to think the grammar and punctuation test should not be a big deal

(11 Posts)
Sallyingforth Fri 25-Jan-13 16:10:50

Of course it's vitally important. Even more so in these days of auto-correct and txtspk.
If you leave school without being able to express yourself clearly - verbally and in writing - then you are always going to be at a disadvantage in a competitive world.

degutastic Fri 25-Jan-13 15:57:31

YABU, schools are clearly failing to teach this successfully because the standard of English is so low in young people today. Therefore, more focus on spelling and grammar is a good thing. If this test forces teachers to spend more time on the basics, I think it will be progress.

specialsubject Fri 25-Jan-13 15:56:23

oh FFS. No 'SUBSTITUTE' for being able to write correct English.

pushed 'post', not 'preview'. Happily real life allows correction before issue!

specialsubject Fri 25-Jan-13 15:55:16

regardless of how it is taught, it DOES matter. Auto-correct is only an aid and no subject for being able to write correct written English.

English is a difficult language to learn even as a native speaker, so the more help and testing, the better.

I can't speak for the youngest children, but based on letters and emails I receive from GCSE students looking for work experience, whatever we have been doing has been a dismal failure.

valiumredhead Fri 25-Jan-13 15:40:11

Ds has grammar homework every week, I'm really impressed with what they cover as standard. He knows tons more than I do grin

wineandroses Fri 25-Jan-13 15:04:24

Well, I think Gove is a twat who shouldn't be allowed anywhere near schools, education, pupils, teachers...

But looking at that test, I don't think it is true that all schools teach this stuff anyway, because there seem to be so many children leaving school who haven't got the foggiest idea of how to use grammar, punctuation etc. Not saying mine is perfect, but I have seen some truly terrible examples of poor writing.

kim147 Fri 25-Jan-13 14:58:48

You're missing the point - schools teach it anyway and can see in the writing if children can use it. That's a part of everyday writing assessment.

We have stand alone lessons to teach grammar and punctuation.

My point is - it's now being tested. Which means schools will be judged by the results so they will go over the top teaching this stuff to the test. Schools do this stuff normally but now it's going to be teaching to the test.

I'd fail at grammar tests. I don't need to know how to spell now I have auto correct grin

SirBoobAlot Fri 25-Jan-13 14:54:35

YABU. Grammar and punctuation are hugely important, and identifying when children are having difficulties is equally so.

kim147 Fri 25-Jan-13 14:47:25

And schools should just do normal grammar teaching as usual rather than getting all stressed about it?

Here's an example test.

www.hleducationservices.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/english-grammar-spelling-and-punctuation-test-sample-materials.pdf

Except of course, Gove and OFSTED will use it as something to attack schools with. And will publish results.

But I've looked at it and it does look like the normal stuff that should be being done anyway. If schools focus too much on it. that won't be good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now