To have let him off the hook

(106 Posts)
badbelinda Sat 26-Jan-13 14:15:46

Just finished lunch and everyone now skulking in different rooms not talking to each other. Our kids (DS 8 and DD 9) are pretty good eaters, will try anything and not much they genuinely don't like but DS has always hated mushrooms. I had the bright idea that if we had cream of mushroom soup he might like the flavour without having the texture. DH duly made this for lunch as I was on chauffeur duty for all the Sat am activities. DS ate a bit with his bread but didn't like it much. DH told him to finish the bowl (not huge) and I said he should eat at least another 3 spoonfuls. He was struggling then gagged on his food. DH said he spat it out and it was deliberate but I'm pretty sure it was genuine (scarlet face, tears in eyes etc). DH told him he still had to eat his spoonfuls (while DS now sobbing) and I said he should be allowed to stop and thought DH being too hard on him. Lunch disintegrated and everyone upset now. DH thinks I undermined him and I can understand that but I think forcing a child to eat something when they're actually gagging on it is pretty cruel and has potential to give them issues with food in the future. DH pretty tired due to work issues at the moment and I think a bit more short-fused than usual but AIBU to contradict him about this in front of the children and is it likely to breed fussiness?

LovesBeingWokenEveryNight Sun 27-Jan-13 10:52:09

Why on earth would you make so much fuss about this? He talked with you about this and agreed in a very mature way to try the soup. He told you he still didn't like it and you both forced him to eat it......why would he trust you again next time? Surely he'll just refuse to even try it.

Do you and your dh have no foods that you do not like and never eat? Why are you allowed to make that choice and he isn't. I'm not saying you should pander to every whim, but he agreed to try it and followed through with that in a grown up way and his parents reacted like children.

BoneyBackJefferson Sun 27-Jan-13 11:01:04

but from the OP all the DH has done from the start is back up the changing demands of the OP.

pumpkinsweetieMasPudding Sun 27-Jan-13 11:05:19

I don't get why you both made him eat something he clearly hates?
Your dh is cruel for making him eat it.

The issue here is not that your son didn't eat his lunch and you disobyed your dh.
The actual issue is that your dh needs to stop acting like he is the fucking king of the castle!confused

Nancy66 Sun 27-Jan-13 11:06:20

you served up a food that you know your kids dislikes - then watched as he cried and gagged while you insisted he ate it.

Disturbingly sadistic.

Branleuse Sun 27-Jan-13 11:08:19

if i had to eat mushroom soup i would be sick

fuckadoodlepoopoo Sun 27-Jan-13 12:39:02

Clouds. I see what you mean. I encourage my children to try the potatoes but they just don't like the look or taste of them, no matter how i cook them!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now