie bloke though.

fascicle Sun 27-Jan-13 11:31:13

Is this a sense of humour test for vegans? Find this joke funny, or we'll know know you don't have a SOH.

RooneyMara Sun 27-Jan-13 11:31:10

grin

pictish Sun 27-Jan-13 11:29:36

I was a veggie for 12 years or something.
I fancied myself rotten. Lol!! grin

RooneyMara Sun 27-Jan-13 11:24:55

Oh fair enough Marceline.

RooneyMara Sun 27-Jan-13 11:24:26

<stands up>

blush

No I do try....

MarcelineTheVampireQueen Sun 27-Jan-13 11:24:06

I am one Rooney.

TheBigJessie Sun 27-Jan-13 11:20:46

But, none of you are carnivores... In fact, all of us, including the vegans, veggies, and meat-eaters are biologically omnivores.

Unless one of you is going to stand up and claim you never give your children fruit and vegetables?

I'm waiting! (I need a Sonic the Hedgehog smiley.)

RooneyMara Sun 27-Jan-13 11:18:58

Have you ever been one Marceline? Having the same two or three comments from people again and again can make you feel a bit persecuted!

perplexedpirate Sun 27-Jan-13 11:07:55

Offensive: no.
Snide, unoriginal and unfunny: yes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now