Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

AIBU re: Work Kitchen Etiquette?

(38 Posts)
StickEmUp Fri 25-Jan-13 12:19:58

First world problem here.

At work we have a really small kitchen to make tea/coffee, it allows about one person in.

Well why do some people when I'm trying to make a tea - takes all of 1 minute - still lean over me to get to the cupboard to get their cup out and then squeeze on to the end or the side, and make a tea perched on the end.

I have actually mentioned this to one person, they looked told off, I felt guilty and they have been alright since.

This morining someone said can I get a glass out for a water, I said I'll only be a sec and they proceeded to still lean over me to the cupboard.

WAIT!!!!
ALL OF 30 SECONDS.

It's a bit about personal space too.

I know IABU to let this annoy me but AIBU to expoect people to wait, and then glare if they don't?? angry

Goldmandra Fri 25-Jan-13 15:24:06

That made me shudder!!!!!

UGH!!!!

StickEmUp Fri 25-Jan-13 15:23:06

my god, typos. Sorry.

StickEmUp Fri 25-Jan-13 15:22:22

spatch I started to doubt posters who said the smiley was passive aggressive smile smile smile smile

I actually only meant to emphasise, wasnt shouting really.

I could have been more awkward like I say. HR, accusations. ETC

He wasn't being a pervert over me, I am sure. He's a nice chap.

Just impatient.

Hence the post.

BUT he's not the only one. The last straw.

GOLD at school we had a teacher like that. We lured him once, the prettiest girl agreed top stand right in the corner stocking her bum out while talking.

Yes, the Mr. French teacher made a beeline for her.
boask

I feel stabby when people get in my personal space. It makes me so cross so yanbu. It doesn't take long to wait for someone to finish doing something does it?

atthewelles Fri 25-Jan-13 15:11:49

Sounds awful Stickemup I don't blame you for being pissed off.

spatchcock Fri 25-Jan-13 15:09:45

Sounding very reasonable now with all the shouting, OP! smile

Goldmandra Fri 25-Jan-13 15:07:42

*If I REALLY REALLY wanted to be awkward I would have asked him why I couldnt nearly feel his penis against me

HE WAS THAT CLOSE*

Ugh! I hope that wasn't why he was doing it! I had a boss who used to look for excuses to squeeze through gaps against women and invaded their body space at every opportunity. Vile man. We all knew what he was up to and these days I would be very vocal about calling everyone's attention to the fact he was doing it although these days I don't think he'd bother anyway!

StickEmUp Fri 25-Jan-13 14:25:37

Why couldn't you just pass them the glass? The fact that you said "I'll just be a sec"

He came in and it's such a small space his body was againts mine before I could pass it.

'I will be a sec' was meant to be a hint to get his body off me.

He didnt listen.

If I REALLY REALLY wanted to be awkward I would have asked him why I couldnt nearly feel his penis against me

HE WAS THAT CLOSE

Goldmandra Fri 25-Jan-13 14:23:36

I would just put everything down and barge past them out of the kitchen saying "I'm sorry. Was I in your way? Let me know when you've finished."

atthewelles Fri 25-Jan-13 14:13:00

Why is saying 'I'll just be a sec' being difficult? Quite a normal thing to say in a cramped space I would have thought. People who can't wait for a couple of seconds for something they want are the difficult ones, I would have thought.

DreamingOfTheMaldives Fri 25-Jan-13 14:07:56

Why couldn't you just pass them the glass? The fact that you said "I'll just be a sec" shows that you had no intention of passing them a glass and were going to make them wait until you had finished. They obviously thought you were being difficult about it, making them wait rather than pass them the glass, so decided to lean over and get it.

StickEmUp Fri 25-Jan-13 13:17:02

The kitchen on my floor is absolutely tiny too - probably smaller than the size of a look cubicle and just enough room for a sink, little fridge, a tiny bit of work surface, the little hot water machine and cupboards above

^^ this.

Anyway I got my foot trod on and leant all over today
I'm right
<gavel>

WingDefence Fri 25-Jan-13 13:14:45

*a loo cubicle

WingDefence Fri 25-Jan-13 13:14:22

YANBU - The kitchen on my floor is absolutely tiny too - probably smaller than the size of a look cubicle and just enough room for a sink, little fridge, a tiny bit of work surface, the little hot water machine and cupboards above.

Saying that, most people wait in the corridor just the person in front has finished but in your situation just step back/forward into them or tread on their toe and then say 'oh sorry, but there isn't enough room for two people in here, is there? hmm'

I'm so glad I work from home now!

EldritchCleavage Fri 25-Jan-13 13:05:24

Well, I don't think YABU. I don't like that kind of space invasion. Or impatience.

My bugbear is people who come right around my desk and stand bang next to my chair so I am trapped in the corner and they are in my personal space staring at my screen. Just stand opposite me in front of the desk or perch on the widow sill to the side like a normal person. Is it telling that only men do it?

StickEmUp Fri 25-Jan-13 13:03:52

YANBU, BUT! I think it may be you (and me!) to some extent? and yes if I am the only one with a problem I can accept it might be me.

New plan - Body Build then Sucker Punch them out the kitchen grin

?

StickEmUp Fri 25-Jan-13 13:01:46

but maybe you are spending a little long in there?

I've been here 5 years, 4 cuppas a day 1 min to make each.

Maybe? Dunno!
I do work as well, and I am the ONLY one who ever offers to make tea.
Only my boss accepts. So actually I usually make the 2.

But then again this is AIBU I'm now drip feeding!
haha

Then again it is not the end of the world I can laugh about it too.

atthewelles Fri 25-Jan-13 13:01:39

You sound like you need to de-stress a bit Gin. It's one minute

GinAndSlimlinePlease Fri 25-Jan-13 12:57:43

gosh, 1 minute to make a cuppa? That's ages.

I barely have time for a cup of tea at work, so I do rush in, fill mug, dump teabag, rush out. I wouldn't push anyone out the way but I might get a little annoyed if they took a minute for One cup of tea.

You're well within your rights to get annoyed when people shove you or hurt you. but maybe you are spending a little long in there?

atthewelles Fri 25-Jan-13 12:56:37

Also, this idea that if you're making yourself a cup of tea you should offer to make one for everyone else in the place would drive me mad. You'd never get anything else done.

CooEeeEldridge Fri 25-Jan-13 12:55:22

YANBU, BUT! I think it may be you (and me!) to some extent? Our work kitchen sounds similar, and I wait untill it seems that everyone's done their stuff and go in, I use it as a tiny break and bit of respite from the office, so get massively oissed off when people come barging in! Just wait a sec!!!! If only every on was like us and waited their turn eh op?! wink

But I can see that other people want a drink, and they WANT IT NOW!!

redexpat Fri 25-Jan-13 12:54:29

I don't think YABU. Personal space, like you said.

StickEmUp Fri 25-Jan-13 12:49:44

back that's a point there.

Maybe I am an anal bitch. I dunno. Probably <shrug>

Just being leant over this morning was really dismissive, and I am careful about knocking into people and barging. I'd rather wait.

Backtobedlam Fri 25-Jan-13 12:46:29

The trouble is people probably don't realise you're in there until they are up from their desk, so they either look a bit if a tit by sitting back down for 30secs then going back up, or they hang around you and wait/get on with what they want.

StickEmUp Fri 25-Jan-13 12:43:11

Thanks welles my point exactly.

I would not begrduge a glass passing being given an opportunity to do it.

I was just leant over like I didnt exist.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now