To wonder how the hell I'm going to get out of this car park?

(16 Posts)
ComposHat Fri 25-Jan-13 18:37:28

No problem, not half as stupid as what I did. Went to visit my parents in the Midlands last weekend. I got out of the car as the heavens opened!

Thanks for the tip either way Compos, I will try that should I be so silly to get stuck on ice again blush I can't believe I did it. I should have just gone to a different soft play when I arrived and saw the ice!

ComposHat Fri 25-Jan-13 18:11:15

Oops sorry saw you got out! Glad to hear it!

ComposHat Fri 25-Jan-13 18:10:43

Have you tried pulling off slowly in second gear?

Less wheelspin

I got out! My mats didn't provide traction but ten minutes with a spade from the play center and I got free smile

They tried to tell me it had been gritted this morning. The ice was an inch thick at least and had no grit on the surface and it certainly hadn't been from rain/snow today as there wasn't any hmm But the girl on duty was lovely in trying to help!

Bejeena, sorry, mis read what you wrote. It's not snowing, it snowed on tuesday and whilst most roads and places are now gritted/clear, the soft play center hasn't bothered to grit or clear their car park spaces, only a line down the centre. So once I drive the foot out of the car park spot we'll be fine!

Not much ice at all, just a thin sheet gut enough to spin the tire and stop them gripping!

Thanks! I'll use the car wells carpet things, they need replacing any way! It's only the front wheels stuck but they are stuck well!

The lad on the desk offered to help, but he's a very young lad and quite small, out was a nice offer but I don't think he'd be able to give it a good shove!

Bejeena Fri 25-Jan-13 15:17:05

It depends on how much ice you are talking about but in all honesty unless you have good all weather tires can you not just arrange to get home another way and return with grit to get the car out? Or have you got chains for your car and can someone in play centre help you fit them? I wouldn't drive in snow or icy conditions without winter tires and snow chains for emergency and I personally would only drive if essential.

Stay safe, that is the most important thing.

DawnOfTheDee Fri 25-Jan-13 15:14:14

x-post with lougle & pootles! Great minds....

Paiviaso Fri 25-Jan-13 15:13:54

Can you find some passersby who wouldn't mind giving your car a push? Or find someone who has a shovel or any other useful tools in their car?

DawnOfTheDee Fri 25-Jan-13 15:13:30

Have you got a mat or something in the car you can stick under the tyres then slowly try and back out? Helps the tyres get a bit of grip.

Maybe ask the soft play place....a bit of carpet or heavy duty type mat would be best.

lougle Fri 25-Jan-13 15:13:26

x-posted with pootles. That's what you need to do - something under your tyres that will give you some traction to get you going, then slow but steady driving once you're going.

lougle Fri 25-Jan-13 15:12:41

How much ice? Have they got any cardboard boxes that you could break down and put under the wheels?

Pootles2010 Fri 25-Jan-13 15:12:09

Could you try taking the bits of carpet out the foot wells, putting them under the wheels then driving over them to get you off the ice, iyswim?

Just that really. Bought the charges to soft play, saw the car park was snowy still but didn't have an option to park elsewhere as have sn charge with me and he can't walk very far so park up and promptly get stuck on ice. So I'm parked (badly) but I have to leave in an hour or so and the soft play center has no bloody grit or alternative (yet didn't bother making their carpark accessible). why did I think this was a good idea?

Any good ideas for how I'll get my car out? Left my shovel with dp to clear the drive i didn't think I'd need it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now