To be bewildered by folk who claim that motherhood has made it impossible to go to the loo alone? Why?

(303 Posts)
Snog Fri 25-Jan-13 19:32:07

What ridiculous nonsense is this?
Just
go
to the loo
alone

BertieBotts Fri 25-Jan-13 20:10:50

grin Visions of turdus with a baby superglued to her arm saying "Help! Help! It won't come off!"

Snog Fri 25-Jan-13 20:11:35

Delish, thanks tardis
Obviously I won't be able to eat it alone

TurdusMerula Fri 25-Jan-13 20:12:16

Which people have to give it up? Why? confused

Anyway, I reckon it probably helps them potty train, if they're familiar with the practicalities of using a toilet <smug mother of kid who potty-trained at 18 months>

BertieBotts Fri 25-Jan-13 20:12:29

My mum still leaves the door open if she goes to the loo at my house, maybe my family is just weirdly open about such things?

BertieBotts Fri 25-Jan-13 20:12:55

Not if DP is around though, to be fair! I mean if it's just us and we're mid-conversation.

Snog Fri 25-Jan-13 20:13:54

I' guess if you like taking your kid to the loo good luck to you, as you were
It's the ones who moan about it and make out that everyone has this problem who weird me out

ceeveebee Fri 25-Jan-13 20:14:33

People can do as they wish but don't moan about it!
And that's not directed at anyone on this thread, I know the thread snog is referring to and some posters are making out that they can't even spare one minute to make a sandwich because their tiny child won't 'let' them

cory Fri 25-Jan-13 20:15:22

Snog Fri 25-Jan-13 19:57:17
"But some women claim that a key benefit of going to work is being able to go to the loo alone."

shorthand for Being Able To Go To The Loo Without Having To Physically Peel Anyone of Your Leg And Then Listen While They Bang On The Door And Scream Until They Are Sick

posters just get a bit lazy with their typing grin

PurpleStorm Fri 25-Jan-13 20:15:55

Depends on the context with DS (17 months).

I can go to the loo alone if we're at home, no problem.

If we're out at other people's houses and he's busy playing with something, or knows the other people very well, it's generally okay. But otherwise, if he spots me heading off, he often follows me, and ends up hammering on the outside of the toilet door and yelling if I don't let him in.

TurdusMerula Fri 25-Jan-13 20:16:08

bertie - now if you'd said nipple, you'd not be far off. would it be wrong to confess that I have breasted whilst weeing? Or is this not the right place...

Whenever I use the loo I seem to irresistibly attract my DH, toddler and both cats (the latter three of whom try to climb on my knee).

Luckily I have no sense of shame, pride or modesty since I was gutted like a wounded kipper in stirrups in front of 16 strangers whilst having DS

JacqueslePeacock Fri 25-Jan-13 20:17:44

If I "just walk off",*one*, my DS follows me. If I shut the door, he screams hysterically. Why wouldn't it just be easier to let him come in too?

tigerdriverII Fri 25-Jan-13 20:18:02

I don't remember DS following me to the loo, apart from when we were out and he'd come in with me. But I went back to work when he was 4.5 m and I don't imagine that his childminders put up with their charges following them to the loo all the time.

scottishmummy Fri 25-Jan-13 20:18:11

I didn't potty train til.it's not baby Olympics.1st arse shitting on pot gets gold
I'm sure prior to embarking on career they'll not be asked when did you potty train

TheMightyLois Fri 25-Jan-13 20:19:23

DS has never been allowed to come with me to the loo, unless we're out somewhere. I don't care if he screamed, itwas just for a minute

I am baffled by all this

Cakethrow Fri 25-Jan-13 20:19:49

I found it fine with 1 DC, same to some extent with 2DC but now I have 3 under 4 I either have to keep DC3 away from the other 2 or he'll be killed with kindness (he's 3 weeks old and the eldest like to 'cuddle' him and bury him under soft toys) or DC1 wants to 'talk to me' while I'm in there or DC2 has a sudden urge for the toilet too - he's toilet training hmm

They notice if I've gone and seek me out and I can't just go in there and lock the door, much as I'd love to, as I've had to take the lock off because the two eldest DC learnt how to lock it but couldn't unlock it, resulting in the door being forcibly removed to rescue them.

ceeveebee Fri 25-Jan-13 20:20:13

I can 100% guarantee that I never went to the toilet with my DM as she would not have stood for that kind of malarkey and I was out of nappies by 18 months

I just put the baby in the cot or playpen and go, even if she has to cry for 5 mins, when you gotta go, you gotta go.

Once dd1 was a toddler She followed me and I used to let her, made toilet training easy as she wanted to 'be a big girl like mummy' and use the potty/toilet. Doesn't bother me really. Now she is 3.5 she doesn't come in, too busy playing.

Snog Fri 25-Jan-13 20:21:07

Ok so have we agreed that if you take your kid to the loo either you like the company or at least don't mind it?
Because it would clearly be easy to stop this behaviour if you wanted to?
I mean if your child creates because you won't let him use a meat cleaver you can stick to your guns without too much trouble?

thesnootyfox Fri 25-Jan-13 20:21:35

I used to agree with you. My sil often said she couldn't get to the loo and I used to think fgs get a grip!

Then I had ds2 and until recently it was really hard getting to the loo and once I even felt a bit of wee coming out.blush

Now I'm past that stage I can't even remember what he actually did to prevent me from going to the loo but it happened. It's all true. I survived, I'm past that stage. I still do it with an audience but I no longer require Tena pads.

Lara2 Fri 25-Jan-13 20:23:22

At the beginning if each year it's not unusual to find a large group of my reception class have followed me across the corridor to the loo and are trying to come in with me! smile I hasten to add that it's a team taught unit, so I'm not leaving children alone. They're usually a bit put out that they can't join me and continue the natter we were having!!! smile

superstarheartbreaker Fri 25-Jan-13 20:24:06

Well op I think you are being a bit unreasonable. Nowadays I am able to go to the loo alone without a commotion (just about) but I do make a run for it. The problem is now that my 4 year old dd will not go to the loo on HER own as she is scared of going upstairs alone. She normally asks when I am doing something like preparing dinner. Agravating! Agggrrr!

MummytoKatie Fri 25-Jan-13 20:25:50

It's a joke I make all the time about work - that I get to go to the loo and no one starts banging on the door. I also comment that if someone else spills something I don't have to clean it up. It's a joke!

Incidentally I think it is a good idea to take toddlers to the loo with you sometimes - otherwise how will they know what to do on the potty. Although dh decided he didn't like this idea so much when he went to have a wee (standing up) and suddenly found a little face peering up at him from between his legs!

ArtfulAardvark Fri 25-Jan-13 20:26:38

We had a funky play pen, the children loved it as it was very bright - I just penned them up when I needed the loo, probably hideously un PC.

thegreylady Fri 25-Jan-13 20:27:39

When I looked after dgs when they were between 1 and 3 I would not want to leave them shut out or on their own when I went to the loo. If anything had happened and they had been hurt I would never have forgiven myself.
Now they are 3.11 and 6.4 I have been able to go alone for about 6 months.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now