to offend vegans by saying...

(99 Posts)
Moominguru Sat 26-Jan-13 23:44:26

I found it funny. I get that others might not.

I do object to someone telling me that something isn't a joke if they don't find it funny. It might be a crap joke but it was still a joke.

Dawndonna Sun 27-Jan-13 10:16:04

I have two veggies in the house, both found it amusing.

Puds I'm sorry all you are doing is perpetuating the old thing about Vegans being martyrs.

RooneyMara Sun 27-Jan-13 10:16:53

I really think people who make informed choices about their diet are the ones who rattle all the other people's cages....

why does it bother a carnivore if someone else chooses not to eat meat/dairy etc?

It clearly bothers the person who wrote that little ad and pinned it by the first one.

I'm not a vegan or a vaggie. I was for about 15 years. I found a lot of people couldn't deal with it so they came up with jokes like this...

RooneyMara Sun 27-Jan-13 10:17:53

er, that would be veggie. VEEEEEEEggie. blush

AgentZigzag Sun 27-Jan-13 10:17:57

'I find the few vegans I know very pass remarkable on what I eat'

I've found that too, they lecture about the choices they've made and how everyone else should do the same, far more than non-vegans.

RooneyMara Sun 27-Jan-13 10:18:26

nearly wrote weggie.

I have a 3wo on my lap.

Branleuse Sun 27-Jan-13 10:20:11

is it supposed to be funny????

Haggischucker Sun 27-Jan-13 10:28:28

I'm vegetarian, have been for 24 years, DH is not and he has a T shirt that says 'I love vegetarians............ More meat for me' it tickles me every time he wears it! Classic BBQ wear. I did smile at the OP but have seen funnier, I don't tend to take it too seriously.

CheCazzo Sun 27-Jan-13 10:30:44

Not particularly funny. Maybe you're much younger than a lot of us OP?

Anyway - can't see why anyone would have an opinion on what another person eats or does not eat. Why is that your business?

As for this from balotelli -

"What I do find funny is how 'meat eaters' seem to feel threatened by us Vegans. They often feel the need to question our beliefs and diets while we Vegans rarely question them, if they want to increase their risk of numerous illnesses then that is their problem" -

Let me help you out there. I don't feel threatened by you and I'd be surprised if anyone did tbh. However, your preachy oh-so-holy tone makes me want to throw large lumps of meat at you whilst pissing on your courgette patch. HTH.

RooneyMara Sun 27-Jan-13 10:30:50

See I think that's funny, Haggis smile

It's not having a go at anyone is it. That's the difference.

crazycanuck Sun 27-Jan-13 10:32:51

I find it funny, but we all have differing senses of humour. Incidentally I showed this same photo to 2 of my veggie (vaggie ha ha RooneyMara!) friends a couple years ago. One had been veggie for years, the other had recently 'converted' and was quite evangelical about her lifestyle choice and put forth her moral superiority on it at every opportunity. The friend who was the veteran veggie found it hysterical, the recent convert hated it.

tittytittyhanghang Sun 27-Jan-13 10:40:24

made me laugh.

pictish Sun 27-Jan-13 10:44:37

Oh it's just a silly joke!! For crying out loud!

Since when have vegans been so special that we cannot poke a little light hearted fun about it?

It's not a dire insult. It's not a total slating. Christ!

I'm with Che. Preachy, martyr vegans and vegetarians (or is that vagitarians, Rooney? wink) give me the absolute screaming shits, because, as a quiet, mind-my-own-business vegetarian who chuckles good-naturedly when people jibe me frequently about my dietary choice, I don't want to be lumped into the same category as them. Support group for vegans my arse. Why not just put up a poster saying, 'LOOK AT US! LOOK AT US HERE ON OUR MORAL HIGH-GROUND! COME JOIN US AND WE CAN POINT AND LAUGH TOGETHER!' and append photos of all the members.

But back to your original point OP. Not 'hilarious', but I smiled inwardly and would like to have given the carnivore a high-five.

LadyBeagleEyes Sun 27-Jan-13 10:47:46

It made me smile.

pictish Sun 27-Jan-13 10:51:55

I was at a deeply crusty festie in the summer there, and saw a guy wearing a t-shirt that said 'Vegans are attention seekers'.

I laughed at his cheek.

That'll be 50 public lashes for me then. grin

RooneyMara Sun 27-Jan-13 10:52:05

I'd not have a problem with it if I thought it was genuinely funny like Haggis's DH's t shirt.

It just seems to have an element to it that's quite nasty iyswim. Like the person who did it genuinely feels aggrieved by vegans.

Maybe they know a particularly horrid one who annoys them. There are some of those about for sure.

But leave the rest of us (in my old self, that is) alone...not all of us try to convert everyone else/preach about it etc. We just get on with it.

It gave me a chuckle when I first saw it.

Though what I found even more funny as the idea that vegetarians and vegans needed a 'support group'!

pictish Sun 27-Jan-13 10:54:25

It's not a support group, it's a mutual admiration society. wink grin

Shakirasma Sun 27-Jan-13 11:01:57

Maybe I'm a pedant but I couldn't find it funny because I too irritated by the use if the word carnivore, when meat eating human beings are omnivores.

Just one of those things that makes my piss itch. smile

RooneyMara Sun 27-Jan-13 11:02:16

?

RooneyMara Sun 27-Jan-13 11:02:33

@ Pictish btw

ChippingInNeedsCoffee Sun 27-Jan-13 11:02:52

It's just eye rolling boring. People think they're so 'original' and they are not - that is funny.

MarcelineTheVampireQueen Sun 27-Jan-13 11:03:14

Ok its official, no one is allowed to say anything about anyone on mn anymore. This site is now so officially po that everyone is offended by everything.

Pud clearly you are with the wrong people, you are being bullied as you say yet you continue to eat in front of these people.

Vegans are not a persecuted minority ffs.

perplexedpirate Sun 27-Jan-13 11:07:55

Offensive: no.
Snide, unoriginal and unfunny: yes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now