To be bewildered by folk who claim that motherhood has made it impossible to go to the loo alone? Why?

(303 Posts)
Snog Fri 25-Jan-13 19:32:07

What ridiculous nonsense is this?
Just
go
to the loo
alone

oneforthemoney Fri 25-Jan-13 19:34:15

I have to say i've always wondered about this too.

Ditto 'finishing a cup of tea'. I sah with 2 dc under 5 and drink gallons of tea.

What if the choice is:

TV on
Toddler in loo
Toddler screaming and banging on the door?

YANBU, I don't understand it either. confused

MardyBraWouldDoEddieRedmayne Fri 25-Jan-13 19:34:56

Well it's not a big deal really. They're just making conversation, it's not a "complaint" as such, just an observation that kids follow you into the loo.

Now my kids are in double figures, I'm generally left alone.

MrsWolowitzerables Fri 25-Jan-13 19:34:56

I have 3 DC aged 4 and under.

I NEVER get to pee in the day without being watched. Either that or I shut the doorand get them knocking on it wanting to come in and gawp.

Its not nonsense, its a fact.

Think yourself lucky you get to shit in peace, not all of us have that luxury!

MardyBraWouldDoEddieRedmayne Fri 25-Jan-13 19:35:57

YABU OP because it's a ridiculous thing to get worked up about.

'Just go to the loo alone' hmm

I'll get right to that once I've stopped the world from turning and the tide from coming in grin

NumericalMum Fri 25-Jan-13 19:36:31

Now my DC is 4 I am allowed mainly toilet time alone but when she was a baby she screamed blue murder f I put her down. Ever. Day and night. It wasn't fun.

LadyBeagleEyes Fri 25-Jan-13 19:36:44

I never had a problem either when ds was little. I even managed to get a shower every day.

jamdonut Fri 25-Jan-13 19:36:51

I thought it was just me who thought that.
I never had any problems going to the loo on my own when I had babies/small children.

Emilythornesbff Fri 25-Jan-13 19:36:54

My toddler follows me to the loo. I thought it was commonplace.

Yama Fri 25-Jan-13 19:37:27

It doesn't bewilder me but I have always toileted alone.

MardyBraWouldDoEddieRedmayne Fri 25-Jan-13 19:38:05

You also seem to have some problems with your paragraph spacing.

NumericalMum Fri 25-Jan-13 19:38:24

I always showered but it involved a very angry crying baby and a lot of anguish from me or jumping in and out of the shower.

Yika Fri 25-Jan-13 19:38:35

My toddler would never let me go alone, she screams and bangs on the door. I don't mind thoughsmile

notnowbernard Fri 25-Jan-13 19:38:49

I'd love to shit in peace envy

hazeyjane Fri 25-Jan-13 19:39:19

with ds (2.6) it is because I can't leave him safely without some sort of meltdown
or incident.

with the dds (5 and 6) it was more because, when they were toddling age they would just follow me around and I usually left the door open.

I suppose I don't really complain about it though, I'm sure one day I'll be able to go to the loo without someone following me in there. Then I'll have to talk to myself!

Snog Fri 25-Jan-13 19:39:33

but why let them follow you?
why not use the bathroom door?
are you trying to raise a generation of perves wink?

PoppyWearer Fri 25-Jan-13 19:39:38

My DC2 is 17mo and usually climbs onto my lap when I'm sat on the toilet. At least he's not bf'ing anymore...

Shutting the door not possible, he is intent on causing himself considerable physical harm "learning through physical exploration" and I need to keep an eye on him.

So....YABU. Each child/parent is different. Well done on having DCs who will play unsupervised.

MardyBraWouldDoEddieRedmayne Fri 25-Jan-13 19:39:42

I witnessed DD's first steps when I was sitting on the loo. I would have missed that if I'd shut her out.

Mind you. I wouldn't have known that I'd missed it, and would have thought the next instance was her first time iyswim.

3monkeys3 Fri 25-Jan-13 19:39:51

I have 3 under 5 and mainly get to go alone.

JacqueslePeacock Fri 25-Jan-13 19:40:25

What do those of you who go to the loo alone do with your toddlers while you do so?

PoppyWearer Fri 25-Jan-13 19:41:07

Showering is possible, but I have a little face pressed up against the glass and banging on it for the duration.

coldcupoftea Fri 25-Jan-13 19:41:19

I can't go to the loo without my toddler following me in and asking "are you doing a poo or a wee?" very loudly. Every time, without fail, including friends' houses, restaurants, public loos... Think yourself lucky!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now