To think i shouldn't have to pay HALF of the holiday, just because i have a child?

(416 Posts)
WhistlingNun Sat 26-Jan-13 14:45:58

My two friends suggested we should go on a caravan holiday this summer with my 5yo dd (neither of my two friends have children).

We've decided on a self-catering Haven holiday and the total price is approx £450 for the week, including funworks passes etc. Only additional costs would be for food and transport, which we'd pay our own way on when we get there.

Anyway, my friends are expecting me to pay half - so £225 - rather than a third - £150.

They say it's because dd will count towards the price too.

I've just checked how much it would be for me and dd to go alone - on the exact same holiday - and it's still £450 - the same price.

The price is based on size and type of caravan, not how many people are in the group. And since the smallest caravan is 2 bedrooms, it's the same price.

(Hope this is making sense).

Anyway, i'm a bit peed off they expect me to pay £225 and they can just pay £112 each. They've reluctantly agreed to go thirds instead (£150) each, but have said it's just to shut me up, they're not happy about it.

AIBU?

IslaValargeone Sat 26-Jan-13 14:53:10

If they are already unhappy about things, I can only see this getting worse to be honest. I can already imagine the petty squabbles over food bills and so on.

WhistlingNun Sat 26-Jan-13 14:53:11

Yes - it's not based per person. The price is based on the caravan.

Caravan's only start at 2 bedroom. You can't get a one bedroom caravan.

It would be £450 fixed price whether 1, 2, or 3 adults were going.

WannaSplitAPineapple Sat 26-Jan-13 14:53:14

Why not say £125 for each adult and half for DD (£75)?

StripiestSocks Sat 26-Jan-13 14:53:20

YANBU, in our family we split it amongst adults. That is very mean of them, it is an adults holiday.

Has it been booked? I would pull out if it were me, as they are saying 'only to shut you up' - not very kind or conducive to a relaxed holiday.

nickelbabe Sat 26-Jan-13 14:53:46

what about agreeing to pay half for your child?

so you would pay 3 halves, of one person, they would pay 2 halves each.
that's dividing the cost into 7s.

so:
£450/7 = 64.28
you pay 3x (£450/7 =64.28) so £192.85
and they pay
2 x (£450/7 =64.28) each so £128.57

you have to take into account that you have an extra person, but I don't think you should have to pay a full adult share for her.

AnyFucker Sat 26-Jan-13 14:53:47

The price is for a 2 bed caravan

They have one bedroom

You and dd have the other

Costs are half the price per room, unless you and dd are squeezing into a single bed ?

You say you shouldn't pay half as it would be the same cost whether or not your dd was coming? Well it would be the same cost whether or not your friends go too, so that logic doesn't work either.

If it sleeps four people and there are four going then it should be split four ways surely?

puds11isNAUGHTYnotNAICE Sat 26-Jan-13 14:53:58

I would have expected to have paid twice for me and my DD. I certainly wouldn't have kicked up a stink and pissed them off before we went hmm

ENormaSnob Sat 26-Jan-13 14:54:09

We have the same with centre parcs. It's price per lodge not per person.

We are using 2 of the 3 bedrooms and therefore are paying 2/3 of the price. Mil and her partner are using one room so paying 1/3.

I would never expect someone to sub me and my dc.

Mutt Sat 26-Jan-13 14:54:36

I think you should pay more than £150 because your DD is going as well so she's an extra person sharing the caravan.

But I can't imagine my friends charging my 5yo a full quarter of the price; £125 each for them and £200 for you and DD sounds about fair.

Then again, I can't imagine wanting to go on holiday with anyone who "reluctantly agrees to shut me up". Nice.

crashdoll Sat 26-Jan-13 14:55:06

YANBU because you've have to pay £450 regardless of if your DD was there or not. It's not per person.

Stropzilla Sat 26-Jan-13 14:55:13

Since its by room not person and you are taking half the rooms you should pay half the cost. YABU. Really you should apologise and pay your fair share or you may find your friends won't ask again.

WhistlingNun Sat 26-Jan-13 14:55:51

I don't understand why i should have to pay half though. If dd wasn't going, it would still be the same price, and we'd only have to pay a third each. But because i'm bringing dd (who adds nothing to the price at all!), i have to pay half?

Shelby2010 Sat 26-Jan-13 14:55:55

Can argue this one both ways, but on balance YABU. Why don't you offer a compromise that you pay £200 & they pay £125 each?

EmmelineGoulden Sat 26-Jan-13 14:55:59

By your logic Whistling why don't you pay for it all? It would be the same price whether they come or not so you should pay the £450 and everyone else can tag along for free.

It's sometimes hard when you socialize with childless friends because you often have a lot more expenses than them and no more income. So I see why you are struggling with this. But they arent BU to think two of you, two of them.

Agree with others - if you're arguing and building resentment at this stage don't go on holiday with them.

StripiestSocks Sat 26-Jan-13 14:56:13

The people saying its four peoplair am soooo glad you are not my 'friend' it would cost the same f the child goes or not. The child has no earnings, so is not very kind to expect the child to pay for themselves.

PickleSarnie Sat 26-Jan-13 14:56:15

YABU. If one of your friends didn't go then the price would be the same too. Should they use that as justification for not paying as much? If there were agree rooms and you were sharing then you should pay less. But there's not so only fair to pay half.

FreePeaceSweet Sat 26-Jan-13 14:56:49

This kind of holiday is pretty much based around kids though. Unless its just being used as a base and you won't see much of them then it'll probably be more focused on your child and what they want to do. Kids change the dynamic.

PickleSarnie Sat 26-Jan-13 14:56:50

Three, not agree. Stoopid phone.

Emilythornesbff Sat 26-Jan-13 14:57:17

Nickelbabe's suggestion sounds good to me.

StripiestSocks Sat 26-Jan-13 14:57:20

Well, that was excellent typing, well done me!

EuphemiaLennox Sat 26-Jan-13 14:57:50

If sharing holiday accommodation you share costs between the number of people going.

If two people were going theyd pay the cost of the caravan between them.

If 3 people were going they split the cost 3 ways.

As 4 people are going you split the cost 4 ways.

As you're responsible for your daughter you pay both your shares.

People book larger accommodation they couldn't afford on thier own and then share it and split the costs to make it affordable. So they fact there aren't any smaller cheaper caravans is irrelevant.

You are basically asking them subsidise your daughter.

Taking kids on Holiday is not usually free.

Ilovesunflowers Sat 26-Jan-13 14:57:55

You should pay half. You will spoil the holiday if you don't compromise IMO. There will be ill feeling in the group.

Shelby2010 Sat 26-Jan-13 14:58:17

But you could use your argument to say it would cost the same if you didn't go at all. In which case they should pay £225 each & you go free!

But crash her dd is going so that point is irrelevant. It would be £450 whether one of her friends went or not so should she not have to pay? Because if she didn't go the total cost would still be the same. That's an illogical way of looking at it.

Agree with anyfucker and others, it should be split by room surely?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now