to buy my son a valentine card so that he definitely gets one?

(101 Posts)

Can't decide if it is a good idea or not. On the one hand I want him to feel good about himself and popular (and know he would be happy to receive one and to be sble to say he got one when his friends were discussing it) but on the other hand I know it's a lie and he would be devastated if he found out so I would
tell no one, not even my partner (his dad).

discorabbit Fri 25-Jan-13 21:48:58

no don't do it

Bessie123 Fri 25-Jan-13 21:49:09

How old is your ds?

HollyBerryBush Fri 25-Jan-13 21:49:32

thats creepy, sorry, but it is

Unfortunatlyanxious Fri 25-Jan-13 21:49:38

Do not do it, could go horribly wrong.

notnowbernard Fri 25-Jan-13 21:49:45

Nah, don't
How old is he btw?

ImperialBlether Fri 25-Jan-13 21:50:09

No, please, please don't get him one. It will only go wrong.

SkinnybitchWannabe Fri 25-Jan-13 21:51:00

Nope I wouldn't. Whats to say all his mates get one anyway.

Sorry but he's 11. I just think if he doesn't get one he will feel bad and I'm trying to avoid that.

What makes you think he won't get one anyway?

my stepmum did this when i was about 15, i knew her writing. it wasnt off my then boyfriend and it massively freaked me out smile made me think she was more of a loon than i already did. It also crossed my mind that she may have wanted me to flash it about all proud just so she could embarrass me. Dont do it.

apostropheuse Fri 25-Jan-13 21:53:28

Well unfortunately sometimes children get disappointed in life, it's just something they all have to learn to deal with. Besides, if he finds out he will be furious.

I wouldn't get one.

Mutt Fri 25-Jan-13 21:53:40

No don't.

It's weird.

He wouldn't feel good about himself if he ever found out his Mum sent it. He'd know you sent it out of pity.

No-one needs a Valentine card and if you start doing this weird thing now you'll have to carry on your strange tradition every bloody year, even if he does end up getting a genuine one.

Katla Fri 25-Jan-13 21:55:03

No, don't do it. I think that's worse than not getting any at all. Generally I knew who any Valentines I got were from (normally some saddo that fancied me, never anyone I wanted to go out with) sad

notnowbernard Fri 25-Jan-13 21:55:10

Do 11yr old boys really give a shit about this sort of thing?

He's 11. He doesn't need a card

Lolling! In some ways I do know it's a bad idea and would be awful if he found out - that's why I would tell nobody. I think the fact that I would then have to do it for the rest of his life is enough to stop me smile

whateveritakes Fri 25-Jan-13 21:57:39

Valentines is just one day to be about about love and fun and not sex. I always got one from my father and it wasn't creepy in the least. However this was 30 years ago so perhaps sadly it might be weird now.

Getoutofmygumboot Fri 25-Jan-13 21:58:25

Why would you think an 11 year needs a valentine card? You don't want him to feel left out? How many of his friends will be getting cards?
Sorry for all the questions, but seriously op it's a really wierd thing to do.

Katla Fri 25-Jan-13 21:58:43

11!! boy, children are starting young these days!

Who knows someone may get him one anyway. If not, I guess it's a first lesson in life about the cruel twists and turns of love.

HyvaPaiva Fri 25-Jan-13 21:59:44

Oh that is quite creepy, OP. Definitely worse than getting none. Besides surely no one even needs valentine's cards? confused

Agent64 Fri 25-Jan-13 22:00:17

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Mutt Fri 25-Jan-13 22:01:01

Valentine's Day is about romantic love.

Not about a parent's love for their child.

And definitely not about a parent masquerading as their child's secret admirer.

That Is Weird.

Annunziata Fri 25-Jan-13 22:01:11

I always send my DC Valentines! Go for it!

determinedma Fri 25-Jan-13 22:02:12

My 11 year old would die of embarrassment at getting a valentine's card from ANYONE!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now