Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to offend vegans by saying...

(99 Posts)
Moominguru Sat 26-Jan-13 23:44:26

Don't get iyconfused
But as a vegetarian (not pescatarian)I'm probably too anaemic and tired to try.

PrettyKitty1986 Sun 27-Jan-13 00:09:52

I think it was funny. I even peed a little bit smile

AgentZigzag Sun 27-Jan-13 00:11:47

'I'm probably too anaemic and tired to try.'

Am I being offensive inwardly smiling at that play on the veggie stereotype?

Tweasels Sun 27-Jan-13 00:11:59

No you didn't

Moominguru Sun 27-Jan-13 00:12:37

Agreed - a "lighthearted" probably would have helped, duly noted. It's just a silly sign - not worth getting upset over.

puds11isNAUGHTYnotNAICE Sun 27-Jan-13 00:14:41

I guess if you haven't had to spend a large amount of time defending your eating choices then you wouldn't understand.

I have had 10 years of having to defend my eating choices. Most of the piss-taking comes from my family, so as you can imagine i get it a lot. I just find it tiring.

Posts like this just feel like another jab.

Moominguru Sun 27-Jan-13 00:17:21

We all make choices we have to defend. If you are living your life in a way you feel is right for you then ultimately that's the most important thing for you and good on you for doing what you feel is right. Maybe you should focus on that instead of taking to heart a silly joke on the internet?

puds11isNAUGHTYnotNAICE Sun 27-Jan-13 00:19:40

Its only a joke if it's funny.

Moominguru Sun 27-Jan-13 00:20:02

I'd hope if I was a vegan I could see the funny side, although I take on board your comments about your issues with defending your choices to your family. I can see how that would get quite tiresome.

AgentZigzag Sun 27-Jan-13 00:20:13

I have spent time taking jibes for what I've eaten puds, but not for being vegan.

But I know what you mean from other things that fuck me off.

I just felt sorry for the OP for posting to have a laugh and getting a roasting for her troubles.

Moominguru Sun 27-Jan-13 00:20:54

Yes, but it is funny to me. That's the thing about sense of humour - we all have a slightly different one.

puds11isNAUGHTYnotNAICE Sun 27-Jan-13 00:24:09

I get that its funny to you, although from your thread title, it comes across as purposely inflammatory. Sorry.

It is literally every meal i eat with any members of my family, there is some negative mention of my eating choices.

I have also had to put up with people pushing meat into my face.

Moominguru Sun 27-Jan-13 00:24:45

Thanks but don't worry agent I'll survive. Like I said, I understand that different people find different things amusing. I can handle a few people telling me they were offended. It made a few other people laugh to so swings and roundabouts as they say.

puds11isNAUGHTYnotNAICE Sun 27-Jan-13 00:25:40

I am sorry for seeming so irate, but reflecting on what i have been subjected too, i can only conclude i have been bullied for my choices.

Moominguru Sun 27-Jan-13 00:26:40

And pud I also take on board your comment about the thread title and concede there - I was guilty of not thinking that one through. I honestly didn't intend to wind people up, just maybe give a few people a laugh. You are right though - I didn't word it right.

AllYoursBabooshka Sun 27-Jan-13 00:27:59

That's disgusting puds.

I wouldn't be eating with those type of people again, family or not.

HopAndSkip Sun 27-Jan-13 01:52:34

A human carnivore would be very unhealthy and would most likely need a big support group due to having a much more restricted diet than vegans.

A herbivore eats primarily just plants
An Onmivore eats plants and meat
A carnivore eats primarily just meat

HoHoHoNoYouDont Sun 27-Jan-13 01:59:44

I've never seen so much attention to Vegetarians as I have since joining MN.

HopAndSkip Sun 27-Jan-13 02:01:41

HoHoHo, that is a good point. I'd completely forgotten I was a vegetarian my entire childhood until joining MN! You don't hear about it in everyday life.

MusicalEndorphins Sun 27-Jan-13 02:34:37

Doesn't look like a support group to me, looks like an casual social common interest and information group for people interested in vegetarianism. The other sign insinuates the vegans are wimps and need a support group.

balotelli Sun 27-Jan-13 07:19:37

Not that funny but then some people have a sense of humour that would find that sort of thing funny.

What I do find funny is how 'meat eaters' seem to feel threatened by us Vegans. They often feel the need to question our beliefs and diets while we Vegans rarely question them, if they want to increase their risk of numerous illnesses then that is their problem but if I want to live more healthily and save the lives of 1000's of beautiful living creatures then that seems to be a problem for a large number of people.

DoItToJulia Sun 27-Jan-13 07:34:54

I agree, veggie/vegan bashing isn't cool.

zignzag Sun 27-Jan-13 07:48:27

Support groups for vegans .... What next support groups for meat eaters?

I find the few vegans I know very pass remarkable on what I eat, always trying to educate me re my culinary choices.. So it works both ways IMO.

As others have said who cares what others eat....

Find it somewhat amusing that vegans may be having dirty thoughts about a pair of shoes or a juicy steak!! What stress to introduce to ones life! Surely if someone is craving meat just eat the bloody stuff. All unnecessary self induce mind fucks IMO. Sure you'd need in patient care not just a support group with having to deal with the guilt of wanting a pair of winter boots.

rubyrubyruby Sun 27-Jan-13 08:29:56

Vegan/Vegetarian bashing isn't good but I find that most of the bashing comes from them towards meat-eaters.

I also believe that hour body craves what it needs. Listen to your body.

AlwaysWantingMore Sun 27-Jan-13 10:04:56

I'm with pud on this one.

I would probably write on the 'carnivore' sign

'you may be more in the Perpetual Tossers' support group?'

In an equally passive aggressive way...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now