Join us at Workfest for expert advice on kickstarting your career ×

to be horrified that the only way is essex 'look' is spreading throughout the southeast!

(66 Posts)
discorabbit Fri 25-Jan-13 21:46:07

fake eyelashes and tons of eyeliner a kimbo everywhere

somedayma Fri 25-Jan-13 22:27:01

so don't wear it then. you have a horrible attitude. and your 'studying it is different to working in it' was intentionally rude and patronising.

Porkster Fri 25-Jan-13 22:29:16

It might be because I'm getting old, but I find this look so ugly.

The caked on too dark foundation, comedy brows, ghastly fake eyelashes and the ridiculous bigger-than-your-head bun.

I see it on my local Tesco on the check out staff. I am probably like this shock at the till, thinking old lady thoughts like, 'I bet you were pretty as a child...'

AmberSocks Fri 25-Jan-13 22:29:44

they are just clothes,theyonly matter if everybody lets them.

I dont wear any of the things metioned but i woud if i wanted to,or had time to apply them all!
I love being brown but prefer a real tan.

discorabbit Fri 25-Jan-13 22:31:52

somedayma can you elaborate on how i was so rude

somedayma Fri 25-Jan-13 22:34:24

Can YOU explain that comment? What did you mean by it? what else could it mean but 'good luck to her managing to graduate/get a job' followed by a patronising wink? Ugh

HollyBerryBush Fri 25-Jan-13 22:35:03

It's grooming (or lack of) that annoys me.

Wear what you like, how you like provided you dont have that awful foundation tide mark, over foundation caked in spots, badly dyed hair, back combed birds nests that look nit laiden. Oh and cloggy mascara.

I extend that to dirty fingenails and shoes.

AmberSocks Fri 25-Jan-13 22:35:08

i agree with someday it was rude.

80sMum Fri 25-Jan-13 22:35:19

* Change your perception then.*
Not an easy thing to do: it's human nature to make visual judgements on first meeting.

VelvetSpoon Fri 25-Jan-13 22:37:05

I never feel silly smile

tbh I dont do the fake tan every day, I am too tight to pay for a spray tan and too lazy to regularly apply it myself except in summer. I don't wear false eyelashes to work most of the time, but I do wear lots of eyeliner and makeup. I have never had a negative comment about the way I look, other than being told (when younger) that my skirts were too short.

SolidSnake Fri 25-Jan-13 22:39:44

And you shouldn't feel silly VelvetSpoon! Wear what you like. You probably look lovely smile

Actually changing the judgements and perceptions that we have, isn't that difficult.

It helps if you mix with all different people, from all walks of life.

It doesn't take much "to work on yourself". It just requires honesty to where your perception is coming from and why.

It is like any stereotypical POV.

usualsuspect Fri 25-Jan-13 22:40:48

Disco,stop being so old [ grin]

discorabbit Fri 25-Jan-13 22:41:36

'also studying aeronautics is different to actually working in aeronautics isn't it'

where did i write good luck to her graduating?

whateveritakes Fri 25-Jan-13 22:43:20

somedayma obviously made the comment about her daughter to show she has brains - implying that looking stupid and being stupid aren't the same.

discorabbit points out that getting a job when you look stupid might not be as easy. The "oxbridge lawyer" admits to changing her look for court.

I dislike the amount of effort going into looking like something "men want". I agree that fashion should shock the parents but shouldn't we move beyond heels that kill you, dresses you can't sit down in and immaculate hair that costs huge amounts of time and money to maintain.

somedayma Fri 25-Jan-13 22:43:24

you didn't write it. you chose a snarky veiled way to insinuate the poster's daughter wouldn't get very far in her field working like that

somedayma Fri 25-Jan-13 22:44:38

oops I meant looking like that

VelvetSpoon Fri 25-Jan-13 22:51:29

I don't specifically change my look for court. I don't dress up to the nines every day, I like there to be a bit of difference between my day look and my night time look. I think most people do the same.

and I look how I want to. Every boyfriend I have ever had whilst appreciating how I look in all my finery grin has also said I look fine without makeup, and I don't need it, but I like it, so I wear it!

MooMooSkit Fri 25-Jan-13 22:55:18

YABU for being "horrified"

YANBU for thinking it's a horrid look.

OTTMummA Fri 25-Jan-13 23:15:35

It is a very odd look on some people, there is a young woman who works at the hairdressers opposite me who just keeps getting darker and darker, she is somewhere between teak and mahogany, the tanning stuff is all over her fingers, making her hands look filthy! But she is do stunning, really beautiful face, lovely figure and long dark natural hair, you can tell she has freckles as well, which I think are lovely, but she seems to want to plaster over all her natural loveliness, that I find really sad.

meltedcreditcard Fri 25-Jan-13 23:22:41

They do it in the South West too!

deleted203 Fri 25-Jan-13 23:27:55

YANBU. We're in the North and I hate the fact that my highly educated, intelligent DD1 (20) suddenly feels the need to channel her 'inner Jordan'. I can't get my head round inch thick foundation, false eyelashes and the whole 'piled with slap' look in the daytime! I know I'm old but I just can't see why she would want to look (IMO) 'cheap and chavvy'. She's a pretty girl without looking soooo fake.

I thought it was on the decline as well, it seems to be. I don't like it personally but couldn't care less if others do. The only thing that actually bugs me about it is when I get the "What? You're from Essex? But you don't look like you're from Essex..." comments. Every. Bloody. Time.

It's just a trend, much like being an emo kid was a trend when I was in school (didn't like that look either though it was my friend's preferred look!) and whatever trends were about when you were in school.

Though I think everybody makes judgements based on first meetings and appearances, even if they claim not too. You just have a thought in your mind when you first see somebody and what your expectation of their personality is. I choose to embrace that and see it as a personal experiment on my pre-conceived perceptions and notions though.

usualsuspect Fri 25-Jan-13 23:28:59

Cheap and chavvy?

Get over yourself.

MoominmammasHandbag Fri 25-Jan-13 23:37:21

Agree it is a very ugly look; thankfully my DD has been there, done that. I actually think that look is on the way out in our Northern town.

Chottie Fri 25-Jan-13 23:44:54

Very popular look in the SE too. I see lots of school girls with full make-up on on their way to school. They all carry large handbags to carry their school stuff in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now