Friend borrowing clothes *warning slightly pathetic*

(35 Posts)
LittletonPace Sat 26-Jan-13 20:11:10

I'm a little bit precious about lending things out, because I hate to think of my things getting damaged or constantly having to ask for them back weeks later.

Anyways, a friend asked to borrow one of my tops, I agreed.

The top has ribbons attached in the inside so you can hang it up. (I always have this top hanging as it's get creased so easily) and my friend has now snipped the ribbons out.

And she returned it unwashed. She returned it the day after she'd worn it out but I never gave her a timeframe in which to give it me back.

Aibu to think you if you borrow something you shouldn't alter the top and you should at least wash it before handing it back?

I know I'm being slightly pathetic about it, but it's just annoyed me. I also would probably never even bother to mention it to my friend.

SparkyTGD Sat 26-Jan-13 20:47:35

YANBU, or pathetic. Very cheeky of her.

cerealqueen Sat 26-Jan-13 21:03:37

YANBU. I hate lending clothes out. My sister used to borrow stuff all the time and either ruin it, or never return it and when I'd ask for it back say 'I didn't realise you wanted it back'. confused then 'I've gotten rid of it' shock. 'It was really old.' And she didn't actually give to charity shops, she used to just put old clothes in the bin.

Once, she gave a pair of boots I lent to her, to a friend!

Say something to her as she ought to have returned it dry cleaned in pristine condition, cheeky cow.

StickEmUp Sat 26-Jan-13 21:09:19

'Never a lender or a borrower be'

Said by dear old Granny StickEmUp.

HollaAtMeBaby Sat 26-Jan-13 21:23:59

YANBU about the loops but on the rare occasions that I lend clothes, I tell people NOT to try and wash them after an unfortunate incident when a beloved skirt was returned to me half the size it had been because my friend chucked it in the washing machine. If it's dry clean only, I ask them to get it dry cleaned, but I wouldn't someone washing something of mine themself <laundry control freak>

HollaAtMeBaby Sat 26-Jan-13 21:25:08

Glossynotflossy why would you want to leave a plastic price tag on your bag? confused

Pigsmummy Sat 26-Jan-13 21:27:35

75 pairs of trousers? No washing machine? Why?

expatinscotland Sat 26-Jan-13 21:29:44

Who on Earth loans or borrows clothes from mates? Yuk. I did that as a teen.

DontmindifIdo Sat 26-Jan-13 21:31:14

OP - if she (or anyone else) asks to borrow your clothes again, you say "no, I don't lend clothes out anymore, I've had a couple of occassions when things haven't come back in a good condition and it really upset me, so I'm not doing that anymore."

AudrinaAdare Sat 26-Jan-13 21:38:57

Well I was going to comment that cutting the loops off was a bit mad and then I saw the 75 black trousers grin

I love a black trouser but IMO the beauty of them is that nobody can tell if you have been wearing the same two pairs for years because they are just, well, black trousers.

Anyway. Your friend was out of order OP. YANBU or pathetic.

AudrinaAdare Sat 26-Jan-13 21:44:05

I used to clothes-share with my mate / lodger when we were in our mid-twenties. It was great, we were the same size and instantly doubled our wardrobe when she moved in.

Then one of us started going out with someone with a skin condition. He claimed he was allergic to the fabric conditioner on the sheets but it was fucking scabies shock which put a stop to that sort of thing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now