Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

in thinking that there should be no delay in being seen for an ultrasound appt?

(33 Posts)
Dumbanddumber Fri 25-Jan-13 13:34:33

So, I had an ultrasound appt. today. 12.15 pm. I was seen at 12.40 and as far as hospital appointments go, not bad. But not when they have asked you to to drink 2 litres beforehand and that you needed to have finished drinking an hour before the appt. I was in agony - I have an over active bladder sad and I really thought I was going to end up peeing in my pants. I felt sorry for the pregnant women there too.

AIBU to suggest that it is cruel to keep women waiting with immensely full bladders and that the NHS should get their act together and make sure that we are seen on time?

(Off to the toilet AGAIN after drinking a ridiculous amount of water.)

Yes, YABU and I think all these examples will have shown you why.

I had 5 MC. So I've had a fair few shitty scans and I can't say it ever occurred to me to feel sorry for the people with full bladders. The absolute worst time was sitting in a wheelchair, sobbing, in a hospital gown, having been brought through from A&E. I was put straight to the head of the queue, but we still had to sit in the waiting room for about 10 minutes till we went through. Nobody in that waiting room looked like they minded us going to the head of the queue.

And even with my one healthy pregnancy, the scans still took a while as DD wasn't very cooperative and refused to get in the right position.

galwaygirl Fri 25-Jan-13 15:30:45

YABU, plus as others have said you don't need a full bladder. At my 20 week scan with DD I couldn't hang on so had literally just come out of the bathroom and got called in - ended up being asked to go and empty bladder again when they needed to double check for placenta praevia.

MrsReiver Fri 25-Jan-13 15:54:16

I don't think the OP was having a pregnancy scan, so perhaps the full bladder was a specific instruction relating to the nature of the scan she was having.

gasman Fri 25-Jan-13 16:03:09

Nature of the service. Sometimes over runs etc are unavoidable.

I'm often in the position of taking critically unwell patients (ie Intensive care patients) to scan. I'm afraid if you are that sick and you need a scan it requires a massive amount of organisation and the convenience of those you displace in the queue for the scanner tends to not to be of prime concern.

It isn't very safe for ITU patients to hang around in waiting rooms so we do just jump the queue. Depending on departmental layout you might be unaware that this is what has happened.

For US scans the sonographer comes to us. Again it may be urgent and again the patients in the waiting room might be unaware that the person doing the scans has been off the unit.

It is unaffordable for the NHS to have scanners sitting empty on the offchance that someone might become critically unwell.

DIYapprentice Fri 25-Jan-13 16:11:35

I think you're right Mrs Reiver. I had a scan when I was in my early 20s, not for a pregnancy, and the first one had to be done with a full bladder and then I had another one done with an empty bladder. Apparently it shows different parts of your internal organs. (Although I did have to have a bit of a wee because I simply couldn't wait - stopping was hard!! blush)

Overreactionoftheweek Fri 25-Jan-13 16:41:54

I got potentially bad news at my 12 week scan (turned out fine fortunately) but I still resented waiting around 2 hours for every scan - I'm not exaggerating, the wait was unbelievable.

I've moved now so am hoping that if I ever have a dc2, this hospital will be better staffed. It's scary how understaffed maternity stuff is

Spatsky Fri 25-Jan-13 18:29:49

My daughter had to wait nearly an hour with a full bladder for a bladder scan at the age of 3! It was very frustrating but I always work on the basis that I expect everything NHS will run late.

MummytoKatie Fri 25-Jan-13 20:07:03

When we had our second scan at the early pregnancy unit (had had bleeding and they couldn't find a heartbeat first time so they sent us home for two weeks to see what happened) our appointment was for 10am and I didn't get scanned until 11:50am.

It would have been a hellish wait anyway - for anyone who hasn't been imagine 10 slim women staring into space all knowing that more than half of them will be told their babies have died - but by the end I thought my bladder was going to explode. Then they couldn't find the baby because my bladder was too full so I got to go to the loo and have an internal scan. (Where they found a blob with a heartbeat. grin )

The only amusing bit was afterwards dh literally diving in the loo as he was desperate but hadn't wanted to go as he thought it would be tactless!

The way I see it is a little bit like childbirth - I knew when I was in labour with dd that my friend who can't conceive would give anything to swap with me but that didn't mean that it didn't really really hurt!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now