if you want a child-free wedding you have to expect some people with children won't attend

(47 Posts)
wanderingcloud Sat 26-Jan-13 14:11:18

that's it basically. I'm not knocking anyone for wanting a child-free wedding. You're paying and its your day. But if you do, surely you expect that some people with kids will not go? Even if you don't have kids of your own?

AIBU to believe you should be able to think beyond your own pre-wedding bubble and see that other people have their own priorities and that might involve putting their children first?

DontEvenThinkAboutIt Sat 26-Jan-13 18:04:15

YANBU

She is being silly.

expatinscotland Sat 26-Jan-13 18:00:31

'Might be asking the couple if any other guests are travelling from near you who DH could get a lift with? Then you can explain that otherwise he won't be able to come as if the DC aren't attending you will have to stay at home with them. Just to point out the consequences.'

Or just not bother. Don't see why it's her problem to sort out a lift for the DH. Just tell them you can't come. End of.

Pobblewhohasnotoes Sat 26-Jan-13 17:53:42

I'm not sure what the big deal is. Not everyone wants kids at their wedding, we didn't as we both work with them so wanted a chid free day for a change. We told our friends in advance so they had time to sort child care, no one complained. In the end we had a bf baby there as we wanted our friend to come.

We've also gone to a wedding without our LO. If you can't get childcare all you can do is ask. If not then decline. You don't have to go, there is no 'must'. Likewise if the bride & groom insist then yes they have to expect that some might not go. What I don't understand are people who absolutely can't attend a wedding without their child or get uptight if their kids aren't invited. Get a grip.

Snazzynewyear Sat 26-Jan-13 17:47:29

Might be asking the couple if any other guests are travelling from near you who DH could get a lift with? Then you can explain that otherwise he won't be able to come as if the DC aren't attending you will have to stay at home with them. Just to point out the consequences.

BegoniaBampot Sat 26-Jan-13 16:59:55

I'm surprised some folk have child free weddings but won't make exceptions for siblings children, especially if they live away. Or even for other folk who have to travel or can't get babysitters or are Bf etc. Surely the guests are the most important thing at your wedding. We didn't the children of our guests who lived locally and could get babysitters. Exceptions were made for folk who had to travel and stay overnight and nieces and nephews.

EggsMichelle Sat 26-Jan-13 16:57:59

YANBU - we had a child free wedding ceremony and breakfast, with children invited to the evening for anyone who may not have been able find child care but wanted to join the party. I would never have been upset/offended if people had been unable to attend because of children, but it was also my wedding and I didn't want children running around/screaming during my nuptials.

badguider Sat 26-Jan-13 16:48:25

If you have any kind of wedding you should accept some people can't/won't come - its an invitation not a bloody subpoena!!

LittleChimneyDroppings Sat 26-Jan-13 16:45:55

fairylights I did say to dh that he's welcome to go on his own, but he doesn't want to. In fairness he has a disability that would make it difficult, although not impossible, to travel by train. I don't think he wants the hassle of it though and he'd be utterly exhausted by the time he got there. I could drive him, but 6 hours is a long way, and what do I do when I get there, esp with small kids. Difficult one.

wherearemysocka Sat 26-Jan-13 16:41:27

I guess couples can't say 'Whilst some of your children are lovely and a delight to be around, we find others to be ill disciplined brats whose parents will simply look on indugently whilst they wreak a day that we have paid a lot of money towards and would like to go smoothly'.

Probably a bit more diplomatic to dress it up.

We once attended a child- free wedding paid for by the bride's very wealthy and very uptight parents.

The groom, however, came from a very large, very child- centered Mediterranean family, who totally ignored the instructions and brought ALL the children in the family. There were about fifty kids there altogether and everyone had a wonderful time.

Except the bride and her parents, who refused to mingle and just stood glaring at them all from the sidelines.

I've never understood all this faffing about with weddings - just get married ffs. It' s not a Hollywood production, just a bit of paper (bah humbug)

fluffyraggies Sat 26-Jan-13 16:26:14

What I loathe is when the b and g dress it up as a favour to you to have a child free wedding

^^ this.

It's just a nitty gritty thing, hard to explain, but the invite we recently had for a CF family wedding annoyed me with its wording!

Can't remember the words exactly but it was a big fancy invite, all 3D butterflies and inserts - fine (we did similar ourselves) - but right at the bottom of the last bit of card in small type it said something like:

''oh, and please don't bring any children to the ceremony or the do, because we all want to let our hair down don't we''

hmm nice

Januarymadness Sat 26-Jan-13 16:20:59

I think it is the same with any choice you make about a wedding. You have to realise that your wedding may be your priority but it is not everyones.

Dh and I got married on a Friday and in school holiday times. We realised that that meant people may be away, unable to take te off etc. But as a lot of out CLOSE family were teachers or shift workers etc it actually made a lot of sense and no more difficult than any other day.

We were delighted when some family members came from a long way away and we were both very grateful for the effort. It certainly wasnt an expectation.

feebeecat Sat 26-Jan-13 16:11:30

YANBU
We had an invitation to a family child-free wedding that caused loads of problems. It was in a city centre location about an hours drive away and as it was family, all my baby sitters were already attending. I told bride that it was going to be an issue and that we might have to decline, she came up with a great plan that involved dropping my dcs with a series of old friends (one of whom I had not seen for several years, had never even met my dcs and was in no ways keen on children, the other in the throws of a very messy divorce). I was not sold on that plan, least of all as it would've meant me leaving wedding at least 3 times to relocate the unwanted children and hunting down parking back at venue.
We didn't go in the end, I was told I was an ungrateful so and so as they were only doing it so our dcs wouldn't be bored and we've not spoken since. She now has her own pfb and won't leave him with anyone other than her mum and only then for a couple of hours. I have, so far resisted the temptation to invite her out for the day, suggesting she bounces him around a few random strangers so he wont be 'bored' hmm
I'd like to think that she would now appreciate how unrealistic her demands were. But I doubt it.

MrsBungleBear Sat 26-Jan-13 15:50:37

YANBU.

I had a child free wedding. Totally accepted that some people might not come because of this.

Everyone came except DH's uncle and wife who have not sent us a Christmas card since! grin

I was invited to a child free wedding in Ibizia when DD was only a couple of months old - we didn't go. Sent a nice card and present to the couple. No biggie.

I don't know why people are so mortally offended by it. Just don't go if you don't want to go without your kids or if you can't because they are too young etc.

ProphetOfDoom Sat 26-Jan-13 15:46:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Tee2072 Sat 26-Jan-13 15:46:17

Those aren't friends. Friends are understanding and supportive of your decisions.

Just say 'no thank you.' And go about your business.

KatyTheCleaningLady Sat 26-Jan-13 15:40:40

YANBU. I had a friend get married in a distant city on a holiday weekend. I told her that I'd love to come but couldn't get childcare for the whole holiday weekend. She just replied with a sort of plaintive "but can't you find someone... anyone." I respected her choice to be child-free. But, if she'd said "Oh, it's OK, bring him" I would have gone.

I did get the feeling that she was a bit miffed with me but oh well.

Anyway, they're divorced, now.

pigletmania Sat 26-Jan-13 15:35:46

YANBU I would tell them to go fish. If you can't go you can't go

ENormaSnob Sat 26-Jan-13 15:26:34

Yanbu. I wouldn't be going tbh.

I don't not particularly care about weddings, child free or not.

What I loathe is when the b and g dress it up as a favour to you to have a child free wedding because they want you to be able to relax and enjoy.

thebody Sat 26-Jan-13 14:55:49

I can't imagine a child free wedding as only in Britain could children be excluded from a family event like this. I had kids as bridesmaids and it was lovely.

However if the couple want it child free thats their choice.

You can accept or decline. Your choice.

cheeseandchive Sat 26-Jan-13 14:50:32

YANBU at all

We had children at our wedding (about 15-20) and about 5 babies under 6m (including one two-weeker!) and made it as kid-friendly as possible (Wii area, disposable cameras, colouring in etc), partly because we love kids but because we knew that being kid-friendly was being parent-friendly. We also had an 'optional' evening do, so those who wanted to stay on could do, and those with kids/long drive would feel free to leave whenever they wanted.

There's a difference between someone who hopes you can arrange childcare/make the journey, and someone who expects it. One understands that her wedding is not the centre of everyone's universe. The other does not.

wanderingcloud Sat 26-Jan-13 14:50:01

It's an old school friend.

To be fair, the expectation hasn't come direct from the bride but been passed on from mutual friends.

It's all a bit too teenage drama "thought you should know she said to so and so that blah blah blah" to get into details…

I'm just confused that everyone in said friendship group feels IABU to not go. It's not close by and would involve an overnight stay etc...

fairylightsinthesnow Sat 26-Jan-13 14:44:53

Littlechimney in your case, could your DP not go alone? It is odd not to attend a sibling's wedding assuming they have a good relationship. Generally I agree with the OP. we usually leave our two pre-schoolers with GP for things like this but when we got married we made it ultra child friendly as our two obviously had to be there so we had a bouncy castle and loads of toys (think the kids had a better time than the grown-ups actually)

HecateWhoopass Sat 26-Jan-13 14:40:23

They are being unreasonable.
What have they suggested you do with your children?
You have to attend?
Erm, actually. No, you don't.
Weddings send some people dolally.

I agree OP and I dont mind at all if Im.invited to a childfree wedding as I have access to a babysitter. I appreciate that a lot of people dont though.

If I was invited to a child free wedding of a colleague or distant relatve I would decline, if without childcare, but if it was a best friend or very close family member, one of DH or I would go and the other would stay home with dd.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now