To think that I don't actually HAVE to leap to answer my phone if I don't want to?

(98 Posts)
HecateWhoopass Fri 25-Jan-13 17:05:10

Because my husband is driving me up the bloody WALL with it.

I don't have to stop whatever I am doing and find my phone if it bleeps. It's a text. I can read it in a bit.

If I am busy and the phone goes, the person will leave a message. Or I'll check the number and if I recognise it - I'll call them back.

So why oh why does my husband leap up and pass me my bag as though the damned thing will explode if a text is not answered at once?

It's not a royal bloody command. I can get it in 5 minutes, for crying out loud.

Pavlov's ruddy dogs. That's what it is. Drives me potty.

quirkychick Fri 25-Jan-13 17:29:39

hecate my dp is exactly the same! Before I lived with him (lived in different city) he once phoned an ambulance because I couldn't get to the phone.

I had a migraine and had spilt something all over kitchen so ignored ranted at constant ringings on mobile and landline, while he thought I was terribly ill. I had to explain to the ambulance service over the phone that I was, in fact, fine.

Dh will get up and answer the phone when we are in the middle of dinner, or when we have guests. And then he'll tell them he can't talk because he's busy. Not sure what the thinks the answermachine is for.

MIL, OTOH, will phone, and then when we answer she'll say in a slightly disappointed voice, "oh I didn't really want to talk, I was just going to leave a message". I should teach her about text messages!

I have the phone set to do different rings for different numbers so I know to run for the phone if it is school and to ignore it if it is MIL, who probably doesn't want to actually talk to me anyway.

SillyBlueHat Fri 25-Jan-13 17:42:04

MIL drives me mad with phonecalls and texts, expecting an answer straight away. I swear she watches her phone all day waiting for contact. If I don't answer my phone she'll call DH and vice versa, then she will text us both to say she can't get hold of either of us. Grrrr.

Pilfette Fri 25-Jan-13 17:52:27

I saw a great Stephen Fry bit where he said he feels like phones are the equivalent of someone walking up to you, banging their fists repeatedly on the table in front of you whilst saying (loudly) "talk to me, talk to me, talk to me..." and that's why voicemail is a great invention!

HecateWhoopass Fri 25-Jan-13 17:57:38

I am torn between quirky's suggestion of giving him biscuits and moving in with amazingmum! grin

angrytree Fri 25-Jan-13 18:15:15

My MIL's hobby is talking on the phone, and she can't not answer the house phone - she'll even get out of the shower to get it. Despite this, she never knows where her mobile is, and every single time it rings she spends ten minutes looking for it because she can't remember which pocket of her capacious handbag she's put it in... sigh

amazingmumof6 Fri 25-Jan-13 18:17:53

pilfette I saw this too on QI

amazingmumof6 Fri 25-Jan-13 18:19:11

hecate as before you are welcome! with 6 kids it's mayhem, you wouldn't even hear your phone!grin

Tee2072 Fri 25-Jan-13 18:21:01

I hate the phone and only answer it if I feel like it or if I know the number.

My husband is, thank god, the same way.

My mother, on the other hand, cannot leave a phone alone. We'll be on Skype (US to UK) and her phone will ring and she'll answer it. "Oh, can't talk now, on Skype with Tee." Just don't answer the damn thing!

whateveritakes Fri 25-Jan-13 18:21:02

Although I am now finding the answerphone too intrusive.

I dropped my son off at a friends for sleepover and the other mum and myself went for a spontaneous drink in the local village pub. I got back at 11.30 to find a message from my brother (brother wanted me to babysit the following night) and from my mother wanting to know why I hadn't answered the phone to my brother.
I walked round to pick up my son next morning at 9.00.
By 9.30am I had two more messages from my mother both asking me to ring her, one where she had rung but not left any message, one from my friend with just "ring me" as the message (she's a bit dramatic) and one from my other friend saying he was worried as no one could contact me.
Seriously?!

WorkingMummyof1 Fri 25-Jan-13 18:21:50

hectate - sorry - but that sounds so sweet hehehe "leap up and pass me my bag"! (ducks).

i ignore phone if busy and open letters when have time - dh has to rip open the envelope as soon as he sees it, however ignores phone "if he doesnt feel like talking" even though it is right next to him! grr!

fluffyraggies Fri 25-Jan-13 18:22:08

nickelbabe

*the telephone ringing is an invitation to you to answer the call.
it's not a demand.*

Pleeeeeease come and explain this to my mother smile

WorkingMummyof1 Fri 25-Jan-13 18:22:54

whateveritakes - hehehehe!!! that is so funny (and sweet - ducks again).

Spero Fri 25-Jan-13 18:26:16

I never answer the phone because it never rings at a time convenient to me. So when I do have time, I check for messages and phone people back. I don't understand people who rush to answer or think it is rude not to answer. If it is important, leave a message.

HazeltheMcWitch Fri 25-Jan-13 18:28:27

I've got an app especially for making groups of people from my contacts, who then get sent to voicemail. Well, I can switch their banishment on and off. But it's usually on. I love it.

ArielThePiraticalMermaid Fri 25-Jan-13 18:31:00

YA so NBU.

My DH is exactly the same.

And his mother calls at 7pm every Sunday, despite every week being told "I'll ring you back - we're about to eat". But he still leaps to answer it.

Tee2072 Fri 25-Jan-13 19:03:33

Oh hazel what app for what phone?

44SoStartingOver Fri 25-Jan-13 19:06:17

I take your point, but last time I refused to take a call from DH - letting it go t message instead - someone had died. I felt awful, but I was busy. In the end he had to call via reception.

HazeltheMcWitch Fri 25-Jan-13 19:08:14

Tee - it's MuzzlePhone for Android. It's a bit cheesy (it's COWBOY themed!), but does the job...

Tee2072 Fri 25-Jan-13 19:17:33

Darn, I have an iPhone...will see if they have it.

Thanks Hazel.

JohnSnowsTie Fri 25-Jan-13 20:09:49

The only people who ever phone me are the ones who expect me to drop everything and accommodate a visit from them NOW... and when I don't answer leave passive-aggressive voicemail complaints about my not being at their beck and call.

LexiLoganberryBump Fri 25-Jan-13 20:35:08

^the telephone ringing is a invitation to you to answer the call
it's not a demand.

What a great way of putting it.

I don't always answer the phone, I screen calls and if it's not convenient or frankly I just don't want to speak to the caller then I just ignore it. My mum will ring repeatly and when I eventually answer will say "oh I assumed it was because the number was coming up as withheld" well unlock your bloody number then, they choose to withhold the number.

My PIL rings and when they get me or I call them back they expect a explaination about why I didn't get the phone, was I out, where was I, why didn't I answer. I want to tell them to fuck off it's none of there business but I never do.

nickelbabe Fri 25-Jan-13 21:10:29

but •44• it wasn't urgent - they had died. they had eternity! you shouldn't feel guilty

GrimmaTheNome Fri 25-Jan-13 21:22:39

A much-respected colleague of mine had a saying 'a phone has no constitutional right to be answered' (he was american) - he'd grasped what too many don't, that if you're in a face-to-face meeting the phone takes lower priority than the person who's there.

dh and I both work frm home - there's times when we cheerfully ignore the phones and the door (even though it must be obvious we're in, two cars on the drive and dog barking so we're clearly not walking).

My favourite form of communication is email. It waits till I'm ready to look at it.

PretzelTime Fri 25-Jan-13 21:34:52

I like this thread!
I know a lot of people who get really offended if you don't answer calls and text messages immediately. They think you have died or that you hate them if there is some time before you answer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now