Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to be pissed off that my dh doesn't know my eye colour?

(31 Posts)
staverton Fri 25-Jan-13 12:56:04

DH is at work, filling out a form and just texted to ask my eye colour. WTAF?
He then texted brown? He wasn't actually sure.
They are brown, very dark and distinctive.
My dd has eyes just like mine and they are commented on a lot.
He says he doesnt have a visual memory. We have been married 10 years (and are very happy)
AIBU to be pissed off?

apostropheuse Fri 25-Jan-13 19:58:13

Sorry, not password hint. Security question to send you a password reminder type thing.

Callmedoe Fri 25-Jan-13 19:57:36

Idris doesn't know the colour of my eyes but then he is colour blind

apostropheuse Fri 25-Jan-13 19:56:33

I would imagine "What colour are your wife's eyes" will be a password hint. Perhaps.

jendot Fri 25-Jan-13 19:53:30

I have no idea what colour dhs eyes are!!! I have just checked my boys to see what colour theirs were and looked in the mirror to check mine were brown as I thought... shockDoes that make me a bad person?

Infact I don't know my mums or dads or sisters eye colour!

Obviously not something that is too important to me!

zipzap Fri 25-Jan-13 19:36:54

Its a difficult question. I don't know what colour my own eyes are - if I get asked I say they're not blue. It's easier than trying to explain that they're a sort of yellow- Hazel-brown-green-khaki-grey-sort of colour with a dark grey circle round the edge and a few spots of extra colour in for good measure. And the dominant colour changes depending on what I'm wearing and what the surrounding colours and lights are. So when I was younger someone would ask, I'd say they're green for example and then they would tell me I was wrong they were yellow or grey or whatever.

What colour are his eyes? If he's like me and they are always changing or not a real definite colour then maybe he just doesn't really bother thinking about eye colour?

StinkyWicket Fri 25-Jan-13 19:09:03

I think it's a bit odd tbh, I know DH has blue eyes, as do two of my sons. One has browny/hazelly/greyish eyes.

DSS has brown eyes like me though grin

BalloonSlayer Fri 25-Jan-13 18:52:58

DH and I were playing one of those "couples board games" that's supposed to make you get closer and end up having sex.

He got the question - what is your DW's eye colour?

Didn't know. hmm

Outcome - One tearful and offended me, blustering and apologising DH and NO shag.

freddiefrog Fri 25-Jan-13 18:46:10

We have a foster child who we regularly have to report missing to the police. Last time I called I was asked their eye colour and realised I didn't have a clue. The police officer told me that it's something that happens a lot - he had a mum talking about her 14 year old son who was stumped at the eye colour question

nqtatwitsend Fri 25-Jan-13 18:38:55

Some time ago 'brown eyed girl' came on the radio and my DP said how much he liked the song because it reminded him of me. My eyes are green... we'd been together for 5 years at that point. I was really hurt at the time but I'm over it now. He is the most unobservant person I know.

slug Fri 25-Jan-13 16:38:39

Pah! DSis has different coloured eyes. We pointed this out to her DH on their wedding day. He hadn't noticed.

kim147 Fri 25-Jan-13 16:31:31

Ask him when your first kiss was grin

Or your first date.

AreYouADurtBirdOrALadyBird Fri 25-Jan-13 16:22:25

I just asked dh what colour my eyes are. He told me they are brown.

They're grey. Ah well.

staverton Fri 25-Jan-13 16:20:22

Ok ok fair enough I will go easy on him when he comes home

My eyes are almost black. Pretty bloody obvious.

kim147 Fri 25-Jan-13 14:59:53

I'm not entirely sure what my eye colour is.

katiecubs Fri 25-Jan-13 14:59:29

I've read about this somewhere - unlike hair colour, eye colour is not often taken in and remembered so don't be too pissed off!

My dad did the same with my mum after 30 yrs together lol.

mathsconundrum Fri 25-Jan-13 14:56:48

I've been with dp for 20 years. I'm not absolutely certain of his eye colour.

wineandroses Fri 25-Jan-13 14:56:04

Maybe he wanted to ask how you would describe them - like if he thought 'hazel' but you preferred 'brown' or if he thought 'grey' and you thought more 'blue'. Anyway, he got the colour right didn't he? Your eyes are brown (and v dark, and v distinctive...). Not like he said "blue?".

musicmadness Fri 25-Jan-13 14:51:13

I'm not certain what I'd describe my own eye colour as let alone anyone elses. I'm not a big fan of eye contact though so it takes me a long time to notice anyones eye colour.

As long as it's not just you he forgets details about don't worry about it!

DPotter England Fri 25-Jan-13 14:47:47

Even Elton John in 'Your Song' didn't know 'if they're green or they're blue'.......

StuntGirl Fri 25-Jan-13 13:36:57

I just text my boyfriend to ask what colour my eyes were and he replied "Brown/hazel".

They're green grin

We're the other way around. I couldn't tell you what colour DH's eyes are just from thinking about him. I have asked him, and tried to "learn" the answer, but to be honest I've forgotten again. I mean, they'll be some sort of blue-grey colour, that's his overall colouring, but what they look like? Meh.

DH on the other hand, cares deeply about what people look like. I find it almost rude! He notices instantly if people have changed their hair colour or been on holiday. If HintofBream had been even a slight acquaintance of his when she got the coloured lenses, he'd have said "What's going on with your eyes?"

kim147 Fri 25-Jan-13 13:26:55

Some people are crap at remembering things like that. If I had to describe someone who I knew well, I still think I'd fail.

staverton Fri 25-Jan-13 13:22:05

I suppose that's it. That he doesn't notice or remember.
Bah!
Ok so maybe IABU.

It was a form for setting up a new company, heaven knows why they needed to. Maybe because it's an identifying feature, even though some people dont notice...

My DH is like this. Been together 14 years. I used to be offended, but now just realise it's who he is. He doesnt know my date of birth, or favourite film etc. He wouldnt notice if my hair was a different style or colour. If he could remember/notice important things about others, but not me, then I would be upset. But he's crap with everyone equally!

StuntGirl Fri 25-Jan-13 13:16:06

I don't think it's something to get too annoyed about. You obviously place more importance on noticing eye colour than he does; that doesn't make him wrong for not noticing though. I bet there's some other part of you he thinks is attractive that you hadn't even noticed. I'd let him off this time smile

Am v. curious what work form he was filling out that asks for his wife's eye colour!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now