Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to think it's compulsory for the female lead in an adventure film to be attractive?

(45 Posts)
kim147 Sat 26-Jan-13 17:19:03

But the appearance of the male lead does not matter?

Film 4 - Journey to the centre of the Earth. Male lead not much to look at. But they have a women to guide them - and obviously she's young and attractive.

Look at any adventure film - there's a male team full of all types of men. Then the token women joins the team and she's very attractive.

Is it Hollywood law?

StinkyWicket Sat 26-Jan-13 19:36:51

It's practically law that any American made film or tv series has impossibly good looking (and therefore bland imo) in it. The only exception I can remember is The Killing, where the main woman looked like a 'normal' person, although was still attractive IMO.

I watched The Orphanage the other week, it's a Spanish film. It looked so much more real.

Mind you, generally it's not the physical attributes of the actors that annoy me, it's more the fact that they all live in enormous houses that are (on the whole) immaculately presented. Only poor, drug-addled and - in the main - black characters seem to live in the smaller apartments that aren't perfect.

Just a few generalisations on the last few films I have watched!

kim147 Sat 26-Jan-13 19:22:43

Feminism and women's rights - now known as feminism chat.

It's an interesting place smile

marjproops Sat 26-Jan-13 19:16:59

Kim whats FWR???

KellyElly Sat 26-Jan-13 19:06:52

Uma Thurman is definitely not pretty or even conventionally attractive yet is seen as hot Er yes she is! She's really beautiful. Most hollywood actors who play the lead roles are. Maybe comedy is an exception, but the romantic hero or leading lady are. It's the same in novels, you rarely get the romantic leads being referred to as ugly.

Trills Sat 26-Jan-13 18:59:22

The attractiveness of women in films is more important than the attractiveness of men. You're not wrong.

kim147 Sat 26-Jan-13 18:57:17

marjproops I have so not disappeared grin

Just look at FWR!!

deleted203 Sat 26-Jan-13 18:55:35

I want to know why it is compulsory for crappy pre-teen things on the Disney Channel to have characters who are only ever one of the following:-

a) an impossibly skinny, good looking girl who's smart and everyone fancies
b) a hunky (but often slightly dim) 'jock' type
c) a ridiculously geeky/nerdy loser who is in the chess club
d) a smart mouthed kid who is always trying to get away with things.
e) a very dumb (but good looking) girl

The girls are always ridiculously gorgeous - yet the teenage boys are always immature idiots that no girl would want to hang out with.

marjproops Sat 26-Jan-13 18:53:23

Hey Kim147 was asking about you the other day , thought you'd disappeared!

Yes the proverbial bond girl thing.

big perky 99% -on -show -boobs, pert bum, pouty lips and perfect skin, more often than not the obligatory topless shot, totally unneccessary to the actual film, then they complain that theyre classed as bimbos etc.-- they have a brain, they have a choice.

and somehow theyre the ones who either save the day or manage to run around in perect hairdo and high heels. and always so predictable whats gonna happen, as in end up in bed together.

StrawberryMojito Sat 26-Jan-13 18:48:21

I agree back2two. But whilst I couldn't care less what the person reading the news looks like (male or female), I do quite like looking at beautiful people on the big screen, it's about escapism I think.

kim147 Sat 26-Jan-13 18:47:47

Exactly - you have maybe 4 - 5 men as the team who range in attractiveness - along comes the female lead and no surprises.

In Volcano, the two vulcanologists - 1 was average looking, 1 was slim and "pretty". No surprise which one fell into the magma.

I do think there is as much male eye candy as female in films I agree but I think it is because the ratio of men to women in films is high. In ensemble pieces there is invariably 3-4 white men, one black man, possibly one 'other' man (Hispanic, Asian...) and one or two women. I'm looking at you, The Expendables/The Avengers/every other action film.

LadyBeagleEyes Sat 26-Jan-13 18:42:04

I was about to say Sigourney Weaver too.
(I can't spell it either)
I do think there is as much male eye candy as female in films.
And in the history of Hollywood, there have been many men that have had to pretend to be hetrosexual so as not to lose their vast army of female fans.

BelaLugosisShed Sat 26-Jan-13 18:40:51

Uma Thurman is definitely not pretty or even conventionally attractive yet is seen as hot .

Back2Two Sat 26-Jan-13 18:40:49

Um. Hasn't anyone noticed this is the trend everywhere in the media?

Men can be old, rugged, a bit haggard, or just plain old. Very fat (but funny of course), grey haired, wrinkly ..........
Women are attractive with good, slim or curvy body. Glossy hair.

Be it film, news reader, weather person, reporter.. Whatever.

StrawberryMojito Sat 26-Jan-13 18:40:31

You and me both.

kim147 Sat 26-Jan-13 18:39:54

I've seen far too many adventure films recently (Volcano etc)

Standard theme is to have a generally male filled expert team. But they have to call in outside help. Normally an attractive female.

Possibility male lead and female lead have relationship. Or have had previous relationship.

I should be a scriptwriter.

Actually, I have to stop using the word actually grin

Actually, depressingly Toni Collette is skinny and stunning IRL. I know someone who has snogged her...

Actually, Ridley Scott tends to have quirky, interesting, not traditional female characters. Blade Runner, Thelma and Louise...

StrawberryMojito Sat 26-Jan-13 18:35:28

Toni Collette has done well. She is far from unattractive but she isn't a head turner (and neither am I). Same goes for Cate Blanchett and...erm...I'm struggling to think of some others...YANBU. I can't imagine the female equivalents of Jonah Hill (get him to the Greek) or Seth Rogan (knocked up) being as successful.

I actually started my comment trying to play devils advocate and have failed miserably.

Sigourney (sp?) Weaver with shaved head and space-combats in Aliens?, Its a bit sad that she could have paved the way for strong female action leads but it never quite happened.

Sigourney (sp?) Weaver with shaved head and space-combats in Aliens?, Its a bit sad that she could have paved the way for strong female action leads but it never quite happened.

There are even categories for the ugly hot men...

Wrinkly hot - George Clooney
Grey hot - Also George Clooney
Druggie hot - Robert Downey Jnr
Stupid hair hot - that Spanish bloke, what's his name?
Funny hot - Brendan Fraser when he hasn't been working out

Can you think of any more?

KatyTheCleaningLady Sat 26-Jan-13 18:24:34

Ben Stiller looks like a chimp!

Anyway, I've noticed that there are a lot of "ugly hot" men. I mean, men that aren't conventionally handsome but are still hot. They're the hottest of them all, in my opinion.

Few women are "ugly hot" however. Women are expected to be pretty.

BelaLugosisShed Sat 26-Jan-13 18:23:16

I also find Ben Stiller incredibly sexy, so I may just have odd taste.

I've had a thing for Brendan for donkey's years, The Passion of Darkly Noon sparked my interest, despite him playing a religiously repressed psychopath who kills people. He was at his peak in The Mummy though, my god with his floppy hair , white shirt and gun belt, I so would.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now