Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To have said i found a priest physically attractive? Friend thinks it's 'wrong'

(36 Posts)
UncertainMum Fri 25-Jan-13 12:53:22

I was at my daughter's school talent show today with my friend. She asked me who the man was at the front with the head teacher (she couldn't see his collar because of how he was standing). "I said he's the parish priest, he's really good looking, isn't he?"

She looked disgusted! She said it was terrible saying that about a priest because they represent God. i asked if she thought he wasn't good looking, and she got a bit flustered and said she doesn't look at priests that way. Yet she's usually the person pointing out nice-looking men wherever we go.

We're both Catholics and it's a Catholic school if that matters.

HormonalHousewife Fri 25-Jan-13 12:55:56

No. I think you have been honest.

Peggotty Fri 25-Jan-13 12:58:26

I personally don't think it's wrong, but your friend obviously feels differently. Sex and religion can be a very murky place sometimes!
You just saw a good-looking man and your friend saw a priest....

willyoulistentome Fri 25-Jan-13 12:58:37

Not wrong to think it. Temptation is NOT a sin, as our old priest used to say. If you ever DID anything about your fancying him - now that WOULD be wrong!!

AlwaysWantingMore Fri 25-Jan-13 12:58:52

Your friend's attitude is a bit odd, anyone can be physically attractive regardless of their job or vocation. Priests seem 'forbidden' because of their vows but that just means they have made a choice about their sexual and personal relationships, not that they are somehow immediately ugly. As long as you weren't throwing yourself at him wink I think you have nothing to worry about!

YorkshireDeb Fri 25-Jan-13 12:59:19

I don't see that being a priest would stop him from being attractive & don't see a problem with you saying so. It's not like you said "I wouldn't kick him out of bed"! X

RooneyMara Fri 25-Jan-13 12:59:48

I don't think it's wrong but then there's a lot of things Catholicism thinks is wrong that I don't, iyswim.

Ilovexmastime Fri 25-Jan-13 13:01:30

YANBU. She sounds mad. It was an observation, that's all.

IslaMann Fri 25-Jan-13 13:02:12

I'm guessing that when she hadn't seen his dog collar she was lusting after him. Then felt guilty. Hence her protestations. You're just the more honest if the two of you.

Thumbwitch Fri 25-Jan-13 13:02:28

Your friend is being weird, IMO. hmm

HE took the vow of chastity, not you. That means YOU are at liberty to find him good looking. YOU can fancy the pants off him! HE isn't supposed to feel the same (or rather, he is supposed to be able to eschew normal human feelings in the service of God) - because HE took the vow of chastity/abstinence (or whatever it's called for priests, chastity is for nuns, isn't it)

Chelvis Fri 25-Jan-13 13:04:43

I know a gorgeous priest, every woman in my parish must be a bad Catholic because when he covered some Masses, every woman from 8 to 108 was blushing and swooning at him! He's still attractive even if he is a Priest - although I do think it would be wrong to be flirty with one, same as I wouldn't flirt with a married man (well, I'm married now, so I wouldn't flirt with anyone!)

loopylou6 Fri 25-Jan-13 13:05:07

shock priests can't shag?

Tallgiraffe Fri 25-Jan-13 13:05:31

YANBU - I'm married to one grin Anglican, I grant you, but still I reckon he's goo looking!

meditrina Fri 25-Jan-13 13:05:40

Observing that you find someone's looks pleasing is fine.

Lusting after a man who you know has made vows (whether priestly or indeed matrimonial) which makes him unavailable to you is wrong.

MarianneM Fri 25-Jan-13 13:06:16

My DH is going to be a priest - am I allowed to find him attractive ;)

Tallgiraffe Fri 25-Jan-13 13:06:34

Goo hmm good obviously!

jidelgin Fri 25-Jan-13 13:07:48

YANBU It's not like you were trying to throw the leg over him or anything

MardyBraWouldDoEddieRedmayne Fri 25-Jan-13 13:10:17
HormonalHousewife Fri 25-Jan-13 13:10:33

Makes confession interesting anyway if you have to repent tour 'lustful' thoughts...

Farewelltoarms Fri 25-Jan-13 13:11:17

Jeez has she never seen or read The Thorn Birds? Ahh nostalgia for Father Ralph de bric-a-brac and Meggie. 'Remember Father, roses have nasty, hooky thorns,' etc, etc.

Your friend is being weird - I reckon she was looking at him "that way" until you told her who he was, and then she got confused about being caught out by totally normal feelings.

Celibate people can still be physically attractive.
And they can still recognise that other people are physically attractive.

They just aren't allowed to follow that though into action.

Farewelltoarms Fri 25-Jan-13 13:11:39

Mardy - you and I crossed posts - showing our age...

Farewelltoarms Fri 25-Jan-13 13:13:13

And oh my god, that trailer. Classic. Even in 49 seconds you can see just what an amazingly wooden actress she is. And there's something of the Cliff Richard about him which makes it difficult to believe he's transported by passion.

MardyBraWouldDoEddieRedmayne Fri 25-Jan-13 13:13:27

And remember that music Farewell - "Ding-y Ding-y Doo Dah..."

MarianneM Fri 25-Jan-13 13:14:22

P.S. Not all priests are celibate - including Catholic (and I mean married!).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now