Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

Poor ds needed a nap in school today

(40 Posts)

I feel so mean, i had warned them that he was tired and could come home if needed. His great grandad has been in hospital and we have visited for two nights out of the five hes been there. visiting doesnt finish until 7.30 then it has been a half hour drive home which has took longer due to the bad weather. By the time he has got home had quick supper and gone to bed its been later than usual

Apparently today he told his teacher he was really tired so she said he could have a lie down, he was asleep for 2 hours! I feel like a v mean mum. Ds nanna was very poorly in hospital a couple of months ago .she was terminally ill and passed away in November, when his great grandad was taken into hosp ds was really upset so ive been taking him to reassure him that he was okay and was being looked after and would be coming home again.

quoteunquote Fri 25-Jan-13 23:23:27

If he was a Danish child he would have a sleep after lunch every day.

Morloth Fri 25-Jan-13 23:30:47

It is fine that he had a nap at school. I can remember being in Kindy at 5 and we all got mats out and had a lie down.

Why not? Napping is nice. I could still use one after lunch at work these days!

Morloth Fri 25-Jan-13 23:31:58

I just asked DS1 and he said at the holiday club he goes to, lots of the Kindy and Year 1s have a nap in the afternoon.

They have a quiet area with bean bags and bedrolls and stuff where they can crash out if they like.

Very civilised.

DoJo Sat 26-Jan-13 02:04:14

Better for him to miss a couple of hours having a nap than a whole day!

Ilovesunflowers Sat 26-Jan-13 03:13:19

I once taught a lad who was going through some family upheaval. He looked tired one day so I arranged some cushions in a teaching assistant work area and asked him if he wanted a nap. He slept deeply for for over four hours. Poor thing. He was 8.

I would always let children who weRe feeling a bit grotty have a nap while waiting for parents to collect. Honestly don't worry about it.

CadleCrap Sat 26-Jan-13 05:48:12

I had totally forgotten about "heads down" time!

CanIHaveAPetGiraffePlease Sat 26-Jan-13 05:58:49

Gosh yes I remember the mats. My memory is in the year 1 class though. I wonder if it was the whole year or just the first term!

lannyshrops Sat 26-Jan-13 07:00:57

grin heads down time! I remember this now! After lunch I think? Oh infants was lovely, painting, stories, I still remember my teachers and lives them!

Oh, and I'm sure he's fine OP, don't worry.

CheerfulYank Sat 26-Jan-13 07:20:31

Here the kindergartners (age 5 and 6) all bring a blanket to lie down with after lunch and recess. smile I think it's just 20 minutes or so.

My DS had a three hour snooze at school last month.
He is 15 and the medical room is very comfortable, apparently smile

mum2twoloudbabies Sat 26-Jan-13 07:45:53

Don't worry better he misses a couple of hours having a nap than a whole day or being stressed, worried and emotional about his ggd. I think you did the right thing all round. My dd is a worrier and there would have been far worse consequences if she had been allowed to worry more.

Looking after your dss emotional well-being is very important.

ah you guys have made me feel better and less useless. you will be happy to know ds has had a massive sleep and is up bouncing around now

FaceLikeAPickledOnion Sat 26-Jan-13 08:21:40

Last year ds2 was born prematurely by emcs in a hospital 20 miles away, ds1 (was 6y/o) and wanted to visit every evening with Dh. Which he did. Bless him he was exhausted at school but it was only for a couple of weeks, his teachers were very understanding and it hasn't done his education any harm.

Don't worry.

Ah thats a nice storyy to tell little brother about his lovely big brother and how much he wanted to see him

Flobbadobs Sat 26-Jan-13 09:11:32

I remember having nap/quiet time right through infant school and that was in the early 80's!
Dn't worry about it OP, my DD was once found fast asleep in the home corner bed, her teacher checked her temp and left her theresmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now