to replace my shampoo with something unexpected

(154 Posts)
HystericalBallads Sat 26-Jan-13 00:31:23

Have NCed as I'm feeling a bit paranoid about this.

I'm pretty certain that our cleaner has been taking showers and using my toiletries. She has been coming for 3 hours a week since September, she's my first cleaner and I've been very happy with the level of cleaning.

I thought I was imagining things at first, but every day or so after she'd been I started to notice that my shower gel and shampoo had depleted slightly. After a while of doubting myself I made tiny marks on my bottles and lo and behold, they had definitely been used.

There is nobody else in the household who could have used them - DS has his own bathroom and DH knows better than to use my toiletries.

I don't know what to do. I am tempted to put something unexpected in one of the bottles, WIBU to put some veet in the shampoo?

£14-£18 on John Lewis website but thats for 480 ml .
And it can be used for shower/bath/hair so very nice.

(BTW I buy mine from QVC so not this price)

But I still wouldn't put Veet in it if I suspected someone (usually my DD in this house) of taking it.
I'm the cleaner here grin

LadyBeagleEyes Sat 26-Jan-13 10:16:12

What's so bad about making a sandwich?

Yogagirl17 Sat 26-Jan-13 10:17:02

"if the cleaner asked if she could use your shower, would you say yes?"

Possibly, depends on my relationship with her and why she needed it. If it was someone I knew and trusted and she said she had to go somewhere straight from my house I might be fine with it. I don't really know.

As for the towel thing, when I used to have a cleaner one of the things she did for me was wash & tumble dry all my towels and then hang them back up in the bathroom - so OP's cleaner could be using a towel then popping it in the tumble dryer for half an hour.

Actually thinking it could well be the DS - even if he has his own bathroom. If he's a teenager (did OP say how old her DS was?) maybe he really wants to smell nice?? And certainly wouldn't put it past a teenager to "borrow" something like that without fessing up.

Just think the OP needs to ask.

whiteflame Sat 26-Jan-13 10:21:52

Well, you pay someone to clean your house. Not eat your food, use your shower, etc.

Would you really be happy for a cleaner to come to your house in the morning LadyBeagle, then stick around making themselves lunch and having a shower so they'd be nice and ready for their afternoon course or whatever?

Oh, I think there's a lesson for us all here..

If you borrow /steal Jo Malone or Philosophy (insert product of choice) from someones bathroom, top it up with Fairy Liquid or the like to avoid detection

grin

MusicalEndorphins Sat 26-Jan-13 10:26:26
seeker Sat 26-Jan-13 10:31:33

When I had a cleaner she asked me if she could shower afterwards because she had another non- cleaning job to go to. Not a problem.

Dawndonna Sat 26-Jan-13 10:34:46

Nothing to add, but I never, ever condition my almost shoulder length hair.

TepidCoffee Sat 26-Jan-13 10:40:20

Apply Occam's Razor here.

Really, it's far more likely that your DH has forgotten (or 'forgotten') your chat about the shampoo than that your cleaner is showering in your house. It's also fairly easy to test this theory - just ask your DH!

KhallDrogo Sat 26-Jan-13 10:59:52

I wouldn't mind whiteflame
But of course, OP is entitled to mind, as is anyone else...just makes me a bit eye rolly about objecting for the sake of nothing

If the son is a teenager id be willing to bet he's sneaking a girl in during the day while op is at work.

grin at all the super detectives convinced it's a man based on conditioner non use. Dp steals conditioner all the time whereas ive recently stopped using it as I switched to argan oil.

Icelollycraving Sat 26-Jan-13 11:18:07

She might be using your stuff,it happens. The cleaner at work put a pair of the girls Havainas once. She had sweaty manky feet & we were all shock She used to lock the loo & sit on her phone & eat McDonald's. The whole situation was grim,I dismissed her.

Icelollycraving Sat 26-Jan-13 11:20:18

I am however baffled how you notice 1 amount of shampoo going though or does she come a few times a week? That would make sense in it depleting noticeably. The veet thing is a joke I assume.

PuffPants Sat 26-Jan-13 11:26:40

I doubt it OP.

It will be your DH or DS.

Emilythornesbff Sat 26-Jan-13 11:30:21

The dh did it. Tepid coffee has it in the bag.
Please update as I NEED to know.

fuzzpig Sat 26-Jan-13 11:31:14

This reminds me of the episode of Friends where Monica is convinced her cleaner is stealing her jeans and bra grin

HystericalBallads Sat 26-Jan-13 12:31:04

OP here.

It isn't DH. I've spoken to him about it, he assures me it isn't him, and I have no reason to disbelieve him.

It isn't DS either. He would rather not wash than use my things and run the risk of smelling "girly". I sincerely hope he isn't sneaking girls in who are subsequently using my shower, because he's 10.

It has to be the cleaner. I hadn't considered the possibility that she might be using my things as cleaning products - I just assumed that she was showering with them.

Re the conditioner. I initially thought it odd that it wasn't also being used, but she does have rather frizzy hair anyway, so perhaps she never uses it?

Anyway, I've had an idea. Rather than putting Veet in the bottle, I was thinking of putting some hair dye in there. If she's using shampoo as a cleaner, I'll see dye stains around the bath. If she's washing her hair with it, she'll end up with coloured hair (it's dark - I could get pink dye or something similarly unmistakable.) DH works from home sometimes, so I could ask him to work from home the next time she cleans and see what colour her hair is.

Emilythornesbff Sat 26-Jan-13 12:34:48

Why not just pop it in a drawer?

Emilythornesbff Sat 26-Jan-13 12:37:26

Actually, I think I might have been taken in by fib here.
In case this is for real. Do not put hair dye in the bottle. It is seriously one of the most allergenic products possible. Potential for very serious harm.

whiteflame Sat 26-Jan-13 12:37:44

interesting that so many people wouldn't mind, never would have occurred to me that this would be acceptable.

OP, I wouldn't put anything in the bottle, seems really mean and excessive. Putting stuff in bottles that are labelled otherwise is a pet hate of mine, I work in a chemistry lab, and it is never a good idea. Chemicals (dye, veet) are dangerous if used wrongly. Plus, you'll waste a whole bottle of your special shampoo, won't you?

Far better to just ask the cleaner. Or just tell her it's too expensive to clean with. Then she'll know you're onto her either way.

Icelollycraving Sat 26-Jan-13 12:37:52

This can't be real. You are thinking of putting dye in it?

fuzzpig Sat 26-Jan-13 12:38:08

Surely if he's at home she wouldn't risk showering anyway?

meddie Sat 26-Jan-13 12:39:42

If the dye even stays stable for long enough and is not visible in the bottle, it will permanently stain your bath.
If you put anything in that bottle that can cause her potential damage I think you would be responsible for any injury (need a lawyer here to give the legal side of it)
But wasn't a guy recently imprisoned for spiking his bottle of drink in the fridge because he believed a co worker was stealing drinks, the thief drank some and sustained an injury if I remember rightly.

Why not let her think you are out and just hide in a cupboard or under a bed.

When she enters the bathroom you wait 10 mins then barge shouting "I've fucking got you, you shampoo stealing harlet"

She will either be in the shower or getting ready to or she will be cleaning.

diddl Sat 26-Jan-13 12:41:04

Surely she wouldn't shower when your husband is there?

Just ask if she is using the stuff to clean with!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now