Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To hate throws

(64 Posts)
neveronamonday Sat 26-Jan-13 19:10:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BupcakesAndCunting Sat 26-Jan-13 19:35:43

I don't actually mind throws per se. The idea of having things to put over you to keep you warm is quite nice.

I just don't like it when people drape them over the entire sofa because they never stay tidy.

Pfffft who am I to moan though? <looks at cobwebs dangling from corners/inch thick dust on telly>

cocoachannel Sat 26-Jan-13 19:35:46

Oh yes Zukie. My mum wraps her best dinner service in the original bags they came in. We call her Hyacinth Bucket, which winds her up beautifully.

SunflowersSmile Sat 26-Jan-13 19:35:51

We have old crappy sofas with blankets on them covering multitude of sins.
I am clearly pure filth...
Oh well- I'll live!

Pixel Sat 26-Jan-13 19:36:59

How do you keep a throw on a leather sofa anyway? Do they not just slide off?

Porkster Sat 26-Jan-13 19:37:03

I hate sofas covered in throws, it says 'our sofas are shit'. Or 'we're too uptight to let anyone taint our sofas', like modern day antimacassars.

We do have a throw, but it is folded and draped over a sofa arm. Never to be used!

StuntGirl Sat 26-Jan-13 19:37:51

We have one we call the granny blanket that gets folded over the arm or back of the sofa. It's the bloody best thing ever and I love it. I am wrapped up in it now.

Agree that they generally look naff as throws though.

MrsRajeshKoothrappali Sat 26-Jan-13 19:37:55

Even my dad's laptop, which he has no idea what to do with, he just fancied a new toy, has two dish towels over it.

I now have random mental image of a telly wearing a bonnet (no idea why) and now I can't stop giggling.

hmm

Must sort myself out sometime soon.

grin

Pixel Sat 26-Jan-13 19:39:06

Porkster, our sofas are shit grin

babooshkadoll Sat 26-Jan-13 19:39:15

Massive expanses of glass in my house so need throws to prevent sofa fade.
Quite like them
Have a variety mostly tk maxx but also a very expenive Welsh wool designer one.

determinedma Sat 26-Jan-13 19:40:34

Our flat is Baltic and our blankets throws are lifesavers. Ds calls them cosies

Boomerwang England Sat 26-Jan-13 19:42:03

I don't like throws. We have animals so we have to have a leather sofa otherwise it's a bugger to get the hairs off. Teal is a strong colour but it depends more on the throw fabric. For instance, a thick pile carpet of teal would be horrible but might be nice on fleece.

Anyway, it's just one more bloody thing to wash, what with all the animals we have and a baby that drools...

fairylightsinthesnow Sat 26-Jan-13 19:45:16

we call them cosies too. MIL makes quillows at an industrial rate, anytime anyone she vaguely knows has a baby. When I eventually get my life back (ie when the kids grow up) I am going to make her teach me and I'll have a nice little cottage industry. They are beautiful and we used them every day as playmats, blankets, breastfeeding pillows..

neveronamonday Sat 26-Jan-13 19:45:50

SunflowersSmile Sat 26-Jan-13 19:52:40

I have a strong suspicion that blankety things on our sofas are the least of our problems in our untidy house.
I shall take my slovenly self away from this thread.....

zukiecat Sat 26-Jan-13 19:53:11

MammaTJ Sat 26-Jan-13 19:55:18

I have a lovely one shoved behind my sofa, but it is taken out when I am cold or when DP gets relagated to the sofa by our DC.

Yanbu

I have throws, to cover up the sofa, they get washed weekly, when my pet allergic friend comes over I can put clean covers on the sofa - it helps. I don't like leather sofas though.

ArielThePiraticalMermaid Sat 26-Jan-13 20:09:58

I have an ancient old sofa. I would love a new one, but can't. So I put a chenille throw on it. They look nice if they are straight, but all wrinkly....not sad

neveronamonday Sat 26-Jan-13 20:12:28

We have blankets folded over the arms of the chairs. The sofas are leather and when it is cold, I sit on them as the sofa feels like an iceberg once the temperature drops below 80 degrees.

You can't use a big sofa throw with leather anyway, not without superglue being involved but I don' t like them anyway. Everyone who I know who uses them is covering up a nasty sofa but they forget that the throws need a wash now and again otherwise you end up with a stinky, dirty throw on top of a stinky, dirty sofa.

Disclaimer- I know that everyone on this thread washes their's regularly

ariadneoliver Belgium Sat 26-Jan-13 20:23:16

Of course if you invest in a plastic sofa cover then you won't need a throw to cover up stains. The seventies have a lot to answer for. grin

TheCatIsEatingIt Sat 26-Jan-13 20:29:04

I don't like the look of throws, but I like the look of this sofa even less. It's 20 years old, my cousin gave it to me 10 years ago when she was chucking it out, it's got various stains from when her DS was a toddler with sticky hands, and it doesn't go with my colour scheme at all. However, it's comfy and serviceable, and replacing it is pretty low on the list of things to budget for. One day we'll have nice sofas that match, but probably not until the DCs are beyond the sticky paws stage. That's a way off; we've only just started ttc!

Those who've got animals and leather sofas - don't the animals scratch the leather, either accidentally or mischievously? I think DCat2 would knacker a leather sofa before I'd finished getting the packaging off!

Pixel Sat 26-Jan-13 20:32:37

My cat never touched my leather sofa with his claws, one of his few saving graces. The stupid sofa collapsed but the leather was still in lovely condition <sigh>.
And for the last time, I am not covering up stains, I am preventing them.
<changes name to Hyacinth>

Pandemoniaa Sat 26-Jan-13 20:32:53

Nothing teal is reasonable.

ifancyashandy Sat 26-Jan-13 20:41:58

Throws covering old sofas were my saviour when I was a skint but house proud student. But I was utterly anal about washing and straightening them!

Now I have an ancient and battered but beautiful low backed Chesterfield leather sofa which can be cold. I have blankets folded over the back - but naice ones - that can be used as an underblanket and overblanket when one is being a lazy arse. I bloody love them - one of them is furry and I feel like I'm a squirrel in a nest!

Christ, you should see the number of blankets and pillows on top of my bed! All the above plus a 15 tog Hungarian Gooose Down duvet. It's seriously like a dray in my boudoir!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now