Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to let you all know tomorrow is Holocaust Memorial Day

(34 Posts)

Sunday is the anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz-Birkenau and on HMD we remember the victims of the Holocaust, Nazi persecution and later genocides. Please take a minute to visit the Holocaust Memorial Day Trust website to find out a bit more. www.hmd.org.uk

And sorry for hijacking the board - back to wank-badgers vs cunt-weasels now.

Yanbu thanks

diaimchlo Sun 27-Jan-13 21:54:41

No one should ever forget.

eminemmerdale Sun 27-Jan-13 21:57:32

My dd is also 7 and has asked us questions already - maybe from catching glances of tv programmes, or maybe because we have several books around the house (DH modern history graduate who studied this a lot) She was curious as to who 'Randolph Hitler' was and why he was bad, so I very simply explained that he was a very unkind man who didn't like a lot of people who he thought were different to him and he made lots of other people not like them as well, and that he was so horrible he wanted them all to die. We ended up having a good chat about how we are really all the same etc. She has a minor disability as do I so we touched on things like that too. The whole concept of mass murder and gas chambers is far too much for that age, but Ds and his class watched and read 'the boy in the striped pyjamas' in year 6 which I think was about right.

FooffyShmoo Sun 27-Jan-13 22:43:20

My son did a reading at a remembrance service at the town hall. There were schools of all denominations invited as part of inter faith remembrance and understanding. Was just lovely and moving and sad and a wonderful thing for the children to be part of. DSs yr 6 have been creating holocaust art and learning so much about it all. And so they should. It's so, so important.

Softlysoftly Sun 27-Jan-13 22:51:44

I'm watching the programme now heartbreaking and so matter of fact.

I'm so scared this could happen again with Islam if the bnp had their way.

porridgeLover Sun 27-Jan-13 23:28:20

Thank you for the reminder OP. I didn't know that.
I too feel it is something we must never forget happened (and has echos in the Balkans/Rwanda etc).

skratta Sun 27-Jan-13 23:46:07

Thanks for the reminder.

My mother was seven and lived in Denmark. She and her family were Jewish, although I'm not as such, and were helped and managed to escape to Sweden (I am Swedish). Her uncle was killed, and her brother was shot and kilted. He was only ten, and was shot because he was Jewish and coughed when he was trying to hide.

I know how lucky she was, compared to millions of other people, killed for being just who they were. I hope no one ever forgets what happened.

LadyMaryQuiteContrary Sun 27-Jan-13 23:47:34

Thank you, lurked.

We remember.

thanks

MildredIsMyAlterEgo Mon 28-Jan-13 00:08:47

backwardpossum There's a film on BBC 1 at 10:25pm tonight that everyone should watch - Prisoner Number A26188: Henia Bryer. Very moving.

Watched it earlier and it was indeed very moving. It's incredibly saddening that human beings are capable of such atrocities towards fellow men.

I went to Auschwitz a few years ago, DP is Polish and has family members who perished there. It is a sobering experience (understatement). I'd like to go back but I know for sure I will find it a lot harder now as a parent sad

DP's own father is only alive because he managed to escape being shot and fled to a nearby forest where he lived for a while. He was 7 or 8 at the time

Thanks OP for the reminder

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now