Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To feel sorry for the cats living in prison?

(115 Posts)
Samu2 Thu 24-Jan-13 21:46:00

Now watching "Inside Death Row" with Trevor.

I feel very sorry for the poor cats who live in a cell, especially when they are in lock down.

ComposHat Thu 24-Jan-13 23:48:51

I have two black cats, I am white, I bought them so they could do tricks for me & look cool about the place

They are a pair of Uncle Tom cats, letting themselves be used for your entertainment.

Maybe there's also a Black Panther-wannabe group getting up in arms. Paws

Possibly led by Meowcolm X

How can someone kill a woman and a child but love an animal as much as he says he does?!

Lueji Thu 24-Jan-13 23:58:42

Well, if they have a cat, they can't expect Green Mile mice in there.
Let's hope they don't get cancer or anything. It might kill them...

Oh I forgot bout Green Mile. The scene where he going off to be put in the chair and hes giving the big guy the mouse sad

This fella is really creeping me out. I'm not sure what it is about him but it seems like all he said was just him playing up to the camera. I honestly don't think he is genuinely remorseful

Catchingmockingbirds Fri 25-Jan-13 00:03:31

Could the cats go into the yard (learnt about 'the yard' from watching films about prison) for a wander? Maybe that's why they don't like lock down, because they have to stay inside the prison, rather than just inside the cell. I recon the cats could definitely squeeze through the bars without a problem.

Compost - you may be right - I could have sworn one of them was getting all uppity & wearing a pair of spats last week.

cateerob Fri 25-Jan-13 00:48:21

my kitties live inside, we live in a flat in london, they have no sense at all would run under a car if they went outside, they seem happy enough they have each other to play with, they would prob love a prison, lots of beds to sleep on and someone to pet them all day...

I don't know if this link will work, but the cats in prisons programme was started by cat charities, as an alternative to them being PTS.

www.catster.com › The Scoop

valiumredhead Fri 25-Jan-13 08:07:53

God that programme gave me the creeps last night <shudder>

One cat was on a lead so not free to get through the bars.

expatinscotland Fri 25-Jan-13 08:37:59

'But please, why, why why do you have indoors only cats?'

Why not? They don't get hit by cars, drink antifreeze or eat poisonous stuff that inconsiderate people leave out, get shot with air rifles or set on fire by thugs, get pregnant or get other cats pregnant, get into fights with other cats, get attacked by dogs, kill birds. All sorts of reasons.

The murder of Cory and Jenna Clark, for which Frederick Baer is on Death Row, was horrific! Baer chased down little Jenna after murdering her mother. Cory Clark's husband, the father of her two daughters (her elder child was at school), was in Florida looking for work at the time of the murders.

valiumredhead Fri 25-Jan-13 08:40:42

expat interesting, dh said last night he would like to hear the police's version of events to see if they matched Baer's.

expatinscotland Fri 25-Jan-13 08:51:00

At first, Baer did not admit his guilt. He has also a very long criminal history and IIRC, may be tried in another state for at least one rape (although probably not as he is on Death Row already).

valiumredhead Fri 25-Jan-13 08:54:29

Dh said he bet that it wasn't the first time he had raped/attempted rape.

mrsjay Fri 25-Jan-13 08:57:09

load of people have house cats who never go out I had an outside cat who hated being in I guess the cats are there for company and probably catch the odd mouse or 2 I think they will be well cared for and loved

mrsjay Fri 25-Jan-13 08:57:44

oh thread has moved on

Shinyshoes1 Fri 25-Jan-13 09:04:34

I wonder what would happen to the cat if he did squeeze through the bars . I wonder if he goes in solitary confinement and loses all privileges grin

LetMeAtTheWine Fri 25-Jan-13 09:07:23

Perhaps the cats were all little rogues like the one that was arrested in Brazil...

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-20920848

expatinscotland Fri 25-Jan-13 09:08:47

No, it was not the first time he raped/attempted rape. He had a long history of criminal behaviour, which he admitted to, and drug use.

ilovesprouts Fri 25-Jan-13 09:11:06

they should not be allowed cats in with them sad. i really felt sick wen he said hed killed the mother and her dd .

FrustratedSycamoresRocks Fri 25-Jan-13 09:19:24

letmeatthewine "it's hard to know who's behind the action because the cat doesn't speak" grin

LetMeAtTheWine Fri 25-Jan-13 09:24:30

I know sycamore - the whole thing is genuis. I think, considering they managed to figure out that the phone was smuggled in to enable communication, they are on top of it though. PHEW! grin

LetMeAtTheWine Fri 25-Jan-13 09:24:56

Sorry - Frustrated!

expatinscotland Fri 25-Jan-13 09:26:59

It's to try to keep violence down, ilove. This is always a major problem in prisons, as you saw from the show.

Surely it's not safe for the cats, those men have killed humans for the sheer hell of it, what's to stop them hurting an animal?

expatinscotland Fri 25-Jan-13 09:29:37

I do wonder about that, Summer. A lot of these men admit to having 'snapped' when they committed murders, and if they couldn't see the human being they killed as a person, what about the poor cat? But then, a lot of them were under the influence of drugs when they killed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now