No cold caller signs

(52 Posts)
EuphemiaLennox Fri 25-Jan-13 17:40:26

I have out put up a no cold caller sign by my front door.

I did this because I was fed up of having to repeatedly stop whatever I was doing and answer my front door to people selling things, collecting for charity, asking if I wanted new windows or buy horse manure etc etc.

I think it has minimised the numbers calling but a few obviously don't notice it, or don't check first and still ring the bell.

This has happened twice in the past week and when I've answered the door and they've launched into their intro I've interupted and said ' I'm sorry I don't accept cold callers' and pointed out the sign, and on both occasions I've had quite unpleasant reactions from them.

One was selling something, not sure what, and told me to get lost. I asked who he worked for and said his rudeness was unjustified , he told me he worked for himself so I could shove it.

The second was collecting for a charity for liver failure for children. When he called I was in my office, (I work from home) in a meeting with a client, I had to break off and answer the door, I again stopped him mid intro and pointed out my sign and said I was actually working right now. He then kind of sneered at me, curled up his lip and walked off shaking his head.

I felt a bit shaken, and this has played on my mind, as I was 'off'with someone collecting for what was no doubt an important cause, and he obviously thought me a hard nosed bitch.

BUT he knocked on my door, of my home, unsolicited, where there was a sign if he'd looked saying I didn't want him to, he'd interrupted my working day and invaded my choice of how I spend my time in my own home.

How does anyone else deal with cold callers?

AIBU to cut them off and point out my sign, even if they are collecting for charity?

Should I just get a bigger sign?

EuphemiaLennox Sat 26-Jan-13 19:21:08

I've never had the door to door sales people ask to come inside.
That is very suspect.

RafflesWay Sat 26-Jan-13 17:50:24

Koala as the mother of a very autistic dd I found your dh's response to charity collector hilarious and so typical of someone with ASD! Makes total sense - she asked for the envelope and she got it. Hahaha that will make me titter all night now. Love him!!!

pigletmania Sat 26-Jan-13 17:32:21

YANBU I have one of those signs and some people really need to go to specs avers. I do open te door as it could be a delivery, neighbour, friend

SpicyPear Sat 26-Jan-13 16:13:42

LoveFilm have started with door to door. I think they are worried about losing market share to Netflix etc. But that sounds very intimidating and I would be complaining to them.

I don't think I've ever heard of LoveFilm going door to door, I wouldn't have let them in either. I'd probably mention them to the local police just so they could make vulnerable and more trusting people aware.

amazingmumof6 Sat 26-Jan-13 03:24:19

teajunky I know, easily said! it's just so difficult to think quickly when you feel threatened like that! thank goodness your neighbour was around and they left.....

you know I'd ask around if they are still lurking - perhaps even talk to the local police? they seemed very dodgy to you, and if they are con artists or worse the police might be looking for them....

I used to get into dumb/uncomfortable situations just coz I'm a chatty person and friendly and helpful - thank goodness for that scene in Silence of the Lambs where the girl helps the psycho with the sofa then gets trapped in the van - it was a real eye opener! (how sad is that?)

sorry OP for diverging...

TeaJunky Sat 26-Jan-13 03:06:22

amazing - good idea!

I knoww...as soon as I said it, I thought what have I done shock

I'm not the kind of person who thinks before she speaks, unfortunately !

amazingmumof6 Sat 26-Jan-13 02:49:46

teajunky - poor you, how scary! not sure if saying you are on your own is a good idea though!!!

if I'm asleep in the day or out or by magic have an hour for a lovely bath or just busy I put a sign on the door saying

"Post and deliveries, please knock twice, but if no answer please accept that I'm unable to answer the door and kindly deliver to xyz"

that says nothing about whether I'm home or not, yet the instruction is clear! it works really well

TeaJunky Sat 26-Jan-13 01:57:52

I opened the door to two men last week, one evening, who were apparently selling love film. One of them was huge and just stood there staring at me while the other talked. Then the talking one said,

'Is it ok if we step inside a moment or two.'

My street is a quiet cul de sac
( but my neighbour opposite was stood in his garden and we were in plain view of him), I am six weeks post natal, DH wasn't home and my four year old was sat on the stairs behind me. I immediately felt vulnerable, even standing there with the door open and that strange, huge man just stood staring.

So I said no, I'm sorry I don't feel comfortable with that as I'm on my own. confused

The talking man casually glanced over towards my neighbours house (to check if he was still there? he was), before saying yes of course i completely understand. I closed the door after politely saying bye.

I came away from the door feeling shaken.

We have the MSE sign and since it's gone up we haven't had a single cold caller thankfully!

amazingmumof6 Sat 26-Jan-13 01:34:29

when my oldest was just a newborn I was 27, but the patronizing git in the door started with" hi, is your mummy home?"
I know I looked younger than my age, but really? so I decided to be just super sweet, but play with him if I can. it worked out perfectly,
the rest of the conversation went like this:

me: I don't know if she's home, why?
git: well, I'd like to talk to her
me: ok, you can try, but it won't work, she won't talk to you
git : well. I'd just like to talk to a responsible adult!
me: ok, I give in,
if you want to talk to my mum, that's fine, but first you have to learn Hungarian as she doesn't speak English!
And I've no idea if she's home because not only we haven't lived in the same house since I got married, we don't even live in the same country!

And I think I must be responsible enough at the age of 27 if my husband thinks it's safe for me to look after our newborn all day by myself.
but tell me what you think? responsible enough for you?
<cue cheesy grin from me>

MrsDimples Fri 25-Jan-13 21:52:54

We have two signs up - door and window - from the council.

Doesn't stop a lot of them.

I tell them to fuck off whilst pointing at the signs. Especially the religious cunts.
The charities get an even bigger gob full too.

Sometimes I ask them if they can read before telling them to fuck off.

If they make a smarmy come back I stand and scream at them for ages.

KatyTheCleaningLady Fri 25-Jan-13 20:52:12

You can smile while you do it. Big smile and interrupt them with "I'm sorry, we never deal with cold callers" while pointing at the sign. Then shut the door and walk away.

The important thing is to not wait for a response. Just move on.

Years and years ago, I tried telemarketing. I was crap at it. But, I learned a very valuable thing: it was better when people just hung up on me. A simple "No thank you....*click*" was perfectly OK. It meant I was free to dial the next number. My feelings were not even a little bit hurt.

catloony Fri 25-Jan-13 20:52:02

I donate to charities when money allows but I hate being put on the spot by a person, I would rather they advertise on TV or other ways. They knock on the door and try to make you feel guilty, I actively avoid those charities now as its too aggressive at times.

Also when I have had a direct debit for a few pounds a month which I can afford and I getca call asking me to up the amount and I say that I cannot afford it and they keep going on and on, I could only afford the 4 pound and they were trying to get me to up it to 12, I said no I couldn't, they seemed to stay on script and said well £9 per month. I ended up hanging up as they kept on talking, I changed to a different charity in the end due to the call.

EuphemiaLennox Fri 25-Jan-13 20:34:54

Has that stopped her thought Koala??

Katy I may practise my opening the door, pointing and shutting it again, with dh pretending to be a trades person ready to launch into spiel, then I should be able to do this more effectively than I have been doing.

Really though I have lingering guilt about refusing charity collectors at the door, I want to explain to them that I am nice really and show them my standing orders to various charities, when rationally I know it's none of their business and I shouldn't care what they think of me.

MrsKoala Fri 25-Jan-13 20:16:02

grin

Poor DH. I can just imagine what her face was like when he closed the door, he smiled at her like she was a loony and handed her envelope with a patronising 'here you go you bonkers cat lady' smile. She must have thought he was really laying it on thick - sadly these interactions are not unusual. I often am the translator between DH and the greater public. The world is a bewildering place.

I think your new sign is worded effectively - i may copy it.

KatyTheCleaningLady Fri 25-Jan-13 20:13:25

I'd say the only thing you're doing wrong is waiting to see/hear their response.

Cut them off, point at the sign, and shut the door in quick succession.

EuphemiaLennox Fri 25-Jan-13 19:59:05

grin koala that is brilliant.

MrsKoala Fri 25-Jan-13 19:55:18

There is a woman on our street who clearly has too much time on her hands collects for many charities. She drops those envelopes off in the day when we are out then peers thru her nets and comes knocking at the door about 1 minute after we arrive home.

Last summer i was heavily preggo and got home knackered and hot so went straight up the stairs for a shower. The door knocked so i ignored it. She continued to knock till i eventually went down soaking in dressing gown and answered. She said 'i've been knocking for ages, i knew you were in' <sigh>

Anyway DH (is aspergers and) doesn't understand things like this so one day she knocked and he answered but i was upstairs so heard:

Ladysadpresumptuous tone) I've come for my envelope
DH: Sorry? confused
Lady: The envelope, i've come to collect the envelope
DH: You want an envelope? (calling up the stairs) KOALA, DO WE HAVE ANY ENVELOPES?
Me: I think she wants the envelope she has put thru the letterbox back...
DH: What?
Lady: Yes, I posted an envelope thru earlier and now i've come to collect it.
DH: Why?
Lady: For charity, i collect them back for charity
DH: Oh, right, (picking up said envelope from hall floor that he was standing on and handing it to her) here you go (smiles, closes the door)
DH: (looking perplexed at me who is now down the stairs looking bemused at him) I don't understand how posting envelopes thru letterboxes then collecting them helps charity (shrugs) how weird...
Me: (laughing) because you are supposed to put money in them...
DH: WHAT?!!! (incredulous face)

EuphemiaLennox Fri 25-Jan-13 19:27:42

Ok, I've made my own sign, it's bigger and I'm going to out it right under the door bell. It says:

NO COLD CALLERS

We do not wish to accept unsolicited calls from any trades person or vendor, any charitable organisation, or religious group.

If we wish to buy your services or goods, donate to your cause or join your religious sect we will contact you.

Thank you.

Do you that should be more effective? It's more specific than my current sign.

Fairylea Fri 25-Jan-13 18:45:55

Well we have a frosted glass front door and they have to walk past our living room window to get there so I can usually tell if it's a cold caller.

I don't open the door. smile I stand and shout at them asking what they want. Often they don't reply and wait for me to open the door. I just leave them to it until they sod off. Sometimes they shout back and I say no thanks.

Mum has a sign saying "did I ask for you to knock on my door? No? Then you're a cold caller and I shoot them".

I find going to the door bf a baby, or even better a toddler is a big conversation killer not that I would have ever deliberately started feeding them to get rid of someone smile ok well maybe once or twice - generally they say 'oh I can see you've got your hands full', unfortunately ds is a bit old to do that now, but 'I'm sorry my toddler is playing with crayons/paint/knives' usually gets rid of them. I do detest them, and their phone friends, though with tps, ex directory etc there aren't too many of them.

amazingmumof6 Fri 25-Jan-13 18:35:55

or you could say, "no, I'm not interested in double glazing, but just about to give sponge bath to FIL, care to join me? he's just been wormed and I have spare gloves, you should be fine..."grin

HecateWhoopass Fri 25-Jan-13 18:30:38

LOVE the ketchup hands thing! grin

zlist Fri 25-Jan-13 18:26:24

I have found that one cold caller sign doesn't fully work. I have three - so there is absolutely no missing them. I haven't had one cold caller at all since I went up to three. I recommend it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now