Joint webchat with Conservative and Labour housing minister and shadow housing minister, MONDAY 2 MARCH 1pm x

To hate throws

(64 Posts)
neveronamonday Sat 26-Jan-13 19:10:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

jan2013 Sun 27-Jan-13 21:12:16

my MIL kept giving me nice throws and after trying so hard for ages to make them look nice and dd keeping messing them up, i have finally got rid of them. now i actually just put 2 of dds blankets down to sit on on the leather settee and i think it makes it look really homey and cosy instead.

neveronamonday Sun 27-Jan-13 21:09:09

DoingTheSwanThing Sat 26-Jan-13 22:56:01

YANBU. Sometimes they fall down the back and come up covered in dust

hrrumph Sat 26-Jan-13 22:40:54

Well they're not ideal. But when you have a big hole in the arm of your sofa and you can't afford a new one, what's the solution? Doily type arm caps? Or the dreaded throw.

MrsCornflake Sat 26-Jan-13 21:57:46

I have one folded neatly over each sofa, I use them to keep warm in the evenings then I put them back neatly again each morning.

pluCaChange Sat 26-Jan-13 21:44:28

Shark's teeth because there are rows and rows of those little pillow, standing up more or less

And perching because you can't really loll if there's only space between the throw and the pillows. And with the little pillows' being so slippery, there's no support to be had.

Sorry, I'm getting a bit worked up!

neveronamonday Sat 26-Jan-13 21:35:18

LadyBeagleEyes Sat 26-Jan-13 20:50:32

Oh, cross post.
But why would you perch on a bed with a throw on it confused
And I don't know what shark's teeth rows of little pillows are and what you mean by a stingy demilitarised zone either.
<Thick emoticon>

Darksideofthe80s Sat 26-Jan-13 20:49:23

I bought 3 today blush.
In my defence new sofa was delivered this afternoon and I wanted it to still look nice past tea time.

2kidsintow Sat 26-Jan-13 20:48:34

My cat used to sharpen his claws on our fabric sofa, just on the bottom corner. We were a bit worried about getting a leather sofa.

However, he was brilliant with the leather and has left it well alone.

Unfortunately he is now rather geriatric and cannot jump as nimbly as once he could. The sofa now has rather a lot of scratches. You have to look closely to see them, and I'm tempted by the stuff that the cobbler shop sells that is coloured leather-cream for restoring the colour.

LadyBeagleEyes Sat 26-Jan-13 20:47:10

What is a bed for pluCaChange?
Mine, especially in the winter is about being warm and comfortable.
And what is perchinf?

pluCaChange Sat 26-Jan-13 20:45:15

perching

pluCaChange Sat 26-Jan-13 20:43:35

I hate throws on beds, too. Between them, and the shark's teeth rows of little pillows at the head of the bed, there's a terribly stingy demilitarised zone, good only for perchinf, which is not what a bed is for.

Ugh.

LadyBeagleEyes Sat 26-Jan-13 20:43:24

I like teal blush.

ifancyashandy Sat 26-Jan-13 20:41:58

Throws covering old sofas were my saviour when I was a skint but house proud student. But I was utterly anal about washing and straightening them!

Now I have an ancient and battered but beautiful low backed Chesterfield leather sofa which can be cold. I have blankets folded over the back - but naice ones - that can be used as an underblanket and overblanket when one is being a lazy arse. I bloody love them - one of them is furry and I feel like I'm a squirrel in a nest!

Christ, you should see the number of blankets and pillows on top of my bed! All the above plus a 15 tog Hungarian Gooose Down duvet. It's seriously like a dray in my boudoir!

Pandemoniaa Sat 26-Jan-13 20:32:53

Nothing teal is reasonable.

Pixel Sat 26-Jan-13 20:32:37

My cat never touched my leather sofa with his claws, one of his few saving graces. The stupid sofa collapsed but the leather was still in lovely condition <sigh>.
And for the last time, I am not covering up stains, I am preventing them.
<changes name to Hyacinth>

TheCatIsEatingIt Sat 26-Jan-13 20:29:04

I don't like the look of throws, but I like the look of this sofa even less. It's 20 years old, my cousin gave it to me 10 years ago when she was chucking it out, it's got various stains from when her DS was a toddler with sticky hands, and it doesn't go with my colour scheme at all. However, it's comfy and serviceable, and replacing it is pretty low on the list of things to budget for. One day we'll have nice sofas that match, but probably not until the DCs are beyond the sticky paws stage. That's a way off; we've only just started ttc!

Those who've got animals and leather sofas - don't the animals scratch the leather, either accidentally or mischievously? I think DCat2 would knacker a leather sofa before I'd finished getting the packaging off!

ariadneoliver Sat 26-Jan-13 20:23:16

Of course if you invest in a plastic sofa cover then you won't need a throw to cover up stains. The seventies have a lot to answer for. grin

We have blankets folded over the arms of the chairs. The sofas are leather and when it is cold, I sit on them as the sofa feels like an iceberg once the temperature drops below 80 degrees.

You can't use a big sofa throw with leather anyway, not without superglue being involved but I don' t like them anyway. Everyone who I know who uses them is covering up a nasty sofa but they forget that the throws need a wash now and again otherwise you end up with a stinky, dirty throw on top of a stinky, dirty sofa.

Disclaimer- I know that everyone on this thread washes their's regularly

neveronamonday Sat 26-Jan-13 20:12:28

ArielThePiraticalMermaid Sat 26-Jan-13 20:09:58

I have an ancient old sofa. I would love a new one, but can't. So I put a chenille throw on it. They look nice if they are straight, but all wrinkly....not sad

Yanbu

I have throws, to cover up the sofa, they get washed weekly, when my pet allergic friend comes over I can put clean covers on the sofa - it helps. I don't like leather sofas though.

MammaTJ Sat 26-Jan-13 19:55:18

I have a lovely one shoved behind my sofa, but it is taken out when I am cold or when DP gets relagated to the sofa by our DC.

zukiecat Sat 26-Jan-13 19:53:11

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now